Verizon Ruling May Tax Dial-Up Customers

ROM-DOS

The Boston Globe is reporting that a court ruling in Verizon's favor could effectively allow phone companies to charge dial-up users on a per-minute basis.  From the article: "About 68 percent of US internet users now connect via broadband, according to the latest data from Neilsen//NetRatings. That still leaves millions of users connecting the old way, in which modems in their home call local numbers over a telephone line to access the Internet. Precisely how many people were affected by the court ruling is unknown. Good said the number was in the thousands, but that Global NAPs did not have exact numbers and could not disclose the identities of all the companies that relied on Global NAPs for dial-up numbers.

• 4 weeks later...

europe has always been that way. let me tell you, you get very efficient in your use of online time for research and whatnot if you pay a couple cents a minute.

same thing here, results for a average internet user, its more expensive to use 56k then 100Mbps broadband  :haha:

VanBuren :)

i don't think it's greed. the problem is that the us phone companies have had the offers for unlimited local calling for a long time. then when modem use rose the calculations made went out the window since the phone companies still have costs even by local calls in their network. and normal phone use is a lot less than a longtime internet connection. while i agree that it sucks especially for those people that do not have a chance to get broadband and mainly because they are used to 'free' dialup service it is kind of surprising to me that this hasn't happened 15 years ago, when all the bbs's and stuff were really big.