The Star Spangled Banner in Spanish

cholla

SERIOUSLY OFFENDED  :angry5::angry4:  :angry5:  :angry5:  :angry5:

I just heard about this & will put the article below.This offends me .What next The Declaration of Independence & The Constitution.

What's the difference in doing it in Spanish or Arabic.Some things should be left alone.

I hope all the people that don't go to work Monday to support immigrants are fired.

I didn't post the Spanish version & I hope no one does.

I guess it starts :

Jose can you si 

This is the article.

Latino pop stars record Spanish 'Star Spangled Banner'

NEW YORK (AP) - Mexican pop diva Gloria Trevi, Puerto Rican reggae stars Ivy Queen and Tito El Bambino and other Latino artists are recording a Spanish-language version of the U.S. national anthem in a show of support for migrants in the United States.

The Latino-oriented record label Urban Box Office (UBO) said Saturday it plans to release the new version of The Star-Spangled Banner to coincide with the U.S. Senate's debate on immigration legislation next week.

Congressional debate over immigration bills proposing everything from toughened border security to the legalization of undocumented migrants in America have triggered huge demonstrations across the United States in recent weeks.

"We chose to re-record The Star-Spangled Banner to show our solidarity with the undocumented immigrants and their quest for basic civil rights," UBO President Adam Kidron said in a news release.

The recording, dubbed Nuestro Himno or Our Anthem, is set to "rhythmic Latin musical arrangement" but respects the song's traditional structure, UBO said. The song will be primarily in Spanish with a few words sung in English.

The song is on the album Somos Americanos, which will be sold for $10 US, with a portion going to Washington-based National Capital Immigration Coalition, UBO said.

Others participating in the Spanish version of The Star-Spangled Banner include Voz a Voz, Frank Reyes and Kalimba. UBO said it had also approached other artists, including Daddy Yankee and Don Omar, about taking part in the project.

I'm  Puerto Rican Serving in US AirForce and like Cholla said some thing should be left alone. I also found that disrespectful and annoying :bs:. One thing is freedom of speech. but if you are coming to this contry(US), well you better learn the language and suck it up if not hey you can always go back where you came from. I know nothing will piss me off more than something like the national anthem will be translated to another language than what it was intended for. What's next The National Anthem from Puerto Rico, Mexico, Cuba being translated to English? not even that I heard the Spanish version it doesn't even make sense. The bottom line is let the US national anthem,or other contry alone there is no need to be translated to other language. Like I said before and I will keep saying it If you don't like the rules we have GO BACK WHERENEVER YOU CAME FROM

Bottom line is most Americans are afraid to stand up for anything due to fear of being labled a racist or biggot. :( Too bad for that. Our country will slowly degrade... and eventually crumble... all because Americans are afraid to tell anyone that anything they do is BullS#!t and that we wont put up with it.

I totally agree with you but when you are right then you are right. Some one has to put and end to it. I am really ashame for the PuertoRican singers that agree to do this.

I must say you get alot of respect from me. You get it... most people don't. Once you come to my country and you serve in my military I consider you American and nothing less. I am sure you are proud of your Puerto Rican heritage none the less. I just wish more people could "get it" like you do. If I went to Puerto Rico I surely would NOT do anything to offend their culture or heritage. On a lighter note WHERE IN THE HELL DID YOU GET YOUR AVATAR. That thing is dope. :haha: drop it like its hot. :haha: We don't have a emoticon that can convey how much I laugh at that.

Hi folks,

Very interesting thread, by the way i was born in bronx NY, but 60% of my life living in PR, sometimes things including The Star Spangled Banner should only be singed in its native language thats is americans theme and should be kept that way. Will any Native Puerto Rican like "La Borinque

I guess I was lucky enough to be born with the US citizenship and yes I'm proud of my heritage but, what this group of people is doing is like going to your house and take a dump in the middle of your dinning table. (I'm sorry if that was to graphic) by the way I found a link with the "Spanish"national anthem I hope no one gets offended but here is the link    http://mm.zonai.com/himno.wma for who ever wants to heard how ridiculous it sounds

Honestly it sounds good.  But it sounds ridiculous and it has no business being recorded and sold for any purpose.  But keep in mind that whoever made this project does not represent the entire Hispanic community. Because of idiots like those artists that contributed to make such ridiculous theme of the National anthem makes Hispanics look even worse.....

I'm not a racist or prejudice.I live in between Americans of Mexican decent.& have went to school & even partied with more than a few.This is a historical song that should be left in English.If our national language had been Spanish & it could have been if things had went a little different.& it had originally been written in Spanish.I wouldn't want it changed to English.I doubt if there is another country that this has been done.

This is beyond free speach & should be made illegal.I bet 60 days in jail would be enough to stop it from being sung in anything but English.They compared it to the Hendrix version but that was in English just done in rock/blues music with some fighter jets & dropping bombs at the end done on the guitar.Hendrix was also very high on drugs at the time.

to be honest i wouldn't mind the declaration or the constitution being translated to other languages. they are 'merely' historic documents, the language doesn't change the content or intent. however, bastardising the national anthem of any country by translating it and then turning it into a pop song...  :bs:.

had it been a translation for better understanding in print, it would have been similar to what is stated above.

These people should watch where they tread!                                                                                                                                                                  It's one thing to attempt to take over a country this size, because you have ruined your own. But to come here and start making demands, desecrating our American flag,and pillaging the national anthem . This to me is an act of war!

I  Thank our forefathers for the 1st amendment!

I going to start again that I'm not being racist or prejudice.I will go as far to be politically correct as to call these Americans : Americans of Mexican decent but not all the time.It's time for them to be American or return to "their" culture in Mexico where their loyalties are.

I've even worked at places where Americans of Mexican decent had higher jobs than me.So I guess a piece of white trash like me should go jump in the Rio Grande & drown myself for having a job lower than an American of Mexican decent.This is not my current situation but it has been during my life.

Any one involved in this recording that isn't an American citizen should be deported as a terrorist & never allowed back in the USA.This probably could be done with the patriot act it can sure be used against American when the government wants to.In that light maybe any Americans involved are guilty of treason.

I wish I was an employer of a lot of people that were going to take off to protest Monday I think so I could hand them their pink slip Tuesday.& I sure wouldn't hire anyone that had been fired for this.

For the illegal aliens not illegal immigrants to me immigrants are the ones that come here legally so illegal immigrant is an oxymoron.They have no right to protest in America because they are not American citizens.They should be deported.The first couple of times with finger prints & DNA taken .The third strike execution.This would be explained to them in their language.

For the USA Constitution & Declaration of Independence being printed in another language as long as this is done in another country to educate I have no problem with that.But not in the USA.

resopalrabotnick;The Declaration of Independence is a historic document with no legal standing but nothing mere about it to an American.The Constitution is the current core of American law or it's supposed to be.So nothing mere about it either.

On a side note it gets me that people crossing the border illegally come across the desert risking their lives .I went to Jaurez one time & rode a Mexico public transit bus back across the border .Me & my friend were the only two non Mexicans on the bus.It went right across the border bridge  with no customs check at all. It was expensive 10 cents back in 1977.The couple of times I went across the border then were the only times I have ever left the USA.& I have no plans to leave again.I might consider visiting Canada at some time.

To end this post if anyone thinks this is OK Then why not have it sang in Spanish by Fidel Castro & really slap America in the face.

These people should watch where they tread!                                                                                                                                                                This to me is an act of war!

WAR!!  . . .or just another Southpark episode!

now, back in the day, . . .if 'monty python' did this ~ would we be sooo upset or just laughing our @sses off!

seriously, every 'empire' has it's day ~ didn't the Visgoths start making fun of the Romans by 'mocking' them, thus causing the downfall of the Roman Empire?

[we just better not be caught laughing our @sses off, . . .at least around here!]

Bottom line is most Americans are afraid to stand up for anything due to fear of being labled a racist or biggot. :( Too bad for that. Our country will slowly degrade... and eventually crumble... all because Americans are afraid to tell anyone that anything they do is BullS#!t and that we wont put up with it.

Bingo!!  This is our country stop trying to take over.

This is particularly appropriate based on rallies by mostly 

>  Hispanic participants. Mexifornia is becoming

>  Mexamerica,  as predicted............!!

>

>  If this concerns you then take the time to read this...........

>

>

>  We know Dick Lamm as the former Governor of Colorado. In

>  that context his thoughts are particularly poignant. 

>  There was an Immigration Overpopulation conference in

>  Washington, DC, filled to capacity by many of American's

>  finest minds and leaders. A brilliant college professor by

>  the name of Victor Hansen Davis talked about his latest

>  book, Mexifornia," explaining how immigration - both legal

>  and illegal - was destroying the entire state of

>  California. He said it would march across the country until

>  it destroyed all vestiges of The American Dream.

>

>  Moments later, former Colorado Governor Richard D. Lamm

>  stood up and gave a stunning speech on how to Destroy

>  America. The audience sat spellbound as he described eight

>  methods for the destruction of the United States. He said,

>  "If you believe that America is too smug, too

>  self-satisfied, too rich, then let's destroy America. It is

>  not that hard to do. No nation in history has survived the

>  ravages of time. Arnold Toynbee observed that all great

>  civilizations rise and fall and that 'An autopsy of history

>  would show that all great nations commit suicide.'"

>

>  "Here is how they do it," Lamm said:

>

>  "First, to destroy America, turn America into a bilingual

>  or multi-lingual and bicultural country. History shows that

>  no nation can survive the tension, conflict, and antagonism

>  of two or more competing languages and cultures. It is a

>  blessing for an individual to be bilingual; however, it is

>  a curse for a society to be bilingual. The historical

>  scholar, Seymour Lipset, put it this way: "The histories of

>  bilingual and bi-cultural societies that do not assimilate

>  are histories of turmoil, tension, and tragedy." Canada,

>  Belgium, Malaysia, and Lebanon all face crises of national

>  existence in which minorities press for autonomy, if not

>  independence. Pakistan and Cyprus have divided. Nigeria

>  suppressed an ethnic rebellion. France faces difficulties

>  with Basques, Bretons, and Corsicans."

>

>  Lamm went on: "Second, to destroy America, invent

>  'multiculturalism' and encourage immigrants to maintain

>  their culture. I would make it an article of belief that

>  all cultures are equal. That there are no cultural

>  differences. I would make it an article of faith that the

>  Black and Hispanic dropout rates are due solely to

>  prejudice and discrimination by the majority. Every other

>  explanation is out of bounds.

>

>  "Third, we could make the United States an 'Hispanic

>  Quebec' without much effort. The key is to celebrate

>  diversity rather than unity. As Benjamin Schwarz said in

>  the Atlantic Monthly recently: "The apparent success of our

>  own multiethnic and multicultural experiment might have

>  been achieved not by tolerance but by hegemony. Without the

>  dominance that once dictated ethnocentricity and what it

>  meant to be an American, we are left with only tolerance

>  and pluralism to hold us together." Lamm said, "I would

>  encourage all immigrants to keep their own language and

>  culture. I would replace the melting pot metaphor with the

>  salad bowl metaphor. It is important to ensure that we have

>  various cultural subgroups living in America enforcing

>  their differences rather than as Americans, emphasizing

>  their similarities."

>

>  "Fourth, I would make our fastest growing demographic group

>  the least educated. I would add a second underclass,

>  unassimilated, undereducated, and antagonistic to our

>  population. I would have this second underclass have a 50%

>  dropout rate from high school."

>

>  "My fifth point for destroying America would be to get big

>  foundations and businesses to give these efforts lots of

>  money. I would invest in ethnic identity, and I would

>  establish the cult of 'Victimology.' I would get all

>  minorities to think that their lack of success was the

>  fault of the majority. I would start a grievance industry

>  blaming all minority failure on the majority population."

>

>  "My sixth plan for America's downfall would include dual

>  citizenship, and promote divided loyalties. I would

>  celebrate diversity over unity. I would stress differences

>  rather than similarities. Diverse people worldwide are

>  mostly engaged in hating each other - that is, when they

>  are not killing each other. A diverse, peaceful, or stable

>  society is against most historical precedent. People

>  undervalue the unity it takes to keep a nation together.

>  Look at the ancient Greeks. The Greeks believed that they

>  belonged to the same race; they possessed a common language

>  and literature; and they worshipped the same gods. All

>  Greece took part in the Olympic games. A common enemy,

>  Persia, threatened their liberty. Yet all these bonds were

>  not strong enough to overcome two factors: local patriotism

>  and geographical conditions that nurtured political

>  divisions. Greece fell. "E. Pluribus Unum" -- From many,

>  one. In that historical reality, if we put the emphasis on

>  the 'pluribus' instead of on the 'Unum,' we will balkanize

>  America as surely as Kosovo."

>

>  "Next to last, I would place all subjects off limits; make

>  it taboo to talk about anything against the cult of

>  'diversity.' I would find a word similar to 'heretic' in

>  the 16th century - that stopped discussion and paralyzed

>  thinking. Words like 'racist' or 'xenophobe' halt

>  discussion and debate. Having made America a

>  bilingual/bicultural country, having established

>  multi-culturism, having the large foundations fund the

>  doctrine of 'Victimology,' I would next make it impossible

>  to enforce our immigration laws. I would develop a mantra:

>  That because immigration has been good for America, it must

>  always be good. I would make every individual immigrant

>  symmetric and ignore the cumulative impact of millions of

>  them."

>

>  In the last minute of his speech, Governor Lamm wiped his

>  brow. Profound silence followed. Finally he said,. "Lastly,

>  I would censor Victor Hanson Davis' book Mexifornia. His

>  book is dangerous. It exposes the plan to destroy America.

>  If you feel America deserves to be destroyed, don't read

>  that book."

>

>  There was no applause. A chilling fear quietly rose like an

>  ominous cloud above every attendee at the conference. Every

>  American in that room knew that everything Lamm enumerated

>  was proceeding methodically, quietly, darkly, yet

>  pervasively across the United States today. Discussion is

>  being suppressed. Over 100 languages are ripping the

>  foundation of our educational system and national

>  cohesiveness. Even barbaric cultures that practice female

>  genital mutilation are growing as we celebrate 'diversity.'

>  American jobs are vanishing into the Third World as

>  corporations create a Third World in America - take note of

>  California and other states - to date, ten million illegal

>  aliens and growing fast. It is reminiscent of George

>  Orwell's book "1984." In that story, three slogans are

>  engraved in the Ministry of Truth building: "War is peace,"

>  "Freedom is slavery," and "Ignorance is strength."

>

>  Governor Lamm walked back to his seat. It dawned on

>  everyone at the conference that our nation and the future

>  of this great democracy is deeply in trouble and worsening

>  fast. If we don't get this immigration monster stopped

>  within three years, it will rage like a California wildfire

>  and destroy everything in its path, especially The American

>  Dream.

>

>  Thought provoking? Send it on!!!

Learn the American English language, I would say English, but we don't actually speak English.

http://www.scit.wlv.ac.uk/~jphb/american.html

airplane * aeroplane

antenna *aerial

apartment *flat

apartment house/building* block of flats

asphalt *Tarmac

automated teller machine (ATM)* cashpoint

ball-point pen *Biro

Band-Aid sticking plaster

bankroll US foot the bill

beater * banger

beer* lager

bill *note

billion* thousand million

boxcar* no equivalent

brown bag lunch *packed lunch

busy signal *engaged tone

cafeteria *canteen

checkers *draughts

closet *fitted wardrobe

cookie* biscuit (sweet)

couch* settee                [couch potato*sette potato]

crackers* biscuits

entr

• 2 months later...

I understand pretty well the americans and their feelings about this issue. I am puerto rican and a strong supporter of Puerto Rico independence movement. As an ardent patriot I wouldn't like our national athemn to be translated and sung in another language. It would be disrepectful. BTW, seeing a lot of posts from you guys, and your obvious anti-inmigration  and xenophobics feelings, even though you all won't admit it. I reafirm every day that about my ideals of independence. I do not want to be where I am not welcome. If I were from any Latin American country: Mexico, Argentina, Chile, Colombia, etc. I would get back to my country of origin and work for its progress. No matter what they do here, they will be always overlooked. There's dignity and pride, and there's humilliation and contempt . Which one do you prefer?

Welcome to the forum dabolikk.  :wave:

I understand pretty well the americans and their feelings about this issue. I am puerto rican and a strong supporter of Puerto Rico independence movement. As an ardent patriot I wouldn't like our national athemn to be translated and sung in another language. It would be disrepectful. BTW, seeing a lot of posts from you guys, and your obvious anti-inmigration  and xenophobics feelings, even though you all won't admit it. I reafirm every day that about my ideals of independence. I do not want to be where I am not welcome. If I were from any Latin American country: Mexico, Argentina, Chile, Colombia, etc. I would get back to my country of origin and work for its progress. No matter what they do here, they will be always overlooked. There's dignity and pride, and there's humilliation and contempt . Which one do you prefer?

First off it is illegal immigration.And there is no fear, we just wish they would join by the rules.

Definitions of Xenophobia

fear or dislike of strangers or the unknown, often used to describe nationalistic political beliefs and movements

www.blifaloo.com/info/phobias.php

So you have read the thread about PR ?

http://www.testmy.net/forum/index.php?topic=13773.0

What is your national language anyway?

Where are you not welcome?

I hope not here!

These people should watch where they tread!                                                                                                                                                                  It's one thing to attempt to take over a country this size, because you have ruined your own. But to come here and start making demands, desecrating our American flag,and pillaging the national anthem . This to me is an act of war!

I  Thank our forefathers for the 1st amendment!

who is trying to take over your country ?...jesus christ man - go have an ice cream and chill