Finally AMD's AM2

Swimmer

If the early benchmarks of Intel's "Conroe" are anywhere near accurate,they will blow AMD right out of the water.The 2.66ghz conroe was 15%-30% faster then an overclocked, FX [email protected]!! So maybe for the first time in a few years AMD will lose their performence crown.

I have a Pentium 4 and have taken it for granted that I will be upgrading to a 4800+ Amd.Well now it looks like a 2.8 conroe with either Ati R580+ or N'vidia's equal top end card.I have no brand loyalty.I will buy whatever is the best I can afford.Still as long as I get a nice fast new rig,for about

Socket AM2 chipsets collide

Introducing the ATI SB600 and NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI

"AMD'S LATEST ATHLON 64 processors use a new socket and DDR2 memory, essentially requiring a motherboard upgrade. It just wouldn't do to plug a cutting-edge processor into a motherboard with an older chipset, though. Perhaps that's why ATI and NVIDIA are rolling out new core logic to accompany AMD's Socket AM2. In the green corner, NVIDIA is launching a top-to-bottom line of nForce 500 series chipsets, including the high-end nForce 590 SLI. ATI, on the other hand, is finally taking the wraps off its long-awaited SB600 south bridge. That chip is paired with the established CrossFire Xpress 3200 north bridge for high-end multi-GPU platforms."

"In many ways, the latest core logic offerings from ATI and NVIDIA are evolutionary designs that address problems with previous chipsets. ATI claims its SB600 resolves the I/O performance problems that plagued the SB450, and NVIDIA promises the nForce 500 series' Gigabit Ethernet acceleration sheds the hardware bug that afflicted the nForce4's ActiveArmor. New features are also on the menu. The SB600 is ATI's first stab at Serial ATA with 300 MB/s and Native Command Queuing, and the nForce 500 series is virtually bursting at the seams with fancy feature names, including FirstPacket, LinkBoost, and DualNet."

Yeah.. one of the articles points out that AMD most likely still has something up their seleves to combat conroe but it isnt going to be release til later this year.. my guess would be october... that seems to be when AMD likes to do things if i remember correctly.

But..

Probably the most attractive reason to buy an AM2 system is AMD's strategy to stay with a certain socket for some time to enable simple processor upgrades and allow users to "drop in" a newer generation CPU down the road.

quoted from  http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/05/23/amd_intros_am2_processors/ you will be able to drop in a 65nm AMD chip when they are released. Whether or not DDR3 will be supported is a different story. Chances are, DDR3 will use the same pin configuration as DDR2 (Current speculation), and with the integrated memory controller of AMD, a new processor (their 65nm versions) will be needed to support DDR3. In other words, if you buy an AM2 motherboard now, you will probably not need to upgrade it for a long time.

well - who knows what amd is doing or thinking - i have a feeling that intel conroe is going to be great - but for sure we won't know untill people start buying it

maybe amd is planning to launch some new technology so they are trying to buy some time with this new platform - i guess we can just wait and see

Yeah.. one of the articles points out that AMD most likely still has something up their seleves to combat conroe but it isnt going to be release til later this year.. my guess would be october... that seems to be when AMD likes to do things if i remember correctly.

maybe amd is planning to launch some new technology so they are trying to buy some time with this new platform - i guess we can just wait and see

You have my attention here, I believe AMD is simply pushing the market, Buying time. And we'll see in October !