Computer Quote :: Am I being ripped off?

I dont understand too much about computer hardware, and I need a new computer, so I called a computer guy that my friend uses, he quoted me this:

case:$43

motherboard: $130

prosseser AMD 3000 64 BIT: $195

memory 1gb: $184

disk sata 80gb: $82

burner dvd: $65

ati radeon 128mb FREE!

--------------------

total: $702

this price is also with trade in, as i'm giving him my old computer:

P3 933Mhz

20-30GB hd

256 RAM

So the prices are after I give him my computer.

Am i being ripped off for any specific parts?

Thanks

- Tomer

Tomer you are getting ripped off.

processor is $112 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103606

1GB of ram is $82 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820141307

Case is probally $43

I don't know what mobo he is using so i wount say anything on that

Hard Drive is $40 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144102

DVD Burner is $30-$40 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827101010

should be at least $200 less

depends on what boards etc. specifically. and the ati radeon 128...i wonder if that's onboard graphics. also what kind of dvd burner is it?

but dude, seriously, look at the quote, then go to the retailers and compare a system from them. for 700 you can get a decent box, you get xp and usually a works with ms-word and other software bundled /and/ you get to keep your old comp.

shop gateway, dell, tigerdirect, newegg for prebuilt systems with os etc. one of em is bound to have a sale with good rebates going on that mean you beat the price, get a better system and have the software.

the old box looks good as a storage server or office machine. maybe stick the burner in it so you don't burn with your main system.

Thanks guys, only problem that I'm currently living in Israel, so I dont have all those options as you guys in the US.

The guy that gave me a quote lives near by, and I prefer having a person in charge of my support instead of a company as if I have a problem he can just pop in by. What's my best chooise? Just tell him that the prices he gave me are too much and ask him to reduce them?

I really prefer not to but the parts seperate. I want 1 person in charge of all my stuff, I just want to be chargeed reasonable prices. :(

Thanks

@ rammolo - not included.

Guys, I have 2 chooses, 1 is to go with this deal or something close, the 2nd, switch computers with my sister as she doesnt mind a P3.

She has a

P4 1.6Ghz

40GB hd

256 RAM

Basically all I need is to play Counter Stike, and be able to use photoshop and internet browsing fast. So I thought to upgrade the P4 to 1GB RAM, would that be good?

- Tomer

If you pay him to build you that computer, don't trade in your old one, there's no point.  I can't imagine any good coming from it, the parts in it are damn near worthless now,  it's not going to benefit him (and it shouldn't affect the price). Keep it as a backup, or atleast use the harddrive.

As for the deal itself, 700$ is a little high, but the computer you are getting isn't too bad. He is ofcourse making a profit, but as you mentioned the convenience is what's important to you. No Windows license is a no no, but it's not like Microsoft is going to come get you, it does show poor (and illegal) business practice however (assuming this guy is doing this on a professional level).

even in israel you should be able to buy online from dell and/or gateway. check their prices. as for someone stopping by in case something goes wrong, that's exactly what their service techs do.

edit: and you can always check major retail stores in your area.

as for having the guy next door do your service, do it yourself. hang out on this site, ask if you have a problem, and learn some new skills. dealing with a balky comp is not as difficult as some people try to make you believe. (especially at the time they are telling you how much it is going to cost you.)

I decided just to buy 1GB ddr RAM myself and put it in.

The computer has 3 RAM slots, it currently has 1 x 256MB 32x8 DDR266

I want 1GB, so I need to buy 1GB as I can't use the current one as if I do, the old one is DDR266 and new one will be probably DDR400, and I was told they don't mix well. Correct?

So should I buy 1x1024MB, or 2x516MB?

Thanks!

- Tomer

I decided just to buy 1GB ddr RAM myself and put it in.

The computer has 3 RAM slots, it currently has 1 x 256MB 32x8 DDR266

I want 1GB, so I need to buy 1GB as I can't use the current one as if I do, the old one is DDR266 and new one will be probably DDR400, and I was told they don't mix well. Correct?

So should I buy 1x1024MB, or 2x516MB?

Thanks!

- Tomer

i would do 1, 1GB stick, but some times 2 512mb sticks can be cheaper.

Is DDR2 much better than DDR?

- Tomer

yes, but if your MB doesn't support DDR2 you can't use it... it's not the same as DDR

lol... that was late... stupid DWay dying on me...

If your motherboard does support it, what are the benefits vs. a motherboard with ddr ram? I think a lot of dell pcs use ddr2, is it cheaper?

Here we go...

AMD is still on DDR, Intel went to DDR2 a while ago. AM2 will ship with DDR2 support.

In contrary to popular belief ("it has a 2, it must be better") DDR2 doesn't beat DDR that much. The expected boost from going v2 is about 1 - 5%, as long as DDR2-800 or faster is used. The older version, DDR2-667 is not as fast as normal DDR-400, when comparing timings and speed. It shows that AMD doesn't need the extra bandwidth, at least not until quad cores are around.