Help Ya Boy Out Please

RaWDiZ

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:) RaWDIZ

There are many cable company's in the U.S.,some are better than others,Cox.Hsi which I have in Tucson AZ. is very good ,in fact its one of the best,if not the best.I base my opinion on my own experience and that of my friends and people I talk to all over.I know for certain that Cox cable is in Georgia,but I dont know if its in your community.I dont work for the cable co. so I'm not trying to give a sales pitch,I just think its a really good deal,for instance Most people pay around $20.00 a month for their ISP(AOL,MSN,etc...)thats for a slow ass dial up connection less than 56k.I pay $40.00 for COX HSI which is fast my advertised speed is 3000/256,but my download is faster than 3000 .they usually give me more bandwith than I pay for.Not only that but my service is good,the few problems Ive had were quickly resolved,and they have even helped me fix when it was my computer.Not bad free service,anyway the person who works for COX and owns this really cool accurate site(ca3le guy) can tell you more.I guess what I'm saying if you can afford broadband its the only way to fly in my opinion.The difference to me is like a Volkswagen and a porche.So there it is you decide,I think you will get some more opinions.....

8) Microwave

Well, yeah cox is in Georgia but, middle georgia like,Rome,Atlanta,Athens,all that.But me i live in the southwest part of Ga.And if it was up to me i would get cable,but it's not cause i don't pay $h :!: t around hear, beside i'm still in my teens so i can't do big thangs like ya'll be doin.It would probably be easier to talk hear into getting cable if she knew what it did and was, but she dosen't as a matter of fact she dosen't even know how to turn a computer on.So i guess till i start stacking up on paper like ya'll when i get older then i'll be stuck with dail-up.So the only thing i wanted to know is what would be some of the good companys to try and see if I could lower some of my ping time :?:

The lowest ping that i have seen on a 56k line 120~140ms. This is nothing like broadband. Here is my ping for testmy.net

Reply from 69.56.184.110: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=48

Reply from 69.56.184.110: bytes=32 time=50ms TTL=48

Reply from 69.56.184.110: bytes=32 time=40ms TTL=48

Reply from 69.56.184.110: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=48

Ping statistics for 69.56.184.110:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 30ms, Maximum = 50ms, Average = 37ms

Now you can jump on the bandwagon!! Check with the phone company about dsl. I know in illinois, where i live, SBC offers a 1.5/256 package for $27.99 which is about the same price as an extra phone line and 56k service per month. Now the speed on this package isnt great but it is broadband. :D Check it out! you phone company might offer something very simular and it could be cheap because they own the physical line. Also the telephone number doesnt matter at all. Remember you want ADSL and not SDSL. ADSL stands for asymmetic digital suscriber line. the peak speeds are 9mb download/640upload. the provides the option for the phone company to up the speed if the bandwidth is available. Just look around a bit. A great site is http://www.dslreports.com to find good service in your area. Cable is going to be more expensive but the speeds will be faster then a dsl line. Good luck 8)

For dsl look for ADSL that has a high download speed. 9mb is the maximum download the ADSL can support. Something in the 1.5-3 mb range is good. Upload is important for online games/file sharing so something like 250 to 300 is decent. Again 640kbs is the max for ADSL. Post some plans you are looking at an we can let you know.

For dsl look for ADSL that has a high download speed. 9mb is the maximum download the ADSL can support. Something in the 1.5-3 mb range is good. Upload is important for online games/file sharing so something like 250 to 300 is decent. Again 640kbs is the max for ADSL. Post some plans you are looking at an we can let you know.

This also why I'm having such a hard time getting a stable connection with online games. Inside the chello network (testserver) I get 80 kbps and outside (Testmy.net) i get 3KB/sec :cry:

OK the best deal that i could find is EarthLink Cable internet access 2000/384. it is 29.95 for the first 6 months then it jumps to 42.00. This is a good deal. Few other questions... Do you have a seperate phoneline for you computer? What ISP are you currently on?

So you computer connects on the same phoneline as you home phone??

Yeah,But I will try and get dsl if i can see if i can make happen what happend the other day which was i connected at 57.6 kbps.So it has to be somthing else besides the isp,i think.

So you computer connects on the same phoneline as you home phone??

Yeah,But I will try and get dsl if i can see if i can make happen what happend the other day which was i connected at 57.6 kbps.So it has to be somthing else besides the isp,i think.

The deal Swimmer posted is probably the best your going to find. And it is for a cable connection which is better than DSL. Although I'm sure there are people who would disagree with me. But they would be wrong :twisted:

The best one that I know of for dialup is the cablenut program. If you haven't already read the faq on it and learn what all the settings are and play around with them. Although with your ping time as high as it is your probably not going to get any faster. Although I hope you prove me wrong :)

You scanned for viruses but did you scan for spyware even if you did i would do it again with these 3 programs

http://lavasoft.element5.com/software/adaware/

http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?lang=en&page=download

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

I can't really tell you which ones to try since everybodys connection is different. It just takes some time and patience. What works for one person might not work for another so you can't really go by what works for other people. Go to the link below about halfway down the page that this link takes you to are all the meanings of the different settings. From ther its all about trying out different settings and seeing what works and what doesnt.

http://www.broadbandnuts.com/index.php?page=tiptrix

:ar15:

you really cant tweek a 56k connection all that much :cry: If you want faster speeds go broadband!! Dont try another 56k ISP!!! They my say like 5x faster than standard dialup but they are just placing programs that condence the website so that not all of the graphics are loaded at one time. Check around call you phone company and cable tv company to see what they offer. Remember you want ADSL! 8)