xbox 360 vga help\VGA vs component for xbox 360

Hey all, I own the Westinghouse LVM-37W1 which has component hookups and a VGA hookup. I recently found out that with the update from xbox live that the VGA users can watch movies up converted to 720p...something that you can't do with the component HD cable. I was looking into buying a up converting DVD player before I heard this news. But now...here is my question...On the westinghouse HD monitor would the game look better or worse with a VGA HD cable versus a component HD cable. My TV can support up to 1920x1080p...will the VGA cable crank out higher resolutions than my component cable as well? Thanks for all of your help. I hope you all prefer the VGA because I would rather shell out 40 bucks for an up converting DVD player than spending 130-200 bucks.  ;)

A friend of mine has a 24" Sony Trinitron GDM-FW900 PC monitor and a Sony Bravia KDL-46S2000 television which supports 1080i (a VGA hook up is on the back as well). I must say that the Xbox360 looks fantastic on the TV through the use of the component cables, but due to the over-scan (zooming), certain parts of the interface/games were being cut out of view. Searching for a different alternative was a must...

He and I went out to EB Games to purchase an Xbox 360 VGA HD/AV Cable. He picked it up used for $9.99 (obviously some one didn't know what they had and returned it). Leaving the store, we could hear two employees talking amongst themselves about the purchase, "That guy just got a steal. That was the only used VGA cable in the store, and I'm surprised someone brought it back."

A decision was made to run the Xbox360 through his GDM-FW900, and it turned out to be a great move. GRAW was the game of choice, and it blew us away on the monitor. Everything was visible and the detail was unbelievable. It produced a sharper display than the component cables on the KDL-46S2000, but the maximum resolution we could select was 1360x768. Unfortunately, at that time, the VGA cable could not unlock 1920x1080 (1080p) or anything close to it on the monitor or TV, but it looked awesome. Maybe it can now though. :)

Basically, before the recent updates, the Xbox 360 VGA HD/AV Cable would not be able to crank out higher resolutions than your component connection in terms of display size. However, if the new features will now support the higher resolutions through VGA, that's the best way to go IMO. :) The detail is unmatched.

It's rumored that when the Xbox 360 outputs 1080i using the HD component cable, it only does the old 540p-upconvert-to-1080i trick as opposed to true 1080i.

• 1 month later...

Okay, I recently got a Psyclone HDTV and Monitor VGA Cable for Xbox 360. I was going to originally get the microsoft VGA cable. Well, it's been a few weeks and now I'm looking at the description of my psyclone cable at bestbuy.com and it doesn't support 1080i. When I looked at Microsoft's VGA it certainly does support up to 1080i. With some games the psyclone cable looks awesome and with others the colors seem a bit washed out and the picture not as crisp. The psyclone does support 720p. Should I stick with it or buy the 360 VGA cable? As always I appreciate everyones advice.

Will games really look better in 1080i?  Maybe the slower action games, but I thought FPS games would look smoother in 720p. 

Another question.  Even running at 1080i, does the TV still scale it back to 720p?  (assuming the native res is 1366 X 768)  Im still new to the HD so im curious.

Will games really look better in 1080i?  Maybe the slower action games, but I thought FPS games would look smoother in 720p. 

Another question.  Even running at 1080i, does the TV still scale it back to 720p?  (assuming the native res is 1366 X 768)  Im still new to the HD so im curious.

yes games will look better in 1080i. it will only scale it back to 720p if the TV does not support 1080i.

Duh... :oops: What I meant is that 720p looks smoother and sharper than 1080i.  But yeah I also have a question does getting different HD cables for the xbox 360 make a difference than the stock microsoft HD cable?

The reason 720p looks smoother to you is because its progressive, 1080i is interlaced, but 1080i will be faster then 720p because it takes half the time to generate 1 frame.

getting differnet cables can make a difference if they are better cables, (ie. Thicker) But the microsoft ones are actually pertty good.