Windows XP Pro Question

wyantm06

Ok, well first off let me start off by saying I am in a networking/computer repair class at school and my teacher setup a thing with MSDN or something to where we (his students) can get cheap software and such. I am look of getting this http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/2315/untitled0fy1.jpg for free, I already got the product key and all I need to do is check out the CD through him. My question is though is since it says XP Pro (single user) does this mean I can only use this key once? Or will I be able to use it again if I reformat my HDD? Please fill me in if possible. Thanks!

I think you can use it only on one computer but install it more than once. Home edition can be installed on more than one.

Yeah see I don't know. It's kind of to hard to believe then if it can be used more than once on the same PC, since it's free. I know if it's only a one time use one then I better not reformat my HDD again, which I like to do every so often.

Yeah see I don't know. It's kind of to hard to believe then if it can be used more than once on the same PC, since it's free. I know if it's only a one time use one then I better not reformat my HDD again, which I like to do every so often.

You can reformat anytime you want if you have a back up of your system partition. I recommend that you install the OS and modify your computer to your satisfaction and when you think you have all you need installed back up your system drive and no matter what happens you can always restore your computer to how you backed it up.

Ok, well first off let me start off by saying I am in a networking/computer repair class at school and my teacher setup a thing with MSDN or something to where we (his students) can get cheap software and such. I am look of getting this http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/2315/untitled0fy1.jpg for free, I already got the product key and all I need to do is check out the CD through him. My question is though is since it says XP Pro (single user) does this mean I can only use this key once? Or will I be able to use it again if I reformat my HDD? Please fill me in if possible. Thanks!

MSDN, depending on the terms, may not be a full legal copy.. Most of the time as soon as you leave that school/company the key is considered void.. Some places have a program like schools where you can inherit the licence and keep using it.  As far as what the licence covers most of the time it is based off cpu.. My guess is that it is a single cpu licence..

MSDN, depending on the terms, may not be a full legal copy.. Most of the time as soon as you leave that school/company the key is considered void.. Some places have a program like schools where you can inherit the licence and keep using it.  As far as what the licence covers most of the time it is based off cpu.. My guess is that it is a single cpu licence..

Well he said the only thing that expires when we leave the class is our account. Nothing will not happen to our product key or anything. Actually it was $11.99 if you want the disc and product key, or you could just get the product key for free and sign out the disc from the teacher which is what I did. So now I have a legal copy. But now when I got it all installed I selected "turn-off automatic updates" because I don't know about that new update everyone is talking about if it just searches your PC for a legal version of Windows, or do they search for anything else like downloaded music and movies? Thanks guys! Much help...

But now when I got it all installed I selected "turn-off automatic updates" because I don't know about that new update everyone is talking about if it just searches your PC for a legal version of Windows, or do they search for anything else like downloaded music and movies?

It is going to have to be only for their products.. otherwise they are going to have major legal issues. 

I know I got my copy from a educational agreement.. for about $10.. when I graduate I have to call MS to get an offical licence, the little paper thingy with the serial code..  I guess is just depends on what type of program you have.

It is going to have to be only for their products.. otherwise they are going to have major legal issues. 

I know I got my copy from a educational agreement.. for about $10.. when I graduate I have to call MS to get an offical licence, the little paper thingy with the serial code..  I guess is just depends on what type of program you have.

He never told us anything about it only lasting for so long. I don't know it is a MSDN thing where we sign in with a Login he made and then we login and get our copy. If it does run out when the class ends I am going to be upset. I will ask him Monday when I go into school.

Provide link

ill give u $20 to buy and mail me a copy

I honestly would...If I could! I already tried getting another one after I got mine, and it wouldn't let me. I went to school and asked him why, and he was like because people would sell them. It's like he already knew what I was going to do lol.