Phishing: Can anyone do anything about these fake sites?

dn0

I started a new email account a couple weeks ago.

Right away I get a phishing message.

It is supposedly from Chase bank (I do not bank there).

So I followed the link to their fake site, it looks damn good, actually.

It is registered in amsterdamn.

Here is the address: http://88.39.141.17/chase/chaseonline.chase.com/online/home/index.php

And roll back to the IP, http://88.39.141.17/, you get the index of their Apache server.

I wonder if anyone can pull any info from their?

Here is the email:

From:    JPMorgan Chase <[email protected]>    Add to Addresses    Block Sender

Date: Wednesday, April 19, 2006 7:08 AM

To:

Subject: Please update your profile

Size: 3 KB

Dear JPMorgan Chase & Co. Bank Member,

Chase Bank is devoted to keeping a safe environment for its community of consumers and producers. To guarantee the safety of your account, Chase Bank deploys some of the most advanced security measures in the world and our anti-fraud units regularly screen the Chase Bank database for suspicious activity.

We recently have discovered that multiple computers have attempted to log into your JPMorgan Chase Online Banking account, and multiple password failures were presented before the logons. We now require you to re-validate your account information to us. If this is not completed by April 22, 2006, we will be forced to suspend your account indefinitely, as it may have been used for fraudulent purposes. We thank you for your cooperation in this manner. In order to confirm your Online Bank records, we may require some specific information from you.

What you need to do:

- Click here to log in with your User ID and Password.

- Enter the requested information and your online services will be reactivated.

If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choice but to temporary suspend your account. Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that this is a security measure meant to help protect you and your account.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you for using JPMorgan Chase & Co. Bank

if you want to bother simply send the e-mail in question to the bank in question, let them deal with it or not, as they see fit. if you feel frisky forward it to the newsrooms of the local paper/tv station as well.

usually the urls in those mails die off pretty fast if they are hosted in civilized countries because the law shuts them down or the people move on to other hunting grounds, leaving no traces behind.

if you want to bother simply send the e-mail in question to the bank in question, let them deal with it or not, as they see fit. if you feel frisky forward it to the newsrooms of the local paper/tv station as well.

usually the urls in those mails die off pretty fast if they are hosted in civilized countries because the law shuts them down or the people move on to other hunting grounds, leaving no traces behind.

Thanks, I did FW to Chase Bank, although I know they already know.

I was surprised the site is still up, and how good it looks.

I could definitely see a naive user giving up their info without question.