Get a new IP

brock01

i have earthlink from brighthouse just a normal account

and i have had the same ip address for over 1 year how can i get a new one

i have had the cable modem unplugged for over 12+ hours and i sitll didnt get a new one

any advice on how to get a new one with calling or anything

yes i have a router

wrt54g :)

classic

brb dinner

where can i change that at if its even changeable

It can easily be done with the WRT54g, but I am not exactly sure how, I have a D-Link myself.

Will look into it -- maybe another member can jump in with the directions??

If you have a router, you can try changing it's MAC address.

You only need to change one of the hexadecimal characters, shouldn't matter which.

It should be one of the last few... but I suppose it doesn't make a huge difference

It should be one of the last few... but I suppose it doesn't make a huge difference

Yeah, your right,  I should have said that.

I usually just change the very last character, not that I need a new IP ever, though.

Screenshot below shows where to change it (in that version anyways):

Well, if Brighthouse doesn't bind their IP address to your specific MAC address, then you will be fine, it will be the same as buying a new router and plugging it in as the new router will have a new MAC.

The chances of accidentally cloning your MAC to another active device on their system is pretty slim.

Did you have to give your ISP the routers MAC address when you signed up? (I'm actually not sure how that works as Cox does not work that way)

umm

they bring out the cable modems to us

i bought our Router from bestbuy and just plugged it in i didnt tell them about it or anything if thats what you mean

Then your fine.

I wouldn't sweat it, if it doesn't work, then just return the router to it's original configuration by disabling the clone MAC function.

I should ask why you want to do this, but it doesn't really matter to me.

This is not illegal unless you are trying to clone a MAC in order to get free services, etc.

BTW, I like the sig.

Been a Dave Mustaine and Megadeth fan since his split from Metallica.

I get crap sometimes for being the old guy listening to Hangar 18 or something on the local pub's juke box.

ha i love megadeth, my fav band cant wait till the new album comes out

man its gonna be good

metallica is coming out with a new one as well supposedly

does it bring up any red flags when i would do this to brighthouse?

BTW, I like the sig.

Been a Dave Mustaine and Megadeth fan since his split from Metallica.

I get crap sometimes for being the old guy listening to Hangar 18 or something on the local pub's juke box.

good song :)

they are all but good one

nope its not for illegal purposes

does it reset the router? i dont understand how the router would change the actual ip address?

can you explain that to meh

The router will reset itself after you submit the changes.

By changing the MAC address, the cable modem will assume that the hardware has been changed and therefore it will be assigned it's own new IP address.

The MAC tables in your ISP's CMTS will still remember you're old IP address for a while and it will keep that IP bound to the old hardware MAC id.

If you change the MAC id back, you will most likely get the same IP address back. (all depending on how long it is reserved while not being used)

There is allot more to this, but I am not a networking guru, I just work on the gear between the CMTS and the tap.

ha i love megadeth, my fav band cant wait till the new album comes out

man its gonna be good

metallica is coming out with a new one as well supposedly

does it bring up any red flags when i would do this to brighthouse?

good song :)

they are all but good one

No red flags, it will look exactly as if you went out and bought a new router and replaced your old one with it.

If your curious, maybe look into Brighthouse' service agreements online.

And 100% agree with you on Megadeth. Glad Dave did not retire for good with the nerve issues a few years back.

edit: My turn 4 dinner, be back later........

dang it didnt work on the mac address clone

does the Clone Wireless MAC need to be one more than the Clone WAN MAC

cause it was one higher on the last digit on default

Odd, I replied to your last post last night, but must not have submitted it???

Anyways, if that did not work, then maybe Insight BB is set up a different way then Cox and Comcast, etc.

That is the only way I can think of to try to force an IP change without calling your isp.

So I just tried this because I was bored.  I could not connect to the web afterward so I just reentered the original MAC and everything is normal again.  After you do this, must you go to your modem and hit "Reset All Defaults" or  "Restart Cable Modem"?

So I just tried this because I was bored.  I could not connect to the web afterward so I just reentered the original MAC and everything is normal again.  After you do this, must you go to your modem and hit "Reset All Defaults" or  "Restart Cable Modem"?

Yes, you will have to restart your modem most of the time, just unplug it's power for 5 seconds or so and then plug it back in. Or the restart function will work, too.

Now, just to verify, what was your original IP address?

Just want to make sure we are talking about the IP given to the router by the modem, and not the IP given to the PC by the router.

I just thought of something else.  I've always assumed that software companies have your ip logged and that is how they provide updates.  Is that correct?  If it is correct, then changing the ip (the one forums log, i.e.) would not be a good idea!

Another way to change your NIC (Network Interface Card) MAC address (not to be confused with your modem's MAC address).

Download a program titled "MacMakeUp" from Here

Look for the sentence that begins with "Current release is 1.95..." and you'll find the link at the end.

The program doesn't install anything. You can leave it on your desktop and run it from there.

Upon starting the app, the first thing you'll want to do is choose the "Manufacturer" of your NIC card from the drop-down menu. A "New address" will now be displayed directly above it. The first 6 numbers/letters are to be left alone, but you'll need to change the remaining 6. After you have selected a combination of numbers (0 - 9)/letters (A - F) of your choice, click the "Change" button. In the bottom part of the window, you will see that the program is shutting down/restarting your connection. Your new address will be complete. A reboot isn't normally required, but give your cable modem a chance to identify the new changes.

Note:

If you see a message stating "Can't find OID database" written just to the right of Manufacturer (see pic), it means that your NIC can't be identified. You can just click the button titled "Generate random" to get a New address. From there, click the "Change" button. In the bottom part of the window, you will see that the program is shutting down/restarting your connection. Your new address will be complete. A reboot isn't normally required, but give your cable modem a chance to identify the new changes.

macmakeup3qg.th.jpg

Before changing you NIC MAC address, make a note of your current one.

To do this, browse to:

StartRunType ipconfig /all and look for the Physical Address of the active connection (see pic).

ipconfigall8ra.th.jpg

or

Start, Control Panel, Network Connections

Right