Question about Dway Professional

Tbrown

Thanx for the reply guys!  I called today to upgrade..but I guess they aren't open on the weekends :?  But the reason I'm wantin to upgrade is because I'm wanting to share another computer off the sattelite.  I read on the dways' site that they recommend using the 6000, but can it be done with the 4000?

Thanx alot reverend!  Which kind of ethernet cable should I use...direct patch cable or a cross over cable?  And also,  what kind of "hub" should I get..would anyone work?  Sorry for so many questions...but I just wanna make sure I purchase the right stuff.  Thanx again,

Travis

Thanx alot reverend! Which kind of ethernet cable should I use...direct patch cable or a cross over cable? And also, what kind of "hub" should I get..would anyone work? Sorry for so many questions...but I just wanna make sure I purchase the right stuff. Thanx again,

Travis

No problem Travis - you sparked off a very unexpected and welcome chain of events in my behalf with your simple question that enticed me to write that article about building a LAN (using DirecWay as an ISP).

Thanks for checking for me, The only reason i asked that is because i was having a hard time using ICS with dw6000 because the modem is assigning a priviate IP to my pc not allowing windows to bind the shared connection to that local IP.. and to the best of my knowlage you cannot change the ip that windows uses for ics... I guess DirecWay's use of that pirivate ip is good for people who want to plug in and go.. but using a router is such a bad idea for the DW systems because your modem already has NAT..  so right now im using a 150 dollar  wireless router as a wireless switch : (

Thanks for checking for me, The only reason i asked that is because i was having a hard time using ICS with dw6000 because the modem is assigning a priviate IP to my pc not allowing windows to bind the shared connection to that local IP.. and to the best of my knowlage you cannot change the ip that windows uses for ics... I guess DirecWay's use of that pirivate ip is good for people who want to plug in and go.. but using a router is such a bad idea for the DW systems because your modem already has NAT.. so right now im using a 150 dollar wireless router as a wireless switch : (

Well wait a sec here... You can't use ICS with a DW6000 because the whole idea is to let the DW6000 take the load off your Host, and allow it to act as a Client.

Im not having problems using my internet, but i just wanted a simpler way to use it.. whats the point of using a router if dw6000 is already doing it.. it just complicates it more..  So thats why im using my router w/ nat/dhcp disabled because dway does it for me, so all my pcs are 192.168.0.XXX since it assigns the ip's. I just wanted to know if you could Disable it.. i would rather use ICS because i like the connection right into my pc so i dont have to worry about opening ports and stuff..

Say, if you have any trouble's getting her to run right after you get ICS removed from your Host ...just give us a jingle!  (Don't forget that when you reinstall LCCU that you'll need to go into your browser (IE6 that is), and turn back on both proxies by placing in check in both boxes, then click on the ADVANCED tab and make sure it says 192.168.0.1 on Port 87!  (Otherwise your DW6000 will behave a bit strangely)!  Also, in that same area, when you click on the Advanced Tab there is an Exceptions box at the bottom.  Enter this info into that box (cut and paste) to get max attack with your browser:  DirecWaysupport.com;192.168.0.*;192.168.2.1 <------that second # is the IP for my Router, so you'll most likely have a different # assigned to it than that.  (This just makes it possible to get into your router via the browser ...otherwise you don't need the second Router # at all.

BTW: thanks for the commands to put in IE, seems to run a bit smoother now.. never had LCCU installed..

There ya go!  Your Cisco will treat you far better, plus your Internet speed should come up to about 1000Fbps with ICS out of the way.  I can understand why you like the direct signal into your PC ...but hey, it's better to use that Cisco hardware firewall and stay out of the line of fire! lol...

You are very welcome and I graciously thank you for the 'kudos'.  :)

Cheers!

The easiest way is to use a wireless router.  I have a Netgear router and it does all the DHCP duties.  I have 5 clients hooked up on the 192.168.1 subnet.  The "1" subnet is routed into the 0 subnet.  If your used to configging hubs/routers etc., should take all of 3 minutes to set up.  I don't like using ICS because once you get a few clients running, they all go through the host machine which is fine if "said" machine is a server.  99.9% though is not.  That means your host pc has to deal with ICS clients.

Dave...

Ok...I've got everything up and running fine now....I bought a new computer yesterday and I've got it as the "client".  So apparently the problem must've been with the other computer that I had as the client!!  Ohh..and it helps when you've got the Rev given ya step by step instructions on how to set it up and configure both computers  ;)