Safe mode?

deven

In the past year I've loaded and deleted so much I can't get safe mode to work. I've done all the cleaning, spyware highjackthis, etc but I can't get running in safe mode to really clean my comp. Any help appreciated. And yes it doesn't matter which safe mode, can't get to any.

You may need to remove cmos battery and let bios reset to defaults. If you remove cmos battery make sure the system is unplugged with no power available.

If you can get into Safe Mode, the first thing to do is to check Device Manager (Control Panel / System / Device Manager) for any hardware devices.

http://www.windowsgalore.com/windows.95/safemode.htm

Hope that helps. Tommie

In the past year I've loaded and deleted so much I can't get safe mode to work. I've done all the cleaning, spyware highjackthis, etc but I can't get running in safe mode to really clean my comp. Any help appreciated. And yes it doesn't matter which safe mode, can't get to any.

I have done that once or twice. Taught me to back up my computer useing ghost. I did a fresh install of xp. Put on all the "must have programs" i wanted. Used ghost and backed it up. As I found programs I wanted to keep. I would download the program to desktop. Zip it up and back it up to disk. To this day I keep a running back up of my programs. Save them all to cd. Not trying to rub salt in the wound. Just trying to help from haveing this issue again.

Thats what I'm afeared of. Last time it took me days to restore everything. I was hoping to avoid. Also time before when I formatted I lost harddrive. Oh well.

The thing to do is partition your hard drive! that way you can have a os partition that get rewritten but all of you important stuff can be moved onto the other partitons of the drive.  I dont know why companies dont ship computer with a partitioned drive.. it just makes sence!!  I am currently in the process of writing a guide to build a custom install disk that you can make so that all of your programs are restored after you run the install of Windows...(look for it late May)

With all due respect to swimmer I just don't agree with the partition Idea. While it does sound like a great idea and such I can just see it creating alot of issues. The 2nd partion is a just another handy spot for nastys to hide. I can see some average users haveing some problems with it. In stead of takeing care of just one operating system you now are takeing care of 2 at the same time. Keep both updated. Keeping both running right. Rebooting to get to the other partion. Its my humble oppinion you should back up your harddrive to a dvd. Make a simple restore disk. Now I think a guide to make a easy to use restore disk would rock. Just put the disk in the drive and it restores your computer to a previous state. Useing some programs to do that can be tough for the average user. Xp restore that is already there is just unreliable and can not be trusted. My last thing is yea a 2nd partition is nice. What happens if you loose that harddrive. Harddrives do fail. No offence swimmer. I mean all this with due respect. I just humbly disagree. For whatever its worth.

massey: I think you misunderstood Swimmer.  He said use one partition for Windows and programs, and the other for important files, documents, pictures, etc.  Quite a good idea, and that's about what I do now.  (Except I have 2 drives instead of 2 partitions)

So php, is there a program that sets it up where you can just format and then pop in your dvd, or cd?

Maybe... I've never looked but I know it is possible.  It just might take some work.

Well I've been trying different approches but looks like too many big red XX's in all the wrong places. Seems a shared file in registry and .net and zonealarm was deleted, maybe one of those latenight early morning episodes. The last time I backed up all files I can't read them after formatting. Still have old cd's but have never cracked them. Well this time I need to know how to do it right. Anyone. thx in advance.

Deven, how are you attempting to access safe mode?  Maybe we can help you find another way.  Then you'll be able to run some scans, or clean your registry from there, if a format is something that you'd rather not do.

FallowEarth I hit f8 before windows load. No matter which safe mode I choose comp freezes. According to windows event codes I've googled I need to uninstall .net framework and reenstall manually. Also IE6 needs rework. I've tried with xppro cd to do repaires but no luck. I've been using opera with great success till last week, now it to is so slow loading pages. Same with firefox.My speed test will run 1800 and page will take 10 to 15 sec to load.I know I'm going to have to format but last time I did a major backup of my harddrive programs I can't access the cds., says it can't find what program to open with. I can't to this day access them. I used nero to burn the backups but can't get nero to open them. Maybe did some encrip. and did't know it. I' m program illiterate.

All I can say is OOPS!! Sorry swimmer misunderstood that one. In the famous words of Rosanne Rosanna Danna.....Never Mind

dont worry about it.. i wrote the responce after a physics final.. my brain was feeling it..

Hey guys, no mention of auto system recovery,built into Win Xp ?

works well for me, and I go with swimmer on the partitioned hard drive,

or to cut the hassle a second drive maybe,and add a short cut to the right click send to comand, 

FallowEarth I hit f8 before windows load. No matter which safe mode I choose comp freezes. According to windows event codes I've googled I need to uninstall .net framework and reenstall manually. Also IE6 needs rework. I've tried with xppro cd to do repaires but no luck. I've been using opera with great success till last week, now it to is so slow loading pages. Same with firefox.My speed test will run 1800 and page will take 10 to 15 sec to load.I know I'm going to have to format but last time I did a major backup of my harddrive programs I can't access the cds., says it can't find what program to open with. I can't to this day access them. I used nero to burn the backups but can't get nero to open them. Maybe did some encrip. and did't know it. I' m program illiterate.

There is a way to configure the boot.ini file to specify that it does a safeboot each time....trouble with that is if your computer is unable to get into safe mode that way, you're probably euchred.

Have you tried a system restore?  How bout a defrag?  Have you tried the recovery console from the XP cd?  Just a few things you might have a go at before a format....

Hey guys, no mention of auto system recovery,built into Win Xp ?

works well for me, and I go with swimmer on the partitioned hard drive,

or to cut the hassle a second drive maybe,and add a short cut to the right click send to comand, 

Yeah Roco, that is what I do, no cd's. Just hit the button and walk away for awhile, then come back and hit a couple more buttons, and walk away again.

But it may be a home built.

I don't waste space with restore. I can only go back 2 weeks. My safe mode quit in oct. I didn't get dway till Jan. I joined this site when referred by a friend to fix my sat to work better. Started networking Feb. Tough ride. Have bad habit leaving comp on. Come home to find 1st critical error March. Didn't seem to cause any problems so ignored it.I've tried all mic problem solve for IE6 to no avail. Like preveously stated Opera was smoking fast so I ignored everything else. Now that snake has bit me so I triing to figure my best route to make backups that I can use with success. Well I've bored you'all enough, thx.

It apears from what I understand you want to save the instalation you have if at all possible. I have no idea what you have and have not tried. Did you try to put the xp disk in and go for a reapir install? It simply reinstalls xp and leaves all the other stuff alone. That should repair all the issues. I have myself Tried to save programs already installed on the harddrive and as of yet had no luck. You as well could have a serious nasty virus or trojan on the hardrive that is creating havoc with programs and files already on the disk. Its my humble oppinon that you need to erase the hardrive and start from square one. While that may not be what you really want to do, it apears to me your are fighting a loosing battle. I hope that helps..