Banned form this forum

RonK

I seldom visit testmy.net but the past 2 days, including earlier today,  I got this:

Sorry Guest, you are banned from using this forum!

advertising - banned once before

The computer ID is not the same as mine when I get this message.  I have NEVER advertised on any site.

I was just able to get on this forum (not sure why) so I wanted to find out why I am being banned to see if it can be prevented in the future. 

I ran NAV and got no threats.

Thanks. 

That would be because another member with the same IP address as you advertised all over this forum. Generally this would mean that you just made a new user name and that the ban was not that severe because it is allowing your ip back. Just hang out, read the rules and follow them and you will have no problems.

That's the problem with dynamic IPs, innocent people may get the banmessage, when someone else caused the damage. Best option is to reset your modem, that usually results in a new IP.

Edit: outposted by shug... sigh. :angry3:

Well, I also get banned even as a member most of the time I try to login.  I am on satellite and I guess I will just have to live with the inconvenience.

Is there a way I can contact the sysops of this forum to get this resolved?

Thanks.

You were getting the error because you are on either a shared or public IP.  There was a large amount of users that were on the IP range your on (9 users all connecting within two IP's), all of which don't appear related to each other in any way.. So I'm going to assume this is a public computer or a proxy of some sort.

There was a member by the nick 'mwripke' who was banned for abuse of the site on or about the 15th of May and this is why you were effected.  I have left the ban on one IP he used not related to your range and the ban on his username is still in effect... but I have removed the ban that was effecting you and the other users. 

Thank you for bringing this to my/our attention and sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.  Also, thank you for your continued support of testmy.net.

- Damon

Swimmer and CA3LE:

Thanks! The ban appears to be lifted.

I am using a personal computer through WildBlue satellite and do use their recommended proxy.  Many WB users do their speed tests @ testmy and frequently post those on a WB dedicated forum.

Damon:  Thanks for the PM and the resolution of this issue.