Vista Requirements officially announced

dlewis23

Windows Vista's recommended settings according to Microsoft, then according to Ars

5/18/2006 11:34:47 AM, by Ken Fisher

Click this Mojo Ad

Microsoft today will unveil a new website aimed at informing consumers about Windows Vista's hardware requirements, among other things. As we reported earlier, there are two levels of recommendations for Windows Vista, those dubbed "Vista-Capable" and those dubbed "Premium-Ready." Microsoft has now revealed the specs in each category, and here they are:

Minimum Requirements (Vista-Capable PCs):

* 800 MHz Intel-compatible processor

* 512MB of RAM

* DirectX 9.0-Capable Graphics Processor

* 20GB HD

Recommended Requirements (Premium-Ready PCs):

* 1 GHz Intel-compatible processor

* 1GB RAM

* DirectX 9.0-Capable Graphics Processor, with 128MB graphics memory. (64MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor less than 1,310,720 pixels [no more than 1440x900]; 128MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor at resolutions from 1,310,720 to 2,304,000 pixels [no more than 1920x1200]; 256MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor at resolutions higher than 2,304,000 pixels [more than 1920x1200]).

* 40GB HD with at least 15GB "free space"

What's the difference between the two recommendations? Machines that are only "Vista Capable" can indeed run Vista, but as we reported earlier, those machines will not be able to run the new Aero user interface.

For the PC enthusiast, the specifications

My other can run Microsoft Vista Beta 5381.1 Preview to Beta 2      runs it smooth as a nut...

My other computers spec is...

AMD Athlon 64 3000+

1GB DDR RAM

Nvidia FX5600

500GB HDD

The hard drive obviously doesnt matter...... but i can run vista smooth as nut including the new aero GUI  even with that rusty old graphics card.....

See Ya 

Guys

My other can run Microsoft Vista Beta 5381.1 Preview to Beta 2      runs it smooth as a nut...

My other computers spec is...

AMD Athlon 64 3000+

1GB DDR RAM

Nvidia FX5600

500GB HDD

The hard drive obviously doesnt matter...... but i can run vista smooth as nut including the new aero GUI  even with that rusty old graphics card.....

See Ya 

Guys

What kind of nut?

i've run xp home on a 1GHz PIII with 256 megs of ram. once i convinced the owner to replace the 4 meg graphics card with something just a little bit more current (just to let the os unload some things to the card) it ran real nice. no gaming or anything like that but enough for a decent office rig.

Let me see if I am doing this right.

I click on ( Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor Beta ) and when the page loads I get this:

( Download

The Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor beta is currently unavailable, please check back soon. We apologize for the inconvenience. )

Did I do something wrong?

Let me see if I am doing this right.

I click on ( Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor Beta ) and when the page loads I get this:

( Download

The Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor beta is currently unavailable, please check back soon. We apologize for the inconvenience. )

Did I do something wrong?

your not doing anything wrong, its not working right now.

I'm just suprised that DX10 isn't required!

"At one point, DX10 was believed to be a requirement for the Aero interface; both the Advisor, as well as Microsoft's statement this afternoon, confirm that DX10 will not be a requirement for Aero."

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/05/18/microsoft_tweaks_vista_compliance_language/

by defining the minimum gpu as a dx 9 ready one they have pretty much laid down the law that it has to have some basic juice. i'm guessing that with a card that is just 9.0 capable it won't be anywhere near fluid. to really get all the eye candy something fairly fast will probably be needed.