Laptop runs REALLY hot

Guest PeePs

Guest PeePs

So yea, my laptop likes to randomly shut off even though i make sure to leave the fan on the bottom unblocked. So today I finally go and get a Temperature monitor because I was almost positive my laptop was just overheating making it shut off and it says my CPU temperature is at around 68 degrees Celsius. When I'm just surfing the internet the temperature will spike up into the 70+ degree area. Is this normal for laptops, or is mine just hella ***?

EDIT: Oh yeah, and its a compaq, with a Intel Centrino incase your wondering.

Same thing with my laptop, really bothers me.  Fans are quite loud.  It's a Toshiba Satellite with a 3.2Ghz P4HT.  So it's probably fine hot.  But I always have to put down the speed to 1.8Ghz, otherwise on full 3.2Ghz, it just gets hot and runs even slower.  I already have to get a new fan, of the two fans on it.

But check if there's a program taking a lot of processor usage and kill it if there is one.

Same thing with my laptop, really bothers me.  Fans are quite loud.  It's a Toshiba Satellite with a 3.2GHz P4HT.  So it's probably fine hot.  But I always have to put down the speed to 1.8GHz, otherwise on full 3.2GHz, it just gets hot and runs even slower.  I already have to get a new fan, of the two fans on it.

But check if there's a program taking a lot of processor usage and kill it if there is one.

my ex's parents just bought one of thoes... deffinatly wasnt a 3.2 ghz , but yea.. that thing was incrediably loud..

sounds like speed step might not be installed correctly... did you reinstall the OS?  Compress air should get rid of the dust build up by the fans..

The problem is that the cpu is cooled passively, using a heat sink and heat pipes, to bring the heat to the fans to deal with... At least that is how dell does it.. If there is something wrong with the heat pipes then that could be your problem.. You might want to call tech support if the product is still under warranty.

Guest PeePs

Alright, I'll try the compressed air if i ever get around to buying some. My laptop is still under warranty so I'll talk to the tech support and see if it's normal for my laptop to run that high.