DirecWay Transponders/Satellites Info

The Reverend

Reverend,

I had my DW6000CE  installed on 27 Dec 04 and they put me on Horizons 1, 1270 Mhz.  Live near Cincinnati and the dish is pointed almost directly west at 244 degrees and a 44 azmuth. Signal RSL has averaged from 65 to 75 with above average downloads. Installer had me scheduled for AMC3 and set the dish with no problems then he called the NOC and they told him to try for Horizons because of problems over the last few weeks.  Horizons1 also has a C band side called G13 and this bird is located between West Coast and Hawaii at 127W. 

Connection is:: 1321 Kbps about 1 Mbps (tested with 1496 KB)

Download Speed is:: 161 KB/s

Tested From:: http://www.testmy.net/

Bottom Line:: 24 times faster than 56K you can download 1MB in 6 second(s)

Gary

Why yes!  That's the new satellite (bird) that went up not all that long ago basically for the use of Wild Blue.  She's called Horizons One and not only will (does) provide backboning for Hughes (DirecWay) ...but is capable of splitting a BUNCH of Ka Band signals, which is what WIld Blue is going to be using.  Hughes built and paid for the bird to be launched.  It certainly seems that Wild Blue is simply an extension of Hughes, and you are walking proof.  (I've been waiting for somebody to come along and say there were using Horizons One.  lol....

Say, that is a superb speed you have there.  I just ran a test as soon as I logged in but I'm shy of your mark by 212Kbps.  Then again, I am shooting Galaxy 4 (GR4) ...all the way from Costa Rica (my dish looks like it's horizontal!  lol....  (So I can understand why I don't get the speed ....I've MAJOR LATENCY ISSUES ....but I'll live!

Hey, thanks for the info.  This one is going up on my wall so that I won't forget who is using Horizons One ....which is supposedly reserved for Wild Blue usage only! Ha!  I won THAT bet!  (rubbing hands in glee).

Cheers!

*Horizons One is designed to handle Hawaii and Alaska, but already they have her taking on the East Coast?  You must be in an unusual area of it's footprint!  I'll have to check it out if I can ever find the time to get to the FootPrint page! 

Thanks again!

For the most popular, including the new Horizon 1 ------>  http://www.motosat.com/f1footprint.htm

These links are usually "up" and updated since the footprints change with magnetic flux and deviation (as the earth "wobbles' a bit ...especially after that last Tsunami quake in the Indian ocean)!  That messed up every satellite Ground Control on the planet!

http://www.kusat.com/go.php?path=/install/foot.php

http://www.wotsat.com/footprints.html <---global footprints

http://www.kusat.com/go.php?path=/2way/g11.php <---Galaxy 11 Ku band

http://www.kusat.com/go.php?path=/install/foot-display.php?nickname=g11 <----additional G11 info (true footprint

http://www.kusat.com/go.php?path=/install/foot-display.php?nickname=g4r <----G4R footprint (different views by magnetic flux)

http://www.groundcontrol.com/coverage_001.htm <----The former two PLUS Sat-Mex5 (from Ground Control) they build their systems 'on top' of DWay gear

http://members.tripod.com/The_Uplinker/tipofthe.html <---you wil LOVE this page!  (TOP SECRET)!  lol....

You can use www.google.com and literally find the footprint of any satellite (except for military of course).  I've got all the footprint charts with #'s that are sent each month by fax so that I can stay on top of things.  This is a courtesy service that DirecWay allows me to have because in essence I am "their man in the field" ...but I DO NOT WORK FOR NOR REPRESENT them.  I just try to keep the ppl they are putting the screws to running as best as possible.  heheh...  Something to do in my retirement.

Things are always in a state of deterioration at any of the NOCs (Maryland, Texas, Seattle...etc).  They don't get any better info than I do about whatz going on, so I depend heavily on my "insider" who works at the NOC in Maryland (level III engineer).  He keeps me posted because I cut them alot of slack when it comes to acting as a Tech Support agent.

You are using the "hottest" (and newest!) satellite up there right now, and your speeds are showing it.  There will be fluxes from time to time until they get the bird tamed down, but you should always stay up around (at least) 1000 ...anything higher than that is gravy.  Whenever they raise the FAP limits they'll also raise the Download speeds to match it.  After all, why FLY when all it will do is get you FAP'ed in 5 minutes?  lol

Hey!  Hope this helps a bit. 

Cheers!

"The Rev"

The router shouldn't affect your speeds UNLESS:

1: You don't have the latest firmware

2.  It is misconfigured

3.  You are using ICS and a router at the same time (assuming you are using a DW6000 on that one there)  Doesn't matter with the 4000s.

4,  One of the wires on that danged router is 'bad' ..and needs to be replaced.

I would check the wires first (swap them out one by one).  90% of trouble like this is caused by a silly bad wire!

Let me know please ...if that doesn't fix it we'll get deeper into it.  :)

"The Rev"

I've been through the entire database at DirecWay four times, and there isn't a single entry about the DW6000 causing "issues" when used with a router of any type.  So let's take this one step at a time.

It sounds like "Device Contention" could be your problem.  That's when two hardware parts are fighting to do the same job, or want the same IRQ, etc.  Are you SURE that your Router is set up to be the DHCP Server and that you don't have ICS running?  (Remember that with the 6000 EVERYBODY plugged in is a Client ...so ICS should not exist on any of the machines.  That is one possibility.

You could have a faulty modem in the DHCP area, but there is absolutely no way to test for that ...even from NOC.  (so let's hope that isn't the problem).

If you have a static IP, then you most certainly want to run the router for the sake of having the hardwire firewall if nothing else. DirecWay Broadband is a BIG target for the hackers because so many users with Static IPs are "easy hits" as they do not realise they are sitting ducks, and so their speeds GET CUT IN HALF ....could this be happening to you sir?  (I do not know your level of expertise, so please do not be offended ...I'm just approaching this from a "mindless" viewpoint to make sure nothing is missed)!  lol...

I would go through that Router configuration with a finetooth comb.  And, if you have been using the DW6000 to hand out your DHCP #'s, I would cut off the power to it for at least a full five minutes ...it may be insisting that it is going to be the DHCP Server ....that is a common 'glitch' to watch out for.

So.  Power down the DW6000 for at least five minutes.  While it is sitting there losing it's mind go through your Router settings to ensure that IT is your DHCP Server, double check to make sure that ICS isn't somehow turned on in your network setting (it happens!).  Then turn off everything.

Power up the modem until you have everything except the LAN light

Then power up the Router until it has stablised

The fire up your PC and see if cured the problem.  (Also ...make sure your system cache is cleaned out before running a new speed test).

I'll be right here when you get through.  Fair enough?  I'll do some more researching in the interim too.  (Strange one here)!

Para Vida!

"The Rev"

i know nothing about the dw6k, but i will say this much. both the modem and the router should be dhcp's, since usually the following takes place:

the modem connects to the provider, and receives an ip via dhcp.

it then assigns an ip, usually in the public 192.168.x.x range to the device connected to it, no matter if its a comp, a router or whatever else.

the router is connected to the modem via a special port, one it /knows/ is the wide area network connection.

the router then assigns addresses, again in the 192.168.x.x range to the devices connected to it. via its other ports. these comps or internet enabled refrigerators or whatever take this address for their own use, list the router as a gateway to the WAN and configure themselves appropriately. at least they should.

to the outside world, your network looks like it has only the one device, the router connected to the modem. when any of the comps you are hooking up want to get data from the web, they send the request via the router, which transposes the request onto the ip assigned to it by the modem. once the replies to these requests come in, they are rerouted in your network to the appropriate comp.

this is generally termed as NAT, network address translation since the router is an intermediary changing the ips of the involved packets.

so if your modem assigns an ip to a single comp connected to it, it should do the same for a router hooked up to it.

that's the way that part of the net should look.

If you have a static IP, then you most certainly want to run the router for the sake of having the hardwire firewall if nothing else. DirecWay Broadband is a BIG target for the hackers because so many users with Static IPs are "easy hits" as they do not realise they are sitting ducks, and so their speeds GET CUT IN HALF ....could this be happening to you sir?  (I do not know your level of expertise, so please do not be offended ...I'm just approaching this from a "mindless" viewpoint to make sure nothing is missed)!  lol..

No i do not have a Static IP but i use to run the router in STATIC IP mode, and no im not a newbie at computer even know im just 14 ;) ..

I would go through that Router configuration with a finetooth comb.  And, if you have been using the DW6000 to hand out your DHCP #'s, I would cut off the power to it for at least a full five minutes ...it may be insisting that it is going to be the DHCP Server ....that is a common 'glitch' to watch out for.

Tried that, dident help.

Power up the modem until you have everything except the LAN light

Then power up the Router until it has stablised

The fire up your PC and see if cured the problem.  (Also ...make sure your system cache is cleaned out before running a new speed test).

i woud run test's for ya but DW at this moment is going slower than hell.

ill get back to you with speed test when this slowness with dw clears up.

Okay, the next two things to try is have someone bring in their laptop to see if that cures the problem, and, if possible, borrow a Router to see if yours has an "issue" of some strange kind.  Routers just DO NOT affect your speed unless they are misconfigured, or unless it is trying to hand out DHCP #'s and your 6000 is ALSO trying to hand out DCHP #s.

If ICS isn't running on your PC, and you KNOW that all the wires are that are going from your modem to your router ...then it HAS to be the router that has some sort of problem.

I am sorry, but there just isn't anything else that could be cutting your speed in half as soon as you plug in that router ....except the router!  Wow!  This is a strange one and I can't find ANYTHING that remotely comes close to it.  So, try a laptop or different computer with that router to see if the same thing happens.  Let's find out what part is "bad" ...then fixing it will be easy.  RIght now we are stuck, stuck stuck! 

"The Rev"

well, i'm gonna lean on that router again. if the router has a jack marked specially for modems and the like, you will want to plug the modem in there. what usually happens in that case is the following. when both power up, the router gets an ip for it's wan side from the modem, and then starts distributing the ip's for it's lan side. these two /halves/ are connected only by the nat, so the router in the dw6000 shouldn't be able to see the comps behind the router/firewall (and isn't that the whole idea) anyhow, so it shouldn't try to give them ip's as well. likewise the comps, they only see the router as a gateway. they can of course ping et al the modem, but the modem sees all this as coming from the router.

I see your point, but from your description of this manner of router, I am half-minded to say that it just may be incompatible with a SELF HOSTED MODEM ....see what I mean?  Sounds to me like that router isn't designed for this newer breed of modem that has it's own DHCP "factory."  Simple!

Make sense?

"The Rev"

• 1 month later...

I just got a 290/35 at 5:44 PM CST. DW6000 on the commercial channel?? of SatMex. My service sucks and I'm not going to call the DA's again. Someday a wireline company will get broadband into East Texas and Hughes can shove this DW6000 where the sun don't shine. MTU's are 1430 and all that other trash has been checked, checked and re-checked.

Hey me too...... :lol:...and here's what I hit a little while ago..

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 194 Kbps about 0.2 Mbps (tested with 97 KB)

Download Speed is:: 24 KB/s

Test Time:: Mon Mar 7 18:55:48 EST 2005

Bottom Line:: 3X faster than 56K 1MB download in 42.67 sec

Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 22.72 % of your hosts average (direcpc.com)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-DBUX03YK8

But then again it is Monday....that's the worst one for me.... :confused1:

I'll go test again and put it in here....but it usuall doesn't improve for another 40-50 min...11:00-11:10 pm EST

Im on Sat Mex 5 and just hit this:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 936 Kbps about 0.9 Mbps (tested with 2992 KB)

Download Speed is:: 114 KB/s

Test Time:: Mon Mar 7 23:48:47 EST 2005

Bottom Line:: 17X faster than 56K 1MB download in 8.98 sec

Diagnosis: Looks Great : 9.73 % faster than the average for host (direcpc.com)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-TPG0V4MAQ

Its been about the same all evening  :D