new router?

rkzx2

i have cox. basic package (up to 5 meg d/l 2 meg u/l) i just upgraded to the 15 d/l 5 u/l. it seems ok connected directly to the modem. but using my router (netgear wgr614 v6) it seems to be slowing me down. can you guys recommend a router that can keep up to this new speed package?

you might want to try tweaking your connection first before you decide to drop money on a new router..  If you tweaked before then you are going to need to apply new setting anyways..

If you do decided to get a new router.. For about $50 you can get the WRT54GL which is part of the famous WRT54G line from Linksys..

Dlink also offers the gaming router DGL-4300.. which is going to be the faster consumer level router.. that is going to be about $120..

rkzx2 like swimmer said try tweaking your connection because there is no reason why your netgear should be slowing down your internet unless it had a 10mbps WAN. but since your router doesnt have a 10mbps wan you dont have to worry about that so try tweaking.

You all do know some Routers Block some ports by default,, and restrict some upload and download speed on some ports/ethernet... why? I have no clue whatsover!!!!!! But you should fool around in your routers Settings to see anything iffy... Not everything is always plug and play....

You all do know some Routers Block some ports by default,, and restrict some upload and download speed on some ports/ethernet... why? I have no clue whatsover!!!!!! But you should fool around in your routers Settings to see anything iffy... Not everything is always plug and play....

you sure about this

i know u dont know why? but does any one else can think of an idea why a manufacturere would do this?

LIKE I SAID.. some companys do this... Don't know why... I had a router where it took my incoming connection and split the bandwidth between the 4 computers equally... I thought most routers were "switches" and allowed you to use the full bandwidth of the connection if available, like I said further investigation of my settings I saw a "Limit Bandwidth to available computers" BUTTON,,,, in my router settings...clicked and changed it.... works fine now.... We have noticed lots of people in these forums who have speed issues with routers.. Like I said Not all of them are "Plug & Play"

Might need some tinkering around to get it to work right... thats all