AOL: 3 Million Lost in 1 Year

dlewis23

AOL continues to bleed dial-up subscribers, losing three million in the last year, and more than 800,000 in the last three months, according to Time Warner's earning reports. AOL recently raised the price of their dial-up service to $26 in an effort to drive those customers toward the co-branded incumbent offerings. The company today announced that they've struck a deal with Clearwire, offering $25.90 co-branded Wimax broadband service in Jacksonville and Daytona Beach, Florida, and Stockton and Modesto, California.

The earnings report tells the tale of painful transition from ISP to portal. While advertising revenue is up 27% to $392 million, some 77% of the company's business relies on subscription fees. Revenue from those fees dropped 13% to $1.54 billion. As a portal, AOL still lags behind giants Microsoft, Google, and Yahoo.

Source: http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/74130

Anybody that would use a free c.d. for an internet service, is just too gullable anyway. I could probably sell them the Brooklyn Bridge for the ten millionth time.

Geez, when will people learn. I have never used it. I believe the terminology goes like this, AOhe*L. Easy to install, and hard to remove.  :mrgreen:

I wish to refute your aspersions cast at AOL. Despite having signed on with another ISP (Xplornet.ca) which has provided me with high speed access to the internet, I have maintained my account with AOL. For two years AOL has provided me with safe access to the internet, free from virus and ad-ware due to their antvirus software. My last isp (sympatico by bell telephone in Canada) had many problems including a probable dialer worm which ended billing me for almost $1000  billed to my phone (also Bell Canada) for calls that they claim my computer made to a small island in the Pacific.

AOL now provides my computers with continued protection which they include with their service. I have nothing but praise for this company.

Bill

I wish to refute your aspersions cast at AOL. Despite having signed on with another ISP (Xplornet.ca) which has provided me with high speed access to the internet, I have maintained my account with AOL. For two years AOL has provided me with safe access to the internet, free from virus and ad-ware due to their antvirus software. My last isp (sympatico by bell telephone in Canada) had many problems including a probable dialer worm which ended billing me for almost $1000  billed to my phone (also Bell Canada) for calls that they claim my computer made to a small island in the Pacific.

AOL now provides my computers with continued protection which they include with their service. I have nothing but praise for this company.

Bill

I am truly glad you have good luck with AOL, you are the first I have heard that has had good luck though. How much do you pay for them as a second internet source?

AOL continues to bleed dial-up subscribers, losing three million in the last year, and more than 800,000 in the last three months, according to Time Warner's earning reports. AOL recently raised the price of their dial-up service to $26 in an effort to drive those customers toward the co-branded incumbent offerings. The company today announced that they've struck a deal with Clearwire, offering $25.90 co-branded Wimax broadband service in Jacksonville and Daytona Beach, Florida, and Stockton and Modesto, California.

The earnings report tells the tale of painful transition from ISP to portal. While advertising revenue is up 27% to $392 million, some 77% of the company's business relies on subscription fees. Revenue from those fees dropped 13% to $1.54 billion. As a portal, AOL still lags behind giants Microsoft, Google, and Yahoo.

Source: http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/74130

AOL customers are mostly moving to other ISP's within the Time Warner corp., ie. Road Runner, Earthlink.  I believe that one day AOL will eventually (hopefully!!!) be phased out completely.  Although AOL provides internet access to the average Joe workin peeps, I think that it's software has caused more headache within the company than it has been worth.  Plus, it is harder to convert an AOL user to a non-AOL user, than it is to start them off with the Microsoft browser and email client in the first place.  In a future where the Internet is such a dominant means of ....well, pretty much everything....using AOL software, although easy to pick up and navigate,  is in the long run detrimental to your learning the ropes you'll need to get by, much less get ahead.

Bill

Why not just go with http://www.xplornet.com/?lang=EN and bypass AOHell?

TheHalf