No sound on computer for months now...

Cobra

Well, I figure I'll probably just take one last crack at this problem by coming to you guys. My sound stopped working ages ago, so after failing to fix it for about a week, I just dealt with having no sound for about three or four months. Then I got fed up and just bought a new soundcard, which worked... for about another three months, but then stopped working or something. I don't know. Maybe it's the speakers, maybe the soundcard, or maybe just my PC's dwindling health.

Anyway, I've been just sort of dealing with it by using my laptop from school for all video and stuff I need to watch, which is a cumbersome process but better than nothing. However, it's summer now so the school takes back all the laptops until the next year starts, so I have to rely on my new mp3 player for podcasts and music but can't watch video.

So yeah, I could probably use some help. I've already tried things like reinstalling all the drivers, finding updated ones, trying different slots for the soundcard, everything I could possibly think of, but then again, I'm probably missing something. I don't even know what I could do to try the speakers. All I've tried with them so far is checking to make sure they're plugged in right.

I always try google the device I'm having trouble with. Find others with same problem and how they solved it. Then if no help I google the computer I'm using with problem I'm having. Can we have at least the comp brand and sound card? I also use headphones to test sound. Can unplug from mp3 and know they work. Someone on here is sure to help you.

@TimPawlak: I've already tried that. It didn't work the first ten times, so I don't think I'll try again. It's a cumbersome process, installing this soundcard, and all it ever seems to accomplish is adding little AOL icons everywhere. :roll:

@dlewis23: I've already reformatted twice. First to get my computer at NTFS finally, and the second time was on accident. :oops: The sound didn't work after either.

@php:You know, this is something that I suspected was the problem from day 1, and I think I'll probably try this again soon, but I've tried setting it on digital during the reinstall of the card and I've tried setting digital off and neither seem to work, but then again, in my experiences with this computer, the simplest solution seems to only work after I've gone through every possible fix once and have to loop back to the first ones.