Speed problems with 8mb ADSL max

ms526

Hi,

A few weeks ago I changed ISP from a 1mb Wanadoo connection to an 8MB download /448k upload line with a static IP.

However, the speed has been apalling. At times, It has been as low as 30kb/s download speeds. On average, I get around 500-700kb/s, and at best about 800kb/s. A lot of the time though it is very slow.

I sync at the full 8128k down/448k up speeds and don't have any problems with attenuation, My figures:

attenuation downstream: 27db

noise margin downstream: 11db (sometimes 12)

I've contacted my ISP about this, and they asked me to run some speed tests and tell them the results, which I did, and they then told me that this had been reported to their diagnostics team and that they'd get back to us when they'd heard back. This was a few weeks ago now, and although it's a bit better than before, it's still way too slow.

I've tried tweaking the settings in windows, which did help things a bit, but it's still too slow. I would be grateful if anyone could suggest something I could do to sort this or if anyone else has had the same problem. It really is soul destroying to see a speed test result of 80kb/s.

Welcome to the forum ms526.

Are you using a router?, and have you done spyware/adware/virus scans on your computer? And what have you used to tweak your connection?

Thanks for the reply. I haven't scanned my PC for anything like that but I'm pretty sure I don't have any, as I can usually recognise dodgy processes in task manager. Also, I've tried it on other, freshly installed Windows XP Pro machines and the speed is the same.

As for the first question, I'm using a Zyxel Prestige 660H router. I've tried many of the guides from this site, including tweakng the TCP settings, and also I used a guide from another site involving limiting the reservable bandwidth for the QoS packet scheduler in the policy editor, which worked particularly well.

I'm quite sure my line is not at fault because when I was on 1mb I used to get 120kb/s + which isn't bad for 1mb.

I'm quite sure my line is not at fault because when I was on 1mb I used to get 120kb/s + which isn't bad for 1mb.

your line is probally to blame here. just because you were good on 1mbps doesnt mean you will be good on 8mbps. since DSL has a distance factor. This may be coming in to play here you may be too far to get a relyable 8mbps. Like resopalrabotnick said they did not try to blam it on you, and since they said they would have to report it to a diagnostics team i think they know what the problem is and they are going to try and fix it probally by sending out a tech to the local RT and changing a few settings, this can take a while for that to happen, but i would be calling every day and checking up on that.

your line is probally to blame here. just because you were good on 1Mbps doesnt mean you will be good on 8Mbps. since DSL has a distance factor. This may be coming in to play here you may be too far to get a relyable 8Mbps. Like resopalrabotnick said they did not try to blam it on you, and since they said they would have to report it to a diagnostics team i think they know what the problem is and they are going to try and fix it probally by sending out a tech to the local RT and changing a few settings, this can take a while for that to happen, but i would be calling every day and checking up on that.

It's a possibility, although I don't think I'm that far from the exchange, I've been told I'm about 800 meters away (is that far?). It may be poor cabling, as the short cable of section from the BT box to the master socket is pretty ancient looking.

It's a possibility, although I don't think I'm that far from the exchange, I've been told I'm about 800 meters away (is that far?). It may be poor cabling, as the short cable of section from the BT box to the master socket is pretty ancient looking.

800 meters is not that far, but you never go by what the tell you because my ISP tells me that im 14000+ feet from the clostest RT, but i can see one from why window. Poor  cabiling will do it though, if the copper going to your house is bad then it could be causing the problem.

hi ms526

nice to see some one from the UK

welcome to the forum

800 meters is not bad at all

so you are in the new MAX product lucky you i haven't been upgraded yet

how long have you had the service for?

as far as i am aware they ask you to let Ur modem be turned on for the 1st 1 or 2 days when u get the line so they do some average calculations and set your sync speed in ur line

u are saying your synch speed is maximum which is good and you also saying you have seen downloads of 800kb/s

my question are this:

did you see a spyke to 800kb/s or you see a constant download of 800kb/s ?

do you see get slower speed from the same place where u once had 800kb/s ?

is this at any particular time of the day ?

what isp are you with, a few ISP in the UK are now doing traffic shaping like plus net and a few others

can u post some speed tests here for us to see ?

Hi, Well to answer some of your questions:

1. Yes, I've had the 8mb ADSL Max since about April/ May this year. To be honest, I envy people with a nice, stable 2mb DSL. The only reason I wouldn't go back is because the better upload speed on DSL Max (448k vs. 256k) as I run a webserver.

2. I've heard this, but it didn't seem to happen with me. Since the day it was upgraded I have synced at a steady 8128/448 line rate and it's never changed.

3. The 800kB/s download speed I mentioned I only saw once. It started off at 1mb/s and quickly degraded to a steady 810kB/s. This was in the middle of the night, from a UK server (ftp.mirror.ac.uk).

The speed varies enormously. One minute I can be seeing 4.5mb - 6mb, then  1/2 hour later it's down to well below 1mb. The upload seems to stay pretty constant though.

4. The ISP I'm with is http://swiftinter.net.

I've called BT about it and they claimed to do a line test and said it was ok and to contact our ISP, which we already had done. We contacted the ISP again and today they got back to us asking us to reboot our router and perform more speed tests and send them the results. We did this, and it seemed to have improved a bit but now it's just as bad as before.

Personally, I don't think this is a line problem or the fault of my ISP. I think that this is a problem of lack of capacity at the BT exchange at peak times, and BT aren't going to do anything about it.

EDIT: Some speed screenshots from my best records (rare):

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/6093/speed4ab.png

http://img310.imageshack.us/img310/7660/speed27gg.png