Gates is Steping Down

dlewis23

Bill Gates to step down from Microsoft

REDMOND, Washington (AP) -- Microsoft Corp. Chairman Bill Gates said Thursday he will transition out of a day-to-day role at the company he co-founded to spend more time on global health and education work at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

The company announced a two-year transition to ensure that there is a smooth transfer of Gates' daily responsibilities, and said that after July 2008 Gates would continue to serve as the company's chairman and an adviser on key development projects.

"This was a hard decision for me," Gates said in a statement. "I'm very lucky to have two passions that I feel are so important and so challenging. As I prepare for this change, I firmly believe the road ahead for Microsoft is as bright as ever."

Chief Technical Officer Ray Ozzie will immediately assume the title of chief software architect and begin working with Gates on all technical and product oversight responsibilities, Microsoft said.

Similarly, Chief Technical Officer Craig Mundie will immediately take the new title of chief research and strategy officer and will work with Gates on the company's research and incubation efforts.

Mundie also will partner with general counsel Brad Smith to guide Microsoft's intellectual property and technology policy efforts, Microsoft said.

Source:  http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/06/15/gates.ap/index.html

What do you guys think of this

*shrugs* He's a businessman now, he doesn't need to bother with the daily grind right? If I was as brilliant as he was to capitalize on everything he has, I would prolly do it too.... unfortunately he has forgotten what it's like to be the little guy, and I doubt "semi-retiring" is going to change that....

Go for it Gates , take the retirement , you can afford it , I did , trouble is I cant afford it , but I would rather be broke , and be my own man, life is to short ,and there is allways ways of making some money  :uzi:

well, he's worth what, 46 billion as of 2003? seeing how the inheritence to his kid (or is it kids now) was supposed to be only 1 or 2 billion, he needs the extra time to spread all that cash around. the charity work he has and is doing is awesome. he is in the public eye, he is stinking rich and best of all he doesn't meddle in politics like every single hollywood scumbag and pop star seems to feel entitled to do.

well, he's worth what, 46 billion as of 2003? seeing how the inheritence to his kid (or is it kids now) was supposed to be only 1 or 2 billion, he needs the extra time to spread all that cash around. the charity work he has and is doing is awesome. he is in the public eye, he is stinking rich and best of all he doesn't meddle in politics like every single hollywood scumbag and pop star seems to feel entitled to do.

Yes I fully agree with that Reso.... IMHO we would not have TMN, if it wasn't

for Mr. Gates, and I don't begrudge him his $billions, I used to go for a evening drive in my car, now I just use a few Watts of power , and surf the world,

so for me he is environmental sound, and has changed my life,I hope for the better,I now have e-mail friends across the world and a deeper understanding of different cultures, never got that from cruising the roads in the UK     

well, actually he couldn't keep it all to himself. even one billion, if invested so you can take out three percent a year and have the rest of the interest/returns on investment adjust for inflation means you have to spend 30 million a year. that is more than 80 000 dollars a day. going by the latest figure of 46 billion from 2003 in gates case that would be almost 3.4 million smackers a day. a day!