building new system

fred

:D I am at a point in time that requires me to dispose of the old and acquire the new, as in mother board. I have an old case and peripherals which will do quite well if the new mobo will fit. I read about 64 bit AMD's so on and so forth, however I am not really sure which way to go! I do know that I want more ram and more processing power, as in dual core. There is one more problem that I was made aware of and that is with Mr. Gates and company and that is when you change boards the hard drive thinks it is being screwed and you have to get intouch with Microsoft and give them the numbers that you installed your OP with and make them aware that you are changing mobo's. I want to keep my hard drive and OP/sys, if that is possible. What I have now is a 1.7 gig processor speed and a P/4 processor (which I will have to change) with 512 meg's of RAM I don't know what the front side buss is but it needs to be up there also. If some good person out there could give me instructions on what to do I would be forever grateful

Thanks

Fred  :D

the following setup is a bomb if you can shell out the money and if you love playing with/configuring ur computer

1) dfi sli-dr expert motherboard

2) amd opteron 165 dual core processor

3) 2gb ram

....these are the 3 main components i wouldnt be shy on when spending the $ :) ...they offer great performance

i honestly doubt that ..... all those benchies showing the conroe out are controlled environment benchmarks....not really accurate - it is unreal thinking that either amd or intel would be behind each other in this cpu war - they are both pretty much on the same page at all times

they are both pretty much on the same page at all times

intel and amd have never even been close to being on the same page with there processors. its not even funny how far off they have both been for the last 3 years. Intel had there huge fat pipeline, amd had there nice and shot pipeline, amd had small amounts of cache, intel had hugh amounts of cache. Intel finally got there head out of there ass and realized that clock speed is not the answer. and now they got this insanely fast low wattage, low heat processor, while amd is going for this high wattage very hot setup that will come out after conroe. so they have always been a different page.

Yeah the clock speeds are way different between the two processors.  But unfourtanely most of the public look at the clock speeds to determine which processor is better.  I also think the pr rating that AMD used confused a lot of people including me until i finally understood that there is a huge pipeline size difference.  Ive had many friends that asked me how fast my processor was i would say 1.5ghz(AMD athlon xp 1800)  and they would say o my celeron at 1.9ghz can kill that. 

This kind of info really helps out a lot, and I do appreciate all of the info that is going on in this thread. My PC is on the fringes of shooting craps. and I do not know how much longer it will last me. I was looking in the $500.00 range with all of the goodies I have now, however all of my memory and processor and board will have to be compatible and also upgraded to today's standards and I am not really sure what that is anymore. Got into PC's @ the end of win 95 and educated myself in win 98 up, hopefully with this additional info we can get a little more on the same page and discuss this build a little more  Thank's Fred:-)

What are you saying, I built my system  buying every part, "but my case" off of ebay.

Most sellers have actual stores that they own and want to branch out to a wider consumer so they sell on ebay. and I'm talking NEW PARTS TOO. I'm a buyer/seller for ebay... Don;t knock it if u don't know

Why would you buy a used part if your building A Brand New System? and that's why they use rating systems so Don;t buy from someone who is rated as a low rated seller.

i didnt say they were used. and i dont buy from anyone that has less then a 25 feed back score.

my friend

if you want my advice here it goes

if u got some money wait for conroe to come out and buy one of those babies they are quick

yeah i have seen the benchmarks you have seen guys but i have them here in the lab next to me and yeah they are quick guys.

but if you dont have much money then conroe will be too expensive for you

wait till it comes out so they drop the prices in the old models and buy a dual core of an old model

would still be better then what you have

just my 2 cents in terms of CPU

:D Thanks guy's this is all helpful info and am looking forward to building a new system this conroe makes my dress :haha:flyup and am going to do some research on the conroe, but being new I hope it will not be infested with all kind of (bugs) if you know what I mean.  With it being new and all it may  take a couple of years to work them out before perfection is achieved!!!

what components you want will depend a lot on what you will be using the computer for - if you are using it for gaming, by all means please go with 2gb of ram - 1gb is enough but 2gb really makes the system go - and the power supply will totally depend on what you will be powering and how stable of a system you want - research your components, visit some forums, read some diy guides to see if those parts work well together - there are so many incompatibilies when it comes to computer system even if it seems they might work together - its mostly about memory not being compatible with a certain motherboard or something similar.....

Yes by all means I will research the compatibility issues and especially the power supply and the memory, front side bus speeds, and so on and so forth, that conroe sure looks nice and is reasonably priced @ 250.00 bucks that will allow for a lot of extra goodies and I have gone to other forums like extreme OC and the PSU forum for power supplies also went back to the site I bought my last mobo @ and checked some of their newer equipment also but the input that I am receiving here sure is helpfull :D