Should I get a Mac or PC next?

Cobra

Macs suck. It doesnt matter if they can run XP, the point is that they have their own OS but still people prefer XP so whats the point of getting a MAC? just get a PC and customize it to your liking.

again:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NonfI1Qhg4I&search=mac%20hate

people actually perfer OSX over XP because its far better. and if you could run OSX on a PC there would be no windows. and there would be many less viruses because the OS is actually written correctly and not coped and pasted togeather from 10 older versions.

i agree on osx being a good substitute for windows. or rather an alternative. far better than any linux can ever hope to be. however xp is preferable for some things, just as osx is preferable for some things.

as far as the security question goes, the security of an os depends on how the user configures it. i can leave the oh so safe linux wide open to the world and configure xp to be tight as a drum. in osx there have been some recent discoveries of quite hefty security flaws. the reasdon they have not been exploited to as great an extent as MS security flaws is that it is not cool to damage anything but microsoft products and because even an easy exploit on osx still leaves the problem of finding one of them online.

and if your base for a decision on operating systems is a comedy sketch, that is pretty sad.

Macs are dominant in the schools pc's are dominant in the business world.  Are you going to stay in school all your life or get a real job. Microsoft rules the business world dont you forget it.

And linux and unix rocks the server world which is the backbone of the internet and the buissness world

so there

resopalrabotnick

there are good linux kernal out there u just have to b willing to put some tome and effrort into it a bit

if u just look at it and choose like 90% of the ppl out there do on eye candy and how it looks u will really miss out

but if eye candy is your thing try alinux

there is a linux for every occation all ready prebuilt to met your needs if your willing to look 4 it

or u can all ways built your own mix of programs and prefernces and save it as a kernal

now can u do that whit windows ???? no

also u cant forget live cds they rock

live cds can be useful.

the main turnoff about linux is the care you need to take with hardware configs. i have had way too many devices inoperational because there wasn't a driver for them. and i'm sure it's not just me, look at the device compatibility lists publihed by distro packagers.

if i go buy something i like checking the box, seeing winxp on it and knowing it has a working driver. not reading 27 reviews and tests to find a modem, wireless card or whatever that will work.

n ot to mention that in some cases there is a driver but you need to recompile your kernel manually to get it to work. windoze does all that for you if you just click ok enough.

are there problems in wondows linux solves? probably. definitely even. but windows has the big advantage that it will usually work and be good enough, even if it does need some help. with linux complicated configuration work is the norm, not the exception.

and linux on a server, fine, but linux as a desktop system for a user that can barely find his/her way around windows? hell no. the resistance you meet with those people is incredible. they want windows and ms office, that is what they get.

the main turnoff about linux is the care you need to take with hardware configs. i have had way too many devices inoperational because there wasn't a driver for them. and i'm sure it's not just me, look at the device compatibility lists publihed by distro packagers.

care for hardware configs. i haven't had any device that i was unable to get a driver for except a TV turner but that was because most TV turners dont work with Linux. if anything Linux is the easiest OS for hardware configs especially old hardware.

I would agree with the comments above.. unless you have hardware that is atleast 2 years old, not including wifi, and if the system isnt constantly changing.. linux can be a pain to keep up to date.. 

I am still very much in the learning mode with my linux set up.. but overall the experience has been a good one.. I am not installing anything on new hardware.. but still..  less than an hour to have an entire system formatted and running is great!

Ahh yes.. live cds.. there are some really good ones out there.. auditor is one of my favs..

then why all these major companies in the us and world (one of which i work for )are run by pc's and not macs.  Are they all idiots in IT.

the main reason is because the employees know windows and are comfortable with it. if you switch them to a mac your going to have a lot of problems because none of the employees will know what to do and they will be asking questions insted of working.

the main reason is because the employees know windows and are comfortable with it. if you switch them to a mac your going to have a lot of problems because none of the employees will know what to do and they will be asking questions instead of working.

Pretty much sums it up. It is a PC world. Mac is a brand name, and pc is a type of many name brands. Which will be more familiar to maintain and get parts for.

then why all these major companies in the us and world (one of which i work for )are run by pc's and not macs.  Are they all idiots in IT.

i am not going to answer that question because in some companies i tyhink you are not far off the mark.

but a pc with an office suite can be had for less than a mac, windows is known to the user etc.

a mac has its place in specialty apps or as a sleek home machine. or if the IT deciders think the added cost per machine and the added training effort for the users are worth the cost.

but since pennies count a 600 dollar dell box with an office will beat out a mac most days of the week.

in most cases the toyota echo will et you there, but a mercedes is just so much nicer...