computer's temperature is so high

insideout

so heat pipes are actually good? Then is it my heat pipe that isn't working? Oh and about installing a heat sink or a fan...does that require a lot of pc knowledge? i'm not good at computers (obviously). oh and do you need to install both of them or just one of them?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i haven't the faintes idea how sony sets up the case. it might be you have a heatsink leading to the heatpipe leading to the back of the case to another heatsink that is cooled by a slow running fan. at this point i would be sending an email to the support at sony or calling them to find out just how fast that fan should be spinning to decide wether or not to replace it.

Well, that was random.

dlewis23:Heatpipes are quite efficient, the best heatsinks for air use them and they get heat output similiar to cheap/medium watercooling.

yes they are very efficient, but they are very inefficient when there is no cool air moving accorst them to extract the heat out of the pipe. Sony has very little if any air moving accrost the heat pipe.

I called up SONY and I told them that my computer's temperature. The guy booted up his own computer and said that his temperatures were around the same range so he said that it was normal. I also told him the speed of my fan (i looked in the bios and it said it was like 840 RPM). he said this was normal as well so i can't get it replaced.

so take a look at the case and see if there is a larger diameter fan blowing over a heatsink that is fed by heatpipes from the cpu. that would explain the lower rpm. you can always replace that fan with a more powerful one to cool it down more and/or install additional fans into the case to improve overall ventilation, if you have spots to mount them that is.

I called up SONY and I told them that my computer's temperature. The guy booted up his own computer and said that his temperatures were around the same range so he said that it was normal. I also told him the speed of my fan (i looked in the bios and it said it was like 840 RPM). he said this was normal as well so i can't get it replaced.

840RPM is not normal. thats almost no air movement. we have one of these or one that is very close to yours at my office and i will take a look at it and see what the temp and fan speed is when i go there tommarow.

Seems like the speed is automatically regulated, and I could get this 120mm to do 840 rpm and have decent temps (45c or so), but if that ain't a 120 mm fan then it's virtually no airflow indeed.

Guest PeePs
where do u go to tell all that stuff like the temps and the rpm's?

or you can download software that will tell you. Just google it and there will be plenty that turn up.

As for your cooling problems. Sounds to me like your best option would be to just get more case fans or upgrade that slow *** one they already have in it. Gotta have airflow going through your case to keep things cool. Also, just so you know if you do end up adding a new heatsink/fan onto your cpu then it will more than likely terminate your warrenty.

I used Everest free edition to find out.

About adding fans/heatsinks, I asked the guy and he said that it won't void the warranty if you add in parts (like a harddrive or fan)  but you can't tamper with the cooling system itself.

About adding fans/heatsinks, I asked the guy and he said that it won't void the warranty if you add in parts (like a harddrive or fan)  but you can't tamper with the cooling system itself.

that sounds really stupid, they say there system is upgrade able, but if you add anything it voids the warranty.

840RPM is not normal. thats almost no air movement. we have one of these or one that is very close to yours at my office and i will take a look at it and see what the temp and fan speed is when i go there tommarow.

so did you manage to see what temp and fan speed the computer your office has? just curious to see what you found.

• 1 month later...

hey guys I know i haven't responded to this thread in a while but I'm still having cooling problems. I decided to open it up and see how much space I had. I took some pics hoping that someone could tell me what kind of fan I should get and how big or small it should be. Thanks.

hey guys I know i haven't responded to this thread in a while but I'm still having cooling problems. I decided to open it up and see how much space I had. I took some pics hoping that someone could tell me what kind of fan I should get and how big or small it should be. Thanks.

the problem is were would you put the fan, there is like no pratical place to put a fan in there, unless you cut a hole at the top and had it pushing the hot air out.

the problem is were would you put the fan, there is like no pratical place to put a fan in there, unless you cut a hole at the top and had it pushing the hot air out.

oh i see. I was thinking that myself about why there wasn't a lot of space. So do I have any other options?

looks like a BTX case... The entire design behind this case was to eliminate overheating of the prescott p4s... lol that is if this is a btx.. which to me it look like from the pictures.. 

The tech support guy would be correct.. you would void your warrenty if you mess with the cooling system.. as it is now part of "system"..

I sounds like from what I have read it has a passive cooling system, on the processor, to begin with.. Heat pipes. :roll: 

You could do a few things..  I would look for a fan to replace the system fans that are pushing air through that tunnel..  something that move more cfp..

http://www.frozencpu.com/fan-22.html

that should do the trick if you need a 120mm fan..

i think BTX is designed to blow in to the tunnel and then out the back.. if I remember the air moves into the front notch in the case.. past the heatpipes.. then out the back.  so no hot air is introduced into the case from the power supply..

Might want to make sure that there is plenty of circulation in the back where that case sits.