More RAM, more speed

bamatide

Just doubled my ram from 256 to 512 and am getting 3200 to 3600 kbps ever since on a 3000/256 connection. Would addl memory be the reason? If so, I'm going to 1g of memory tomorrow.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 3425 Kbps about 3.4 Mbps (tested with 1496 KB)

Download Speed is:: 418 KB/s

Tested From:: http://www.testmy.net/

Bottom Line:: 61 times faster than 56K you can download 1MB in 2.45 second(s)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/cgi-bin/get.cgi?Test_ID=BAFCDXPKL

P.S. Just received my charter bill and they upped it an addl 10.00 with no addl services. Maybe they'll get around to giving us something for the 25% increase in the Fairview Hgts Illinois area. Can't say they didn't warn us. Aren't monopolies on HSpd cable great?

hey bamatide :)

If you had a very high usage of memory when you was on 256 MB and the computer had to use virutal memory from your hard drive, i can understand that it speeded up abit for you

reading and writing memory to a hardrive is so much slower then from a RAM stick.

a good tip is to defrag your hardrive once in a while, cos you will always have some memory as viritual

VanBuren :)

124 ram? Wow  :whaa:.

Increasing ram will make programs load faster, and your computer will have a place to store them in. Think of it like a shelf. When you open windows, and you have 124 ram, then you will not have as much space left on the shelf. Windows has to constantly clear up the shelf (unload windows) and put in other programs which you wish to open. If you have little ram, windows will cause alot of errors (from my experiance) and you might end up reinstalling it because of a serious error. So if you have 512 ram, the information from the site (testmy.net) will load faster, because not only will you not be unloading as youre loading, but your computers processor speed will increase, because once again, its not unloading anything. Going for 1gig wouldnt make sense unless you have programs that require alot of ram. 512 is the recommended for windows XP, and frankly, i wouldnt be able to work with any less.