Slow Downloading and Browser Freezes

DasteeZ

My connection has been quite "unreliable" lately. I have Comcast Cable, which runs at 6mb/375kb (the plan). I'm really not sure what I should be getting with this new Speed Boost which is supposed to bring Comcast's downloads to 12mb/16mb. Something weird that I noticed was when I direct connected my modem to my computer I got around 9mb down, but while using my Linksys "Network Everywhere" NR041 router I generally get below 6mb (varies). I've also noticed that Firefox and IE (tried working with both) freeze up everyonce in a while randomly. When I say freeze up, I mean it will load a website for minutes usually resulting in it not loading at all (note that nothing with my connection goes wrong). I've ran virus scans via AVG. I've ran spyware tests using Adaware and Spybot S&D. I've tried clearing the cache/internet files and cookies. I've defragmented my HD. I'm running out of possible reasons for my internet going slow/freezing. I'm thinking it's either my router, or possibly WinXP messing up because I did get a virus (removed it) when I reformatted my drive. So I'm either going to buy a new router, reformat my HD, or both because I'm running out of ideas. Thanks for any help.

Hey DasteeZ and welcome to the forum. :)  :hello: You have done a good amount of trouble shooting so it sounds like you know what your doing. When using your router are you hard wiring it to the computer or using it wireless. Wireless will give you a speed drop especially if you are using some encryption. If you are using a wired connection try using another cat cable to run from the modem to router and router to comp. Are you running firewalls? The fact that IE and Firefox freezes up is a little odd. When you say freeze up is it just not loading the webpage or does the browser window become unresponsive?