Help! with networking options

I am currently running cat 5 cable a distance of approx. 500 feet from a router to a switch at my office network. Just recently I installed a new computer but I am no longer able to get on the internet. My computer tech says the distance I am running the cat 5 cable is too long and too much is being lost in the signal to be able to get on the internet.

Question 1) with this distance (500 feet) from the modem to the office network

should I look into a wireless set up and if so what would be a good set up.

Question 2) is there any work around to continue using the 500 feet of cat cable connection?

Your input is greatly appreciated

What type of Cat 5 you running. 100 350 or 500mhz. When i network my computer to my fatherlaws computer which was about 100 or more feet, my hub would only work on one end. so when i replaced it with 350mhz it work bothways and noticed faster transfers.

iirc the spec for cat5 is 333 feet. or thereabouts. for a quick workaround (and if you have power available there, hack the cable in half, crimp on two rj-45's and connect the two segments with a cheap hub.or preferably a cheap switch that should work.

the hub/switch will receive signals and retransmit them down the second segment. thereby you are not going over the max length.

for a fixed installation i would not recommen wireless unless you are going over open ground or under a road or something so you can't hang a hub/switch onto the line. if that is the case i would get two wireless bridges and build cantennae for them or rig up a pair of yagis or even a dish setup to get decent signal quality. (note that using a directional antenna on a wireless device intended for omnidirectional output probably will put it over the fcc signal strength levels.

Hey an inexpensive transciever that just takes an incoming ethernet connections and converts it to fiber optics and transmits is about $150.00 plus 30-50 for the optical cable and another $150.00 for another transciver to convert the optics back to ethernet and an inexpensive switch or hub.. and bam.......

• 1 month later...

I resolved the problem: :haha:

1) Followed recommendation to install a switch about 250 feet down line and

2) Discovered that I had a bad NIC card in a new Acer computer>>after replacing the card and installing the switch = $60.00 all is well and my downloadtests have increased.

Thanks for all the feedback. Amen