TESTMY.net Radio!!

Nos7667

Are you intrested!?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Are you intrested!?

• Yes, Make the Radio
    • No, I hate music!

I recentaly purchased a shoutcast server and was wondering if the people at testmy.net would be intrested in me hosting a radio station for you to listen to when you browse

I will offer song requests and such things. I could even let you have small clips sent by you to me played on the station.  :haha::D

That is correct. The testmy.net name and illegal activities together is a no-go. If you want to advertise for testmy.net, do it like waterRTBH: have your own name for the radio channel and put up testmy.net advertisements occasionally.

Is streaming music even legal if you don't own the rights?

:whaa:

its not that you dont own the rights, the FCC says that when you broadcast music wether its over the air waves, or streaming on the internet you have to have a license unless its only for personal use. and the fines for not have a license are petty heavy.

For everyone that would like to know here are the rules for legal broadcasting:

1. If you have a shoutcast server, and you broadcast a stream for anyone, you MUST have a 100% legal music collection (you must be able to prove this). You may NOT download music off non approved sales sites, or non-artists sites.

2. Be legally licensed through: ASCAP, BMI, SESAC as well as soundexchange (which is a branch of the RIAA). That covers the rights to publicly preform the notes and lyrics as well as to redistribute the audio recording of those said notes and lyrics. (cost is ~bare minimum~ 3K per year - that broadcast would be roughly up until you had 40 listeners at one time 24/7). When you get more, you pay more (per song, per listener, per instance). If you make money off the site, you must pay more fees for the music industry and for tax purposes.

3. This entitles paying for EACH song that you play per listener/ per song / per instance of play.

4. No more than three songs by the same artist in a row, no more than 4 songs by the same artist in a four hour period.

5. You cannot do more than two songs in a row from the same album and no more than three in a three hour period.

6. Your station must not be interactive (the DMCA defines interactive as providing information ahead of time about when a song or artist will be played or by playing a requested song within 60 minutes of the request "jukebox on demand").

7. Your stream may only be launched through the site it is licensed for. You cannot get listeners off public station lists unless they go to your site first. (the shoutcast directory is one example which violates this rule if you are listed).

There is a ton more information that I would be happy to reference anyone to that is seriously interested in setting up a station that is legal for test my net. I personally don't read through the buckets of rules on i-net broadcasting, my husband does, and he tells me the rules that the rest of us must play by.

My station is 100% legal, down to the last asterisk in the online definitions and agreement.

But I can witness to it not being quite as easy as it seems.

:) You know how to get me, if you have questions. :)

Oh and an FM station doesn't have nearly the same rules btw.

Oh, I almost forgot all the reporting requirements heeeeeere we go!

For every song that is played on your station, you're required to report the artist who played the song, the song title, the album the song came from, the year of the song's publication, the label that published the song, the UPC code off the CD (no I'm not S#!tting you , you can look it up), the exact time the track was played, the duration of the song, the number of listeners that heard the track and a unique identifer of each listener (usually in the form of an IP address).

We having fun yet? :haha:

It does some of it, such as the time, duration, listeners and IP, however I (personally) must keep all other information current.

Our server records it as well, and my husband merely submit it to the agencies involved, but I use a DJ program for me, my husband, and one other DJ (the program does a few extra things for us to give us more protections), the other DJ's (who DJ remotely) use a custom built program that my husband coded and does all this for us, and they must store their music on our server, and we verify it to be legal.

Remember, at the end of the day, any law broken is punishable on me and my husband by law if prosecuted. That could ruin us financially, so we insure that we are clean. AND our DJ's have an extensive interview/training process for both understanding how to DJ, the legalities of it, and to insure they care enough to help out troubled kids / people so that we don't get a black name.

We had issues a while back that caused us to split with 5 dj's. It took a lot of work to get back where we are now, but the work is worth it.

:)

I'm sorry to have to bust your bubble, and no it doesn't mean all that.

LIVE365 is a provider, but it isn't shoutcast. the rules are different there, they provide a few more services, but they are still pricey if you're "serious".

There are a few issues, If you get hosted service, no, it's NOT cheap it still doesn't cover everything. It doesn't involve ad's but is more expensive than any other options.

It would be "crappy".

They require ads to be able to be placed randomly, throughout your stream (sometimes possibly in the middle of a song).

It's nearly impossible to talk on air.

We looked into it, and couldn't use it. For a hobbyist it might be ok, that's what it's designed for, but it won't sound professional.

If it sounds too good to be true???

LOL

oh my is storming here, need to run out and climb the i-net tower to maintain a connection! *falls over laughing*

from what i saw for live365 the good thing is that the premium listeners don't get ads. but then you're probably right. having ads at the end of a song for nonmembers and then no ads for members would mean that the announcements for songs etc. would have to be recorded and placed on the playlist. although i think there are stations with only high bandwidth and no ads that are only for premium listeners. but then catching any number of listeners out of the members sounds difficult and linking to the station would be next to impossible from a webpage...

a flight of fancy took to the wing and was promptly sucked into the engine of a 747...

It is a hard hobby, we get listeners that have no idea of what the legalities mean and try to push or goad us in the wrong direction. I always try to stay nice to them, but I -have- lost my temper a time or two (or seventy) ;)

Yeh i think my local radio station has to b careful then sometimes tey do 1 sole hour to a certain artist

likea week ago they did panic at the disco and he played the ame song

i write sins not tradagies

like 15 imes back to back

and we had a micheal jackson night to when he was getting sue

which ended up costing us ike 2 weekswithout the radio station

Yeh i think my local radio station has to b careful then sometimes tey do 1 sole hour to a certain artist

likea week ago they did panic at the disco and he played the ame song

i write sins not tradagies

like 15 imes back to back

and we had a micheal jackson night to when he was getting sue

which ended up costing us ike 2 weekswithout the radio station

If it's an FM station, they don't have the same rules appliedto them, they have much more freedom in what they can play. I however have much more freedom in what I can say...

I'd call it a wash

Edit: Dark, could you please try using spellcheck, your posts are extremely difficult to read. Thx.