What is the world coming to?

tstillery ;As a mature adult it burns me too.When I was 20 & times were different she would have been a "cool" mom.

I agree with tommie gorman  not to always tell all the things you did growing up.I would take it a step further & lie if I thought that was the best.I have done things I wouldn't even tell children even when they became adults.Not out of fear but not to teach the wrong lesson.When they saw I got away with it & survived. & i have seen children use what a parent told them about their youth against the parent.with the "you did it" excuse.

I'm not a parent by choice but I have observed a great deal.I have had friends that raised their children without discipline who have visited their children in prison & ones that raised their children with a firm hand have adults they can be proud of .

Positive reinforcement can be much more effective than negative, though it really depends on the child, parent, and the relationship between the two that has been developing since birth.  I personally don't see marijuana as evil, or particularly bad.  That's not to say that the story isn't an example of bad parenting. The child is far too young for his mother to condone, or especially influence, and/or introduce the smoking of marijuana (or any other substance). The truth is, his age is the only truly "disturbing" part of the story.  You have to realize that there are many normal, and/or successfull people that have made a habbit of smoking marijuana.  Ofcourse there is the cliche group of "losers" and criminals that do as well.  Marijuana is a mild drug, much like alcohol it can be used responsibly, or irresponsibly.  It is illegal, which serves as a deterrance, but it seems all too many people get the idea locked into their head that marijuana is damn near pure evil because of this.

Another little story.

When I was about 21, my fiance and I were leaving town to visit her parents. When we got about 100 miles down the road, we realized that we could not find our baggy. Wonder to wonder we just went on down the road.

When I got home, my mother took me aside and asked me how I could stand to smoke that stuff. I asked her what she meant. She said that she had smoked 3 of those left handed cigarettes and pretty soon she had to lay down. The next thing she knew she could not get off of the bed and was getting companionship urges. I asked her how many. And she repeated 3. I went on to let her know that it had been laced. And never to touch anything with out consulting me first, please. So yeah, we were cool with each other after I got a little bit older. And she informed me that she never wanted anything to do with that type of stuff again.

By the way my mother was single at the time. Just me and her living there at the time.

By the way, I am a very bad liar, People usually see right through me.

Another little story.

When I was about 21, my fiance and I were leaving town to visit her parents. When we got about 100 miles down the road, we realized that we could not find our baggy. Wonder to wonder we just went on down the road.

When I got home, my mother took me aside and asked me how I could stand to smoke that stuff. I asked her what she meant. She said that she had smoked 3 of those left handed cigarettes and pretty soon she had to lay down. The next thing she knew she could not get off of the bed and was getting companionship urges. I asked her how many. And she repeated 3. I went on to let her know that it had been laced. And never to touch anything with out consulting me first, please. So yeah, we were cool with each other after I got a little bit older. And she informed me that she never wanted anything to do with that type of stuff again.

By the way my mother was single at the time. Just me and her living there at the time.

By the way, I am a very bad liar, People usually see right through me.

Um, k