SBC DSL Elite package 6.0/608 ... NOT

jason559

The elite is advertised as:

IP Address: 1 Dynamic

Downstream Speed: 3.0 to 6.0 Mbps

Upstream Speed: 384 to 608 Kbps

I upgraded from the pro package that was 1.5-3.0, which I got 2.5 normally in tests...

My elite service is now active and several tests show:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 3037 Kbps about 3.04 Mbps (tested with 20972 kB)

Download Speed is:: 371 kB/s

Tested From:: http://s2.testmy.net

Test Time:: 2006/05/18 - 3:16am

Bottom Line:: 53X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 2.76 sec

Tested from a 20972 kB file and took 56.562 seconds to complete

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 59.51 % faster than the average for host (pacbell.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-J8DXZHR3C

I've loaded the XP DSL PPPoE 3000 384.ccs file into CableNut.  I also contacted SBC tech support, which told me if I get 3Mbps, then that is what was advertised.  Considering I was getting 2.5 with the 1.5-3.0, I assumed I would get at least double, making it 5Mbps, not just 500kbps higher...

Any thoughts/suggestions?  I'm unsure what to do from here... It's only been upgraded for a day...

Wow,... was extremely suprized with my initial down speed. 

Your connection is: 30067 Kbps or 30.07 Mbps

You Downloaded at: 3670 kB/s

You are running: 524 times faster than 56K and can Download 1 megabyte in 0.28 second(s)

Member Ident: Username:1quick1 CompID:624533630257

Test Time:: 2006/05/18 - 1:12pm

Test Browser and OS info: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; Maxthon; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

Test ID: ISQVRC1GU (if this is a screenshot go to testmy.net to see if this is fake)

Diagnosis ^info^: Awesome! 20% + : 584.27 % faster than the average for host (cox.net) This was tested from a 12160 kB file and took 3.313 seconds to complete

:cool:

Wow,... was extremely suprized with my initial down speed. 

Your connection is: 30067 Kbps or 30.07 Mbps

You Downloaded at: 3670 kB/s

You are running: 524 times faster than 56K and can Download 1 megabyte in 0.28 second(s)

Member Ident: Username:1quick1 CompID:624533630257

Test Time:: 2006/05/18 - 1:12pm

Test Browser and OS info: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; Maxthon; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

Test ID: ISQVRC1GU (if this is a screenshot go to testmy.net to see if this is fake)

Diagnosis ^info^: Awesome! 20% + : 584.27 % faster than the average for host (cox.net) This was tested from a 12160 kB file and took 3.313 seconds to complete

:cool:

those are cached  :-|

Thanks coknuck, for the file.  I loaded it and restarted.

Unfortunately, it hasn't made any difference...  I contacted SBC again and was told, and I quote

"The problem is with the DSL line going from our central office to your place.  We are now escalating your issue to our line department and our line technicians will take care of this issue for you."

Not sure how a problem could have happened by moving from one package to another.  I don't know my distance from the CO, dslreports says I'm way too far to get dsl, which of course is a mistake, I've had the pro package for over a year with no problems...

Then, I called the 611 service to check my voice line, they said it has a "Line Balance Problem"... have no idea what that means...  They just said if it's inside it will cost me $55 for them coming out.... gosh...

Any thoughts?

Thanks coknuck, for the file.  I loaded it and restarted.

Unfortunately, it hasn't made any difference...  I contacted SBC again and was told, and I quote

"The problem is with the DSL line going from our central office to your place.  We are now escalating your issue to our line department and our line technicians will take care of this issue for you."

Not sure how a problem could have happened by moving from one package to another.  I don't know my distance from the CO, dslreports says I'm way too far to get dsl, which of course is a mistake, I've had the pro package for over a year with no problems...

Then, I called the 611 service to check my voice line, they said it has a "Line Balance Problem"... have no idea what that means...  They just said if it's inside it will cost me $55 for them coming out.... gosh...

Any thoughts?

when you go to a higher speed, it creates lots of noise in the line and that will kill speed. and that is probally what is happening here. so they are the only ones that can fix it.

They didn't sound like they could fix it.  Can anyone give me examples on how it could be fixed?  I'm hoping to corner the tech when he comes out on Thursday. :)  I really want the faster speed. 

They told me on the phone they think I'm too far out, but would the distance limitation change with the speed?

• 4 weeks later...

I just got the SBC DSL Elite package a week ago...and at first my speed didn't change a whole lot. Now, things seem so to be picking up.

Then again, I didn't test my speed as often as I do now. (Thanks to this forum!) But if you check my sig. that's what I am getting as of now on 6/14/06.

I don't think distance would kill your speed. At work, we happen to be in a rural area far from many people/houses and everything checks out. Have the linemen check your line. Sometimes it is worth the $55 to make sure your wiring is okay inside.

They have been out a total of 4 times now.  Two sets of DSL people and two sets of telco (phone) people.  They were out today (Wednesday) and said they think I am too far out.  When the DSL guy was out last week, he said the problem as a line "disturbance" and that the telco guys would need to fix it...  I don't know what to think anymore...

Everyone's just trying to tell me to not worry about it and just downgrade packages...

Everyone's just trying to tell me to not worry about it and just downgrade packages...

downgrading the package may be the answer, with dsl there is the distance problem you may be right on the border line of having the 6mb eather working or not working.

Mines working just fine

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 5380 Kbps about 5.38 Mbps (tested with 5983 kB)

Download Speed is:: 657 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2006/06/20 - 4:20am

Bottom Line:: 94X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 1.56 sec

Tested from a 5983 kB file and took 9.11 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 141.91 % faster than the average for host (ameritech.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-EML8IWHT3

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050225 Firefox/1.0.1 (ax) [!]

• 2 weeks later...