AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+

amc11890

Along with last week's Athlon 64 FX-62 CPU and Socket AM2 chipset announcements, AMD introduced a more mainstream dual-core chip, the Athlon 64 X2 5000+. At $696 (according to AMD's pricing per 1,000 units), the X2 5000+ has a lot of performance to offer for the price, stacking up well alongside AMD's pricier Athlon 64 X2 FX-60 and FX-62 CPUs, as well as Intel's most advanced desktop chip, the Pentium Extreme Edition 965. If Intel weren't close to announcing a major overhaul to its CPU lineup in the coming months, we'd be able to provide a clearer recommendation for the Athlon 64 X2 5000+. As it stands, powerful though it is, we suggest you hold off purchasing such an expensive chip until we know what Intel's next-generation Core 2 Duo processors will bring to the computing table.

Despite the impending Intel announcement, the X2 5000+ deserves merit. Compared to everything else in the field right now, the X2 5000+ will serve everyone but demanding gamers well. At 2.6GHz per core, it's faster than all of AMD's original X2 series of dual-core CPUs. It was also announced on the same date as the aforementioned Socket AM2 chipset for a reason.

The new AM2 chipset brings all of AMD's CPUs onto an updated motherboard platform, although the company needs to reissue separate AM2 versions of the old Socket 939 chips. The X2 5000+, however, is Socket AM2 only. About all that really means is that you'll need to buy a new motherboard (Socket AM2 and Socket 939 aren't cross-compatible) and new DDR2 memory, since AM2 boards don't use DDR memory. Aside from the memory switch, the only other major advantage of the new platform is reduced power consumption. Whereas on Socket 939, the highest-end X2 chip, the 4800+, required 115 watts from your power supply, the X2 5000+ (and the AM2 version of the 4800+) needs only 89 watts. While we appreciate the improvement, it will really benefit you only if you're building a PC with multiple high-end graphics cards.

rest of the article/review herehttp://reviews.cnet.com/AMD_Athlon_64_X2_5000/4505-3086_7-31890132-2.html?tag=nav

AM2 has been out for more than a week...

Anyway, all high-end chips are for rich people, from a normal user standpoint it's not worth the money. Between FX and X2 I would probably go with FX though, atleast until games start taking advantage of dual core (multi process).

Anyway, all high-end chips are for rich people, from a normal user standpoint it's not worth the money. Between FX and X2 I would probably go with FX though, atleast until games start taking advantage of dual core (multi process).

welcome to the forum Sco77

highend chips can be for anyone with a job and a little time. personally i would never spend more then $350 on a processor, because i can always over clock it and get the performace of a $500-$600 CPU.

welcome to the forum Sco77

highend chips can be for anyone with a job and a little time. personally i would never spend more then $350 on a processor, because i can always over clock it and get the performace of a $500-$600 CPU.

That and an Athlon64  3700 - 4000+ ($200-$300) is not going to be the limiting factor in any game currently out, the limiting factor would be Video card (in-game) and HDD (load time)... difference between a 4000+ and those high-end chips is minimal, maybe 5-10%, which isn't much for the 100+ % cost difference.

Thanks for the welcoming.