non realistic speed test rsults?!?

Hi there,

i had some issues with IBB in the past. Now i ran the download tests of your site a couple of times and the best i got with my 2MB breeze was ~100Kbs.

Then i started a 171MB download from another site (ftp.freenet.de) and got rates of up to 190Kbs!

Is it possible that your server suffers from limited bandwith? This would obviously cause in wrong test results...

Cheerz,

brayhead

The only speed you can trust from actual downloads is the download speed showed at the end. Otherwise it includes burst, and even worse, the time between clicking the link and picking a folder to download it to. Testmy.net doesn't suffer from limited bandwidth.

Hi, thanks for your reply!

I am aware of bursts and user handling delays and those things, but i definitely had an average rate of about 190 kB/s after 170MB - it took about 15 minutes! I am currently downloading the same file (http://ftp.freenet.de./pub/filepilot/windows/spiele/3d_shooter/alienarena/alienarena2006ue.zip) and checking the bytes transmitted is a little bit less: about 150kB/s (1200 kbps) right now.

Stoped download and ran your test:

Download Connection is:: 194 Kbps about 0.19 Mbps (tested with 386 kB)

Download Speed is:: 24 kB/s

I think this is a bit weird...

brayhead

Eh, while testmy.net isn't bandwidth limited, it can still suffer from any server issue, which is what seems to be happening atm.

Interesting ISP you have. At first the prices seemed outragous, but now it seems it offers symmetrical connections up to 4/4 Mbit. Since you downloaded at over 1000 Kbps, I would guess you're on the 2 Mbps package. Something to note is that once this server issue is fixed you'll need to use the biggest test possible, because you're overseas and on a decent connection. Try the dual-test :)

oh, actually - this is the ping to www.testmy.net:

Ping www.testmy.net [67.18.179.85] mit 32 Bytes Daten:

Antwort von 67.18.179.85: Bytes=32 Zeit=309ms TTL=47

Antwort von 67.18.179.85: Bytes=32 Zeit=378ms TTL=47

Antwort von 67.18.179.85: Bytes=32 Zeit=372ms TTL=47

Antwort von 67.18.179.85: Bytes=32 Zeit=277ms TTL=47

...which doesn

• 4 months later...

oh, actually - this is the ping to www.testmy.net:

Ping www.testmy.net [67.18.179.85] mit 32 Bytes Daten:

Antwort von 67.18.179.85: Bytes=32 Zeit=309ms TTL=47

Antwort von 67.18.179.85: Bytes=32 Zeit=378ms TTL=47

Antwort von 67.18.179.85: Bytes=32 Zeit=372ms TTL=47

Antwort von 67.18.179.85: Bytes=32 Zeit=277ms TTL=47

...which doesn

• 5 months later...

Actually it is true though the closer you are to a test server the less hops that your packets will have to travel and therefore you will have better through put,  just like when i test i get better results from closer servers suck as speakeasy in chicago.  To bad testmy.net did have differents testing servers located in different parts of the usa that way the people that live close to texas always seem to have the best speeds and ping times then the ones that live further away from the servers. 

My ISP test server is like 70 miles from me and i have noticed i always get better throughput there then any other test site.