Transmission Poll

resopalrabotnick

In your opinion, what offers higher performance to you as a driver. Auto or manual. Performance, not 'kewlness'.  

17 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion, what offers higher performance to you as a driver. Auto or manual. Performance, not 'kewlness'.

• Automatic
    • Manual

heh resopalrabotnick: right on the deisel I don't have a deisel vehicle but the are good.Read about someone transplanting a chrysler nissan industrial 4 cyl deisel into a Pinto( the car not the horse ;)) hooked to a 5-speed manual .it said the Pinto got 75mpg.My 4 cyl gas doesn't even come close to this mpg.The only drawback to the deisel is the smell up above it in a semi you don't notice it much in a car you can.

heh bigw: the clutch definately costs more to replace than a fluid change in an automatic.A better comparison would be cost of clutch r&r to torque converter r&r.

Because it cost even less to change the gear oil in a manual than the filter & fluid in an automatic.

Cholla

get your paws on a vw or other euro diesel. all you notice is slightly rougher noise, but no smel etc. they have come a long way. and even a jetta tdi will get 40mpg easy, and that's with good performance that's as much as the new hybrids do, without the fancy schmancy electric system in em.

get your paws on a vw or other euro diesel. all you notice is slightly rougher noise, but no smel etc. they have come a long way. and even a jetta tdi will get 40mpg easy, and that's with good performance that's as much as the new hybrids do, without the fancy schmancy electric system in em.

Dude, diesels WAY... WAY... WAY... out perform hybrids in fuel efficiency.  There are diesels that can pull down almost 80 mpg.  Now the Toyota Prius is rated at 60 mpg, but in real world tests it has show 35-40 tops...

But who cares, screw being efficient... I can't drive 55!

Heh CA3LE & resopalrabotnick: I know about the newer deisels just thought the Pinto conversion this book on pinto had was good.specially since it was done about 1975 when gas was much cheaper.As for hybrids they've come a long way but still have a long way to go.Right now there about like having a Commadore 128 pc a little better than a Commedor 64 but I don't think I want to try to get on the web with either one if that was even possible.Feel the same way about hybrid cars.The real advance in them will be when they develope a light weight weight weight super battery that can be charged quickly & have a 400 mile range at 70mph.then they can just make the car electric all the way.I look for the petroleum industry to keep this type of battery from being developed or we would have one already. :idea: Cholla

what those people designing hybrids have to do is get their heads unplugged from their fourth point of contact. it seems to me they are spring loaded in the dumb position, designing better and better electric systems and then mating the thing to a gasoline engine. so far the only one planning a diesel electric hybrid is mercedes to my knowledge. btw, mercedes is also going to run a small production run of the grand cherokee with one of mercedes' diesels. that should perform nicely, but not as well as the touareg diesel. 5l V10 tdi, 330 horse and plenty more torque than a viper. mwahahaha.