Mustang GT vs. Pontiac firebird

amc11890

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May be be getting a car in a few months:  Which car do you think is better and why?  More powerful?  Smoother Ride?...etc

*Prefferably yr  2000-2003 models*

with out question the mustang. all in all a far superior car. the mustang has a much better motor, much smoother ride, better suspension etc. the interior is designed to accommodate a wider range of people. and if something breaks there is a real good chance that you will be able to get the part faster and cheaper because there is so many of them around. and hell the car looks a hell of alot better then the firebird.

something japanese - i like subaru wrx - it has decent power and is a very durable - and fun to drive ;)

with about 1500-2000 dollars in performance upgrades, you can transform it into a subaru wrx sti eater ;)

ka pow !

the price for a 2003 with low milres (about 25k) is anywhere from 15-18k dollars, depending on what you find ;)

I am on a budget but i want something with speed and power and somewhat good on gas,  I know i cant have it all.  Besides i wont be getting a car till Jan but for know i really would like some power under the hood.

if you want power under the hood for a cheap price with no upgrades then you can't go for a jap car, gotta go for american power, and the mustang will do that for a great price. and you don't have to do shit to go fast.

and if you really want some cheap power look at a old 5.0

if you want power under the hood for a cheap price with no upgrades then you can't go for a jap car, gotta go for american power, and the mustang will do that for a great price. and you don't have to do S#!t to go fast.

and if you really want some cheap power look at a old 5.0

I havent seen a 5.0 in a while

How about ebay?

2002  Ford : Mustang  Roush 360R

Cumming, Georgia

intercooled supercharger on top of a 4.6L single overhead cam V8.

0-60 in 4.3 seconds and a 12.3 second quarter mile at 109mph STOCK!

Miles:  38000  

Current bid: US $17,300.00  

Some good buys do come in there.

Just a thought.

hell just go and splurge . =]

I saw on the road on the way home from work,  a 05' mustang GT roush edition.. I thought id just follow him for a while, to admire the car. HE thought i was trying to race him in my g'mas mitsubishi galant V6 and he just took off quicker thean lightning. after 135 mph i just couldnt keep up.. he started pulling away slightly

man that car was so ...so.. hot.

05_MustangGT_Pic01.jpg

amc11890 ;The new Mustang 2006 has too plain a hood for me .Still being a Ford man I would see if I could get an after market hood or scoop to fix that.Unless Ford has a special order one for the Mustang.

I'm going to address this because of your age.You better check the insurance cost.It can be a lot lower for a non GT model or any performance type.Get the regular model even with the same engine it is less. You can always add the decals & other parts these won't change the insurance.

amc11890 ;The new Mustang 2006 has too plain a hood for me .Still being a Ford man I would see if I could get an after market hood or scoop to fix that.Unless Ford has a special order one for the Mustang.

I'm going to address this because of your age.You better check the insurance cost.It can be a lot lower for a non GT model or any performance type.Get the regular model even with the same engine it is less. You can always add the decals & other parts these won't change the insurance.

Yeah i was thinking about that,  i heard the color of the car also matters.  I still am trying to keep away from the regular mustangs with the v6's because a v6 just doesnt seem like it will have enough power.  I will prob end up buying the older model mustangs because i am on a budget and my dad will only pay so much.  I basically want a car with good acceleration and one that doesnt look like my grandma's hand-me-down.

http://carmax.com/dyn/factsheet/factsheet.aspx :  that would prob be something i would want.

slightly off topic. the other day i again spotted the vw new beetle with what i was now able to id as the 90 hp turbodiesel. the awesome thing about it is that with the diesel sound it sounds damned close to the original beetle!  :haha:

as for power on a budget, look into picking up an older ford or dodge turbodiesel pickup. chiptune the thing or even add some mechanical upgrades and you will be able to hold your own against most other cars. go nuts and stick on a nitrous kit and hold on to your balls, otherwise they will ride up the crack of your ass when you punch it.

diesel + nitrous =  :twisted:

hell just go and splurge . =]

I saw on the road on the way home from work,  a 05' mustang GT roush edition.. I thought id just follow him for a while, to admire the car. HE thought i was trying to race him in my g'mas mitsubishi galant V6 and he just took off quicker thean lightning. after 135 mph i just couldnt keep up.. he started pulling away slightly

man that car was so ...so.. hot.

05_MustangGT_Pic01.jpg

what a bigger coincidence everycar i thought about getting has been brought up in this thread :) cept the camaro

and the galant is the car i started looking to get, hard to find someone selling in my area so i broadend the search and looked for

I'm getting me a camaro soon :)

mustang and firebird were in the runnings as well :) so i had to reply since it was a coincidence

Yeah, ford has not done much to the plain mustangs yet. I hope they do though. They are a little plain. They need a new Mach 1 design. With all the goodies on the body. Much closer to the 1969 Mach 1 body style decorations. Shaker scoop, front valance, rear spoiler, side scoops, rear window slats, and some decent stripes. That would be so cool.

On another note,with Camaro out of the way, they should pump up the looks dept.

By the way cholla, I changed the pic.

I have always liked the Trans Am myself, but that is not an option anymore. Now I would take a Ford Lightning or a Dodge SRT-10 Ram anyday over any sports car. I had a brand new Trans Am when I graduated high school and the insurance wasnt bad. It was actually less than when I had my jeep.

May be be getting a car in a few months:  Which car do you think is better and why?  More powerful?  Smoother Ride?...etc

*Prefferably yr  2000-2003 models*

If you must chose Chevy or Ford --- PICK CHEVY!

I've owned a mustang... and I've owned an F-Body (Camaro.. same shit)...

The Mustang was an '89 5.0 GT -  Fast, fun, sounded AWESOME with H-pipe, awesome doughnuts and burnouts.  But ALL... even newer Mustangs (except the newest body style... not old enough to know yet) have valve train problems at around 60,000 miles.  My '89 needed a top end rebuild at 80K and I currently know two people that have newer mustangs with around 60K that need valve train work.  One of them is a V-6 and one is a V-8 so it's not like the problem is bias to one motor or the other.

The F-Body I owned was an '89 Camaro IROC-Z 5.7 TPI -- if you don't already know, camaros, firebirds and trans-ams are the same car with just a little style differnence.  When compared to the mustang I owned (and I friggen LOOOOVED my Mustang.. dispite the problems I had in the end) it was NO CONTEST.  Mainly because the camaro has a 350 (5.7) vs the mustangs 302 (5.0).  But I'm sure that even if I had the 305 (5.0) that most camaros in that generation had it would still whoop up on the stang... it was simply better built.  Think of it this way, how many Mustangs do you see on the road?  ALLOT!  How many Camaros, not nearly as many.  Mustangs have always sold better and it's not because they are a better car... it's because they're built inferior and therfore cost less.  The Camaro I had put many Corvettes to shame and I can't say that about the Mustang I had.  Although I did have to rebuild the entire engine on my Camaro it was my own fault... I spun two main bearings, the funny thing is that if you would have pit my old 5.0 Mustang when it was brand new vs. my Camaro when it had two main bearings spun.... the Camaro still would have won.  --- also, put it this way, I had a friend who worked at a Ford dealership do the rebuild.. at the Ford dealership, every machanic that worked there was a chevy fan after seeing the power the engine had with the bearings spun.... they said "Unheard of in the Ford world... if that was a Ford it would be in a junk yard."

So if you want a car that will fall apart and leave you on the side of the road... pick the ford.  If you want something built correctly, do what the smart people did at the time those cars came out, spend the extra money and get a Chevy.  And this is coming from someone that owned about 10 Fords before getting the IROC ... I can't beleive I used to like Ford.

Oh, but if you really want a good car... fuck both of those cars.  And get the last car I owned.  Mitsubishi Lancer EVO VIII -- it puts brand new Corvettes to shame --- it puts them all to shame.  But it also gets you in allot of trouble........ that's why I got rid of mine :-P