Whats the difference between these two?

jakop92

I was looking on newegg at motherboards just for interest and ended up in motherboards section.

In the slot wheere it says agp slots i noticed it  had 8x and 8x pro agp.

Whats the difference? Say, does it relate to cards?

Ex. would you need a mb with 8x pro just to run a video card thats pro (9800 pro, 9600 pro etc....)?

Here are the specs from ATI (All In Wonder) in answer to your question.  Perhaps my last answer was incorrect?  (I am unsure of your question ....and I am assuming that you either already have the required motherboard and want to get a new card,or you have a card but don't know if you dare plug it into your motherboard!  lol...  Anyway ...here are the specs:

System Requirements

Intel

i remember a card by i think 3dlabs that had an external power supply that you jacked into the card above or below the vga connector. this was due to the mainboard not being able to handle the load to the agp slot. hence the development of the agp pro. some of the older cards were similar in that you had to connect a power cable intended for a drive into them to boost their power.

:) Hmmmm I have never heard of or seen that either, I sure would like to see some specs on that to see why or how they would do that ...... I have seen the insides of a lot of computers old and new and I'm sure that it would have been something I wouldn't forget. If you can point me in a direction to see something about this I would be grateful, thats what makes this so interesting 2me.  :)

8) Microwave

I think that is one of the reasons that our units are all using 550w Power Supplies that also have built-in power conditioners,etc.  The video cards, dual monitor, geesh EVERYTHING demands so much power that we found it best to get the largest we could find ...complete with the cool-blue LEDs in the back and four-fan configuration.  It drove the power bill up a bit, but there's no more lagging due to lack of available power!

Also, (IMHO), it is well worth replacing your power supply every two years or less if your machine is "always on" such as this one.  Even though these things are designed to remain on all the time, the power supplies can only take so much ...even the newer models with the 'neat' electronics!

THANK YOU for bringing pics of these little monsters to us ...I looked all over creation and had zero luck!

Cheers!

it saddens me to say that i couldnt find one of the one with the real external power. it was back in the late 90's anyhow. the power supply was one of the kind 230 power cord in, then a box about 3by4by5 12v to the card. when i first saw it in the mag, i lmbfhao.

:) I wonder if it was some transnational card, I have seen some weird things come from the lab to the field but when it went to production it got normal-ed up.... :)

8) Microwave