Fios speeds a bit slow?

hupp3l

Hi there I have had Verizon Fios for about 6 months now and I really love it. I have the 15/2 connection and with my upload I get well over 2mb/s but on my download I only get about 1.3MB/s. I would like to know what steps I can take to get it up to 1.5MB/s.

When I use your site the speeds are even lower.

I would really appreciate the help. I am using a wireless G network but my computer is less than 4 yards from the router. I dont have any firewall turned on while doing the tests.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 11929 Kbps about 11.93 Mbps (tested with 5983 kB)

Download Speed is:: 1456 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net  (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2006/05/12 - 12:00am

Bottom Line:: 208X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 0.7 sec

Tested from a 5983 kB file and took 4.109 seconds to complete

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.3) Gecko/20060426 Firefox/1.5.0.3

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 128.09 % faster than the average for host (verizon.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-J165M9SUB

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 1079 Kbps about 1.08 Mbps (tested with 1496 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 132 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net  (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2006/05/12 - 12:01am

Bottom Line:: 19X faster than 56K 1MB Upload in 7.76 sec

Tested from a 1496 kB file and took 11.35488 seconds to complete

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.3) Gecko/20060426 Firefox/1.5.0.3

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 61.29 % faster than the average for host (verizon.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-DIUZL286Y

Welcome to the forum hupp3l  :wave:

Make sure you clean out your cache first. Go to the top of the browser*Tools*Internet Options*Delete Files*Including Offline Content*OK*OK*Test. And with this link, you will be testing after clicking, so clean out cache before clicking.

Try the 12k test.

Are you virus and spyware free?

Have you cleaned out your registry?

Have you defragged your hard drive?

I am virus and spyware free.

I cleaned cache. my max speed that I get on testmy is 11.9mb/s

what should I clean in my registry? you mean like a registry cleaner? and why do I want to defrag my hdd?

Thanks for the fast reply tommie

There are a lot of registry cleaners out there, but I reccomend ccleaner (crap cleaner) www.ccleaner.com . Along with cleaning the registry, it also has a tool that deletes unnecessary files and it seems like you can use it. As for defragmenting, it basically puts your hard drive in order. It should make it run a lot faster. After that, you can try optimizing your connection, but start with cleaning up your system. ( you might want to upgrade your RAM if you want everything to be faster :D)

i defragged and I cleaned I still get no more than 12mb/s and I should be getting 15mb/s I know I am being spoilt but I would like to download at that speed.

Please help me optimize it thx. I have 1GB of ram which should be more than enough

Why shouldnt I trust it? My friends all test their fios and they are on wireless and they still get 15mb/s

When I hardwired it I got a max of 14mb/s clearly im not optimized.

And why would I lose 2mb/s just because I am on a wireless. the wireless max speed is 54 mb/s so I really dont think it is the wireless especially if the router is about 10 m away from me.

hupp3l the reason I asked if you were on a router, was to see if the problem might be your particular router. Did not say that a router would necesarily be the problem. But as you can see the router was part of the problem.

And yes, you might consider tweaking it also.  ;)

tommie thanx man yeah I think the problem does lie with the router. I am using the Dlink router they supplied me with but I also have a Linksys wrt54g that I could put up. which one would you say is better? and how do I tweak it?