Can my comp handle pci-e cards

Kingknight67

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are you kidding onboard video is a thing of the future,no seriously,  you will still have people 5+ years from now trying to game with onbard video

onboard video would be awesome if someone integrated a good GPU and memory for it...

in the mid term pci express will probably displace agp like pci replaced isa and agp replaced pci for graphics cards.

pci-e has the advantage that it isn't limited to graphics cards. if you want to set up a raid for example there are some nice 16 channel sata raid controllers with their own processors and cache on the market for pci-e.

A couple of days ago I ordered an Athlon 64 @3500, a case, and a motherboard with AGP.  The reason that I got the AGP board is because last fall I spent $200 on a Geforce 6800.  I just want to get some more speed. 

I did here somewhere that they were gonna come up with agp16x but why bother when u can get pci-e.  Most pre built computers now are coming standard with a pci-e slot.  My brother bought a 300$  pre built pc a few months and it even had a pci-e slot and 4 mem slots.

Well really most mobos now have either a agp 8x slot or a pci-express slot.  Just when you are looking around for a motherboard make sure it does NOT have a agp slot and then it will most likely have a pci express slot

That's true, but it isn't going to do him any good if the old processor won't fit on the new motherboard because it is a different form factor.  I am talking about the computer processor, not the video card prcessor.  If the card is a PCI E, then use a PCI E motherboard.  Same with AGP.  But I'm more concerned because he wants to replace thre motherboard so he can use a PCI E card, but he didn't mention anything about the processor.  Oh, and also, you might have to upgrade your power supply too.  LOL.  I know this sounds like a lot, but it's not. 

Do you have a make and model number for your computer?  You can go on the web site and go to tech support and see what kind of processor your computer is using.  Or you can post it on here and I will look for you.  Like I say, you just want to make sure your old processor will work with your new motherboard, or you are going to have to replace the processor too.

Kingknight....after looking around a bit more, I pretty sure that the Kirin-V motherboard you have is a socket 478.  There aren't too many socket 478 boards around that support a PCI-E video card, but there are a few.  They cost an arm and a leg.  Pretty much your only options are to see if the board has an AGP slot, and if it does, get a decent AGP card.  If it doesn't, you are pretty much going to have to upgrade the board AND the processor, plus get the PCI-E card.  The processor you are running now will ONLY work with a socket 478 board. 

its a pentium 4 2.6 GHz, if thats ok, im pretty sure my power supply is fine

thats not a bad processor,  heck im running on a amd 1100 mhz processor.  You really dont need to upgrade your processor but it would help if you did in the future