Anyone here using Broadband over Power Lines? How fast is your upload /download?

thegeek

Just want to know how many here are using Broaband over Power Lines as their broadband web access and how fast is their upload and download speed.

I read lots of updates here: http://broadbandoverpowerlines.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the reply in advance !!!

That technology is still getting is legs under it.. 

I was able to find this..

Duke began its trial with 500 homes and plans to launch a commercial service to 10,000 to 15,000 homes by the end of this year, said Gerardi. The company, which will rent access to its network to ISPs such as EarthLink, said it will be able to handle high-speed data services at 512kbps to 5mbps, along with voice over IP services. The cost of the service will likely be about $30 a month.

Rest of article: http://news.com.com/Broadbands+power-line+push/2100-1034_3-5780316.html

I doubt that it will be all that fast until another generation of modems comes along..  The great thing is that the infrastructure is already in place for the network..

As far as speeds go..

http://www.current.net/ServiceAndPricing/Residential/Broadband/PricingAndBenefits/

Earthlink is looking into this technology pretty heavily.. so I wouldn't be supprised if you would see Cable/DSL like speeds at some point..

I'm With him Sounds kinda stupid down the line,,, but if they came up with a way to modulate and remove the line noise that unsheilded wiring would create,,, Hell I'm all for it if it comes my way!!!!!

interesting, maybe.

but you can't beat the laws of physics. and physics says: run a signal like that over a single unshielded conductor at those power levels and you end up with one mother of a transmitter that blankets anything in its freq spectrum. and that is /not/ a good thing.

you can't decrease or even eliminate the noise that such a system creates. the simple fact that the lines used to carry the signal would be completely unshielded, unpaired and never intended for such a use would mean that the high frequency signal gets transmitted like from a radio antenna.

this does not even include the problems that can be caused to equipment like washers, dishwashers and other appliances that would not like all the high freq noise coming in with their AC.

I'm With him Sounds kinda stupid down the line,,, but if they came up with a way to modulate and remove the line noise that unsheilded wiring would create,,, Hell I'm all for it if it comes my way!!!!!

i can't get dsl,fios, or cable internet if bpl becomes avail Here ill Sign Up.

Speedy Powerline Technology from DS2 Enables High-Quality HD Video and Audio Streaming in the Digital Home

and disables any kind of radio transmission in the surrounding area. :lol:

keep in mind that turning your entore homes electrical system into a huge antenna can violate fcc rules pertaining to the owning and operating of transmitters in certain frequency blocks. also keep in mind that letting electrical appliances connect to the mistreated wiring with its high frequency noise in addition to the existing 60 Hz cycle can cause malfunctions or even damage in their control circuitry.

Electrical wiring is to be used for just that. in no case is it prudent to run any kind of data signal short of the very low bandwidth meter reading applications the power companies use.