Help to connect to school server please

pheoxs

So today i was able to access our studentserver and graphics server from my laptop via wifi, however now im wondering, how would i go about connecting from lets say, home, because it would be so nice to be able to connect, grab lets say social essay, work on it, and save it back. Im not sure how i would go about it, i know the proxy address and port, i know the ip address (although on a sticky note in my locker i forgot)

Any help would be appreciated

Most likely it won't be possible without setting up additional software on the server and reconfiguring the network.  When you were connecting via wifi you were on the school's internal network.  There might be a way to do this via a VPN tunnel or such but I think it would be much more hassle than it's worth.  (especially since most of the equipment isn't yours)

Yea i kinda figured that but though maybe theres away since our server has a website and stuff...

dont you have campus connect? where you can get online and connect to your campus websight? do you have internet at home?

The only way, it sounds like, for your to get that stuff from that machine is if you exploit the machine.. I dont think the proxy is going to help at all for what you are trying to do..

Like php said.. VPN is the most logical way to have this set up.. you might be supprised if you were to ask the IT head if they allow students to VPN in to the network...

Make sure that this post stays on topic and legal!

Make sure that this post stays on topic and legal!

Haha it will. See its our highschool so i dont have a campus connect thing, i do have my name and student id number i need to log into my sr_docs. how would the VPN work tho would i need a computer within the school to access it?

Haha it will. See its our highschool so i dont have a campus connect thing, i do have my name and student id number i need to log into my sr_docs. how would the VPN work tho would i need a computer within the school to access it?

since its a highschool its quite a bit different, your most likely not going to be able to do it, because the schools firewall will not allow you in, when your outsitde the network.

As long as the docs are on a network drive you can get on to them.. VPN makes your computer a part of their network..  So you can set it up, the vpn, to allow users access to their shared drive.  I can VPN in and get on to my share drive if i need to.. But then again I am in college.. so everything is just that much easier..

if you want to access the servers from home without a VPN

the only way is to give them a public ip address that anyone outside ur school can access

this defeats some of the purposes of the proxy server and it also makes the information/server vunerable to any internet attack

eASY WAY THAT I DID FIND AND OLD COMPUTER NOBODY USES AND SET AN FTP ON IT THE UNPLUG THE MONITER MOUSE KEYBORD AND ALL THAT CRAP PUT A SING THAT IT DONT WORK AND HOPEFFULLY NO1 WILL MESS WITH IT THATS HOW I ACCES MY SCHOOL STUFF FROM HOME

BUT IF YOUR LIKE ME AND ONLY GOT 2 MORE WEEKS LEFT FORGET ABOUT IT TUIL NEXT YEAR

• 3 weeks later...

First of all, Your school would have to have a V.P.N established on their network. Most schools do. Your problem would most likely be; convincing your school admin. to grant you (legal) access to their network from home. Most Vpn's are given to Employees/Teachers, for accessing files at school from other schools via VPN. Rarely even they give teachers access from their homes.....

Oh, Im sure my school doesnt have VPN set up we are a very small school and the teachers would not need to access school files at home.  Is there a way to set up vpn on my computer to acees that network even if those computers arent set up for vpn.  Alternatively, is there any other way to acces my school server so i could login from home.

Thanx

the best way to get them to do something you want that is in the realm of the feasible is to turn in into a project. talk to the teacher/teachers that teach computer science and/or the people that administer the schools systems and see if you can't convince them that setting up something like that would be a valuable learning experience. there are plenty of ways to do it, plenty of security issues, it would probably involve the students doing a lot of research and writing reports about it, brainstorming sessions, planning and finally a proper setup.

That could work

Or u could do it might way and forget about the admin

plus u get acces to all the students stuff

sop u can copy off the smart kid

i also at first had it

i had a satallite install to the top of the school and set up to a wirelless router

some of my friends reported gtting the signal on their psp 5 miles away

and laptops likle 10

then one day some1 looked at the school from far away and way like

WTF!! is that

when was that install

And it was taken down i thought i was in serious shit 4 that but nothing happen

This topic is now getting towards illegal areas...

Basically, the only way to do this is with a VPN setup.

VPN is a server/client protocol.  You have to have a VPN server set up at the school, and a client at the remote site.  You have to have admin access to do this, and know what you're doing.

Setting up anything that is unauthorized is bound to get you in trouble, and is probably not worth it.

Bottom line; talk to your admin; see if they want to set something up/give you access.  I highly doubt they will.