Keeping IP with router reset?

Is there anyway I can keep the same IP when I restart my router (but not restart the SBC dsl modem)?  I have a netgear router that occassionally needs a restart, and when it does I loose my IP.  If it stays on, it never changes....

Is there something I can change on the 5100 to prevent it from getting me a new IP?

The router is setup with pppoe on computer.

Look at This

http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

it worked for my friend did not work 4 me

y i don't know??

Btw u might want to install the sbc support thing i case u really mess up the settings and cant surf, they will set everything back to an ok stage

y do u need the same ip?

hosting a server or something?

if you are look into no-ip.com

doubt it.. when you use pppoe you are basically establishing a connection like 56k.. your ip will never change until you disconnect.. The only way that I can think of is to see if you ISP offers static IPs, which cost $$, for the dsl service that you are on.  Otherwise try not to reset your router..

in fact since they charge for static ip service they will avoid giving you the same ip when you reconnect. also you will probably see a disconnect once every 24h or so just to get your ip changed. if you require a way to keep track of your ip to log on remotely there are several services out there that offer a dns service for dynamic ips.

Thanks for all the replies.  Thankfully they've never changed my IP on their own, I've had an IP for weeks at a time, but if I have to restart my router because it crashes, it does always give me a new one.  Good to know a final answer though.

The biggest thing would be if your service provider has a system set up to remember your IP address by MAC address. If it does, then you aren't likely to lose your IP from a router restart.

For a long term solution, you can have your service provider give you a static IP but it can be expensive (anywhere from 5 bucks or up to a business plan). It depends on how your provider does thir billing. Can't hurt to ask.

Are you running a home server? Is that why you want to know?

No, my outgoing email server authenticates by IP, so everytime it changes it needs to be told my new IP address I've been assigned or it won't relay the emails.

that's a dumb setup...