satmex5 transponders

rlh24

I am getting my dish re-pointed this Thursday the 13th. I am currently on Satmex5 and transponder 1050. Does anyone think either transponder on Satmex5 is better than any other one. Maybe I could even get on a new sat. all together. If that is possible which one may be less congested?  I have the DW6000 on the consumer plan. The Reverend, you mentioned a transponder 1300MHz, in you post with yooperlady. Do you feel I would be better off with that one here in Maryland.

Thanks for the reply. No problem with the time frame. I see you are very busy these days. The authorization have already been given to repoint my dish and get a new transponder. I talked to someone in Administrative Office this afternoon, I have not got the go ahead for a new satellite, that is why I asked if it were even possible.  What about my question for a transponder? Are any of them less congested? You mentioned 1300. I had never heard of that one. Is it for business only? I certainly do not want to put out any more money with this system that I am not completly  happy with at this time due to the difference in downloads througout the day. 

Well, the exact frequency isn't an "even" 1300 ....it is something like 1305 or so.  The ones who are on it are quite happy with it, and there is another one (1260?) that has next to nothing for net-congestion at this time.  But, give it 3 months and they'll all be maxed out.  That's how DWay works! (it's a very irritating way for them to be conducting business ....they are chasing the money trail and to hell with the customers)!  I'll see if I can't dig up that info as soon as I am able to log into DWay.  Right now it isn't responding for me ....as usual....

I'm using 1202MHz, yet I am pretty sure that it is reserved for Commercial use only (G4R).  It gets congested, yet the speeds stay UP because it is a 'pricey' account with a bit of extra bandwidth to fall back on ...but over the past two days I've had periods of speeds less than 50 ...and I'm not impressed seeing that it cost me $1300US up front plus $134.00US per month!  grrr...

Para Vida!

Thanks for all your help The Reverend. You have posted lots of useful information.  I just got off the phone with Executive Customer Support Tech, I am suppossed to get repointed to Horizons 1 tomorrow. He told me it is just a few degrees west of satmex5, located at 127 long. If that is correct I will have no problem with the line of site. I sure hope this is a smooth transition.

I have read your pointing up article and will pay attention when the installer is here tomorrow. I wil be sure to be "best buddies" with the installer. Thanks again. You are just full in information. I will let you and this forum know how all this turns out.

Well my satellite change was a sucess! I am now on Horizons 1, 1270. It was almost a seemless transition. It did take some time to get the modem re-commissioned. The installer who originally installed my system was the one who came out to do this sat change, My speed looks great for this time of day. I was not getting this kind of speed on satmed5. Many thanks to all members who helped me with this decision. Signal peaked at 67. Cross pol number were high also.

Hey there rlh24!

TY for the info, and I am well-pleased you had a headache free transition.  Hats off to your installer for that one!  You are on the least used Transponder available, so you shouldn't see too much variation in your speeds throughout any day.  I'm still amazed that you have been moved to H1 considering your location.  (Horizon 1 was originally placed to service Hawaii, Alaska, and part of the west coast.  But, after they commissioned the 'bird', they discovered it had an 'awesome' footprint ...so perhaps alot more people will find themselves being moved to H1 over the next few months)?  Time will tell.

Thanks again and Cheers!

"The Rev"

I am very pleased with this change right now. We had heavy rain this morning and I was still able to surf and I only had a signal of 44. There is no way I would have benn able to go online with satmex5. The slightest rain would normally cut out my system. While the installer was here he tried a cross pole test and my system failed 100%. I must have had something out of line. I have been following your thread with yooperlady. I think I will try TCP Optimizer instead of cablenut.  Do you have a secret(hehe) setting for me?

Hey there rlh24!!!

I sure do have a "secret" setting!  When you run the programme, set it up like this (the only thing that you should be changing is to be turning the Time Stamping to YES (on) ...which helps make up for the latency which is horrible with satellites!

Cablenut just does not work correctly with DirecWay in any manner.  I've messed with it in everyway and decided it is solely for "ground broadband" ...and nothing more.

Here are the settings I use:

Tcp Receive Window  0

Window Scaling  No

Time Stamping  Yes

Selective Acks  Yes

Dial Up (RAS) MTU  (blank)

Path MTU Discovery  YES

Black Hole Detection  NO!!!

Max Duplicate ACKs  2 (and only two)!

TTL  64

If you are using a Router, you'll want to apply these changes (in Adapter Settings) to:  Realtek TRL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC (or whatever your NIC is)

If you are NOT using a router, then you just bring up whatever it has detected in that box, then set your MTU to 1500 (all of DirecWay works on 1500, make it 1480 if you are not using a DW6000, otherwise keep it at 1500, click on Save, then exit.

You may wish to write down what's in each box JUST IN CASE it trashes your connection ...that way you can go back in and reset, save and escape the error very easily ...BUT >>>>LEAVE THE TIME STAMPING SET TO "YES"  :confused1:  That is the #1 "secret" of why Dr. TCP kicks up most all satellite speeds because it allows extra time for the latency (and other mathematical things too complicated to get into)!  LOL

Cheers!  Hey...lemme know how it works out please?  TY!

The Reverend.

*PS:  I am well-pleased that it's working out so very well for you!  That's an amazingly low SS to have and still be connected, so there ain't NUTTIN' wrong with yur dish!  lol  (I love it)!

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 726 Kbps about 0.7 Mbps (tested with 579 KB)

Download Speed is:: 89 KB/s

Tested From:: http://www.testmy.net/

Bottom Line:: 13 times faster than 56K you can download 1MB in 11.51 second(s)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/cgi-bin/get.cgi?Test_ID=IDTLNUM0F

That is my speed test now with your suggested settings. I am happy with that. Can it be better?

If that was just taken in the last 30 minutes, no ...I don't think you can assuming you have applied all the other tweaks that I have been laying on everyone.  In fact, I can't get over 400Kbps at the moment, so you are looking good to me!  LOL!

You may want to try the LARGEST test though.... that will give you the most accurate speed result.  You may be "bursting" with the little file you see?

Cheers!

The Reverend

*Horizons 1 will be gaining speed steadily ....starting sometime this weekend as they get the kinks worked out of their last screwup.  Satellites are very fussy, and apparently they hate DirecWay.  :)

Largest test results right now.

Connection is:: 454 Kbps about 0.5 Mbps (tested with 2992 KB)

Download Speed is:: 55 KB/s

Bottom Line:: 8 times faster than 56K you can download 1MB in 18.62 second(s)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/cgi-bin/get.cgi?Test_ID=VDP05SCE4

Say rlh24,

Have you tried the same test using IE6?  (Setup in the ways I have been posting this past week)?  I called NOC and you should be getting nearly 1,000 or perhaps better ....and it is well known that IE6 will beat Firefox when using DWay ...."hands down."

Lemme know as I will be up as long as I can hold on!  LOL

"The Rev"

I am willing to try any settings you have. All of them can be deleted since they have a default setting. Lets do some testing. I am willing, are you?. Dum question., I know you are as willing as I am to get more speed. Let try something. Im me if you do not want them showing on the forum.

Showing on the Forum is the whole idea rlh24!!!  That way everyone can benefit from reading about how everybody else is being affected by DirecWay ...what works and what doesn't, what stays the same and what changes.  ETC!

If you just look over everything that is posted on the first page of this forum, you'll find ALL the stuff to try in order to get the fastest speed possible, or I will talk you through it one step at a time .....your choice!

"The Rev"

First, you need to get into your IE6 browser. clean out the caches, delete all cookies, then either post back or start reading!  LOL

You specifcally said IE6. I do have that browser but I normally use Firefox. Would that have any bearing on what we are trying to do here. If so that could be the whold issue since I have firefoc with all test. I do find that it is consistently faster than IE. Tcp is set at extreme.

firefox speed test. TCP Optimizer settings

Connection is:: 562 Kbps about 0.6 Mbps (tested with 1496 KB)

Download Speed is:: 69 KB/s

Bottom Line:: 10 times faster than 56K you can download 1MB in 14.84 second(s)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/cgi-bin/get.cgi?Test_ID=JX3UT76DA

IE6 speed test. TCP Optimizer settings

Connection is:: 1648 Kbps about 1.6 Mbps (tested with 1496 KB)

Download Speed is:: 201 KB/s

Bottom Line:: 29 times faster than 56K you can download 1MB in 5.09 second(s)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/cgi-bin/get.cgi?Test_ID=6PYVEZKSH

That IE6 speed can not be right . Can it? I did it twice. Cache was cleared.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

IE6 is CONSISTENTLY faster with DirecWay that what will ever be possible using FireFox, simply because DirecWay designed the DW6000 modem for use with IE6, and not with "light weight" browsers in mind.  So yes, I do believe you are getting a "real life" (AND IMPRESSIVE) download speed there ....which is a reflection of what the system-wide changes will bring to alot of DWay users ....a bit more speed and there is talk of raising the FAP to accomodate the faster speeds if enough users can get it up over the 1.5Mbps threshold  (actually, if you can hit or slightly exceed 80% of your advertsied speed then you are doing splendidly, and the rest is gravy.  (That's the fastest speed I've seen with a DW6000, assuming you are using one ...and my stats say you are (but aren't accurate by any means)!  That''s killer!  (I hate you)!  :confused1:  LOL  just kidding of course.

It looks as though the TCP Optimzer is working out to be the best for the majority, so I've placed another copy of it attached to this post.  It is pretty much self-explanatory.  Just open it up, set it for "Extreme", then work through each tab, save, reboot and pray!  You WILL want to start by clicking on File , then "Save Current Settings" to make it easy to return your TCP/IP Stack to what it was before if it kills your connection or slows you down  ...but give it about 15 minutes after installing it to allow time for NOC to catch up with your newer settings okay? 

Good luck to those that catch this (yet missed the last one).

Cheers!

The Reverend

Oh!  I graciously thank you and appreciate your kind words rlh24!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You  are most welcome of course.  That TCP Optimizer is quite the little devil when it comes to DWay-based applications.  Hard to beat!  :)

Cheers!

;)  "The Rev"  (feel free to just call me "Rev" if you wish.  "The Reverend" is just my formal title ...that's all. (yes!  I am really a Reverend)!  :)