External Harddrive

hid

hey

I am thinking of buying an external harddrive cos my current one is nearly full.

i want to know - do i have to partition the ex. hardrive and make it recognisable to me pc or do i just have to just connect it by usb port and my computer will automatically recognise it.

also would i be able to store all my important files onto the external hardrive and then RESTART my computer to the orignal state, when i first purchsed it. - so that my computer is in its 'orignal' state and then i plan to transfer the files(Kept on ex. hardrive) back to me orignal internal computer hardrive. basically i want to know if the external hardrive data and information will be deleted if i reboot my pc.

after reinstalling the computer - would i be able to put the files i trasfered onto the ex. hardive back into the computer internal hardive. Will the computer still recognise the ex. hardrive as it did before the reinstalling of the computer. Because if you partition the computer internal hardrive then everything gets deleted, will this be the same situation with ex. hardive.

Can you use an external hardrive between two computers over a network or actually take the ex. hardrive to the other computer. I mean like if I save lots of information on the ex. hardrive and then take it to the other computer to use it on that one, will I have to make it compatible with the other computer and if I do will everything be deleted.

there is one thing that you are going to want to be careful of.. if you dont have USB 2.0 you are going to want to get an add-on card.. trying to transfer files over 1.1 is just painful.. if you are interested in turning your external hd into a networkable drive check this product out.. http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1119460471050&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

I have seen it for about $80..

thanks for link but i don't think i will use it for network purposes.

so if i partition it and put my files in it, will i be still able to carry it around and use it on another pc with the files stored in and no need to partion again to make compatiable to the other pc.