pay-as-you-go computing?

ROM-DOS

OK, can someone better explain this one to me?

[sometimes my brain just doesn't want to comprihend things way outside the box]

"The pay-as-you-go computing model enabled by Microsoft's FlexGo technology allows customers to have a fully featured PC at home by paying only for the time as they use it through the purchase of prepaid activation cards or tokens."

"AMD intends to develop processors designed specifically to support Microsoft FlexGo technology."

"Along with the new pay-as-you-go model, Microsoft has also been working with major telecommunication companies around the globe on subscription computing offerings that provide convenient and predictable monthly payments for a full-featured PC with broadband access and genuine software. With the availability of Microsoft FlexGo technology, it will be possible to expand the potential of the subscription model by enabling telecommunications providers to better secure the PC asset from default and offer this option to a broader range of customers."

"Telecommunications partners around the world have worked with Microsoft for more than a year conducting successful commercial offerings under this business model."

. . .is this the same tactic used by the "lease-to-own" car dealers ~ for people who can't really afford them?

or some Rent-a-Center M$ scam?   :shrug:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/flexgo/default.mspx

yeh like prepaid phone cards...

i don't like it...would never use it myself...

probably would be by the hour...like a quarter an hour or something...could end up very expensive quickly, as a user got more and more into the internet, would sound really cheap in the beginning tho...i can see people that are new to computers using this type of technology...and then upgrading to "unlimited" service once they're "hooked"

yeh like prepaid phone cards...

i don't like it...would never use it myself...

probably would be by the hour...like a quarter an hour or something...could end up very expensive quickly, as a user got more and more into the internet, would sound really cheap in the beginning tho...i can see people that are new to computers using this type of technology...and then upgrading to "unlimited" service once they're "hooked"

Yeah, just another way to rip off poor folks. Offer a little for a little, and then you have them. $$$$$

Like renting furniture, cars, and such. I am suprised they do not rent food and gasoline yet.

But just wait, that will be next!

If I remember right, I always rented the beer at a pub or tavern. I would drink it, and later give it back at the urinal.  :laughing7:

By the way, it was not that long ago that we paid by the minutes on internet. And everybody wanted full time, as that was all that was actually affordable anyway.   ;)

Well up to so many minutes on your account, anyway. And who did not go over their minutes?

yep like i said they come in the mail...it's been a long time since i paid for my mail... :haha::P  i'm so glad when another one comes...i use them for coasters and the new ones are so shiney and new...then i can throw out an old scratched up one...

free coasters

If I remember right, I always rented the beer at a pub or tavern. I would drink it, and later give it back at the urinal.  :laughing7:

By the way, it was not that long ago that we paid by the minutes on internet. And everybody wanted full time, as that was all that was actually affordable anyway.   ;)

Well up to so many minutes on your account, anyway. And who did not go over their minutes?

not that long ago indeed 18 months for me, Finlay got Broadband 256/128 lol , I did the math on costs ,= 7 hours per week online on  Dial up 56k  for the same price as unlimited

DSL, my Dsl; costs $6.12 per week , less than a gallon of UK fuel, yeah the speed is S**t

but my phone  line is limited to a max of 1Mb anyway,  I am getting a down of 246Kb from teasemy net, so I am happy with that,

Regards  Roco  UK