CD/DVD disk covers

hid

hey

what do i need to put covers onto cd/dvd disks (NOT CD/DVD box) - what software/glue/machine etc will allow me to put covers onto the disks.

i know where 2 get covers just wanna know how to place them onto disk.

yeah you would need a lightscribe enabled burner... for lightscribe it is a disk with a burnable surface on each side.. one for the data and one for the artwork.

For the sicker method you can use just about anything you want.. I use nero's cover designer and Memorex lables..

If you are looking for a professional result then Lightscribe is the way to go.. However, it doesnt allow for a color lable :( 

yeah you would need a lightscribe enabled burner... for lightscribe it is a disk with a burnable surface on each side.. one for the data and one for the artwork.

For the sicker method you can use just about anything you want.. I use nero's cover designer and Memorex lables..

If you are looking for a professional result then Lightscribe is the way to go.. However, it doesnt allow for a color lable :( 

i have a lightscribe drive, and i have to say that it is just amazing, yes it sucks that you can't do color, and the media is more expensive, but its worth it.

for normal labeling just use a felt tip pen. if you want to give someone a b-day disc or something you should go and buy a cd labeler. it is a holder that will center the self-adhesive labels on the disc so they don't screw up the drive. (remember the high rpm's a fast cd-rom will reach. if there is even a slight imbalance due to the label or an edge of the label raised so it can catch the air and peel off you can have some interesting things happen, up to the label coming half unstuck and screwing up the laser assembly.

for best results get a printable cd (one with a top side that can be run through a printer and the appropriate printer (i think epson has ones that do it) that can run a special cd tray through the printer to put artwork on em. what are you looking for labels for?

There are various software programs to print on sheets of CD / DVD labels.  Labels from Fellows, Neato, Burlington.  Plenty, plenty stuff out there.  Can be very creative with lables.  Right now I'm looking at some Burlington labels called "Silver Spectrum CD Labels - have holographic patterns.  Avery labels are nice also.  Hope this info helps.

Good luck with your project.

either uncentered or even worse an edge not glued down, catching the air. i haven't seen one destroy a laser but i did have to disassemble a drive where the label had flown off and stuck in the drive. to make matters worse it tore the reflective layer off the disc as it did so, spreading that across the drive aand ruining the disc of course. that's why i use a nonpermanent marker and nothing else. (permanent markers will tend to dissolve the plastic of the disc due to their alcohol based solvents.

as for imbalance, the normal specs for a cd allow for enough off centeredness of the hole that even a commercially produced disk can wobble fiercely in a high speed drive.