Comcast is upgrading us!!

As many of you know, Comcast has been planning upgrades for their customers. The roll-out is scheduled to start in Jan. 2005, and it has. Here is a breakdown of what the new speeds will be (among other things).

Q: What will the new advertised speeds be?

A: The base package (silver) will be 4000/384. The $10 add on tier (gold) will be 5000/768.

Q: What will the new caps be?

A: The caps will be 4300/384 and 5300/768 for silver and gold, respectively.

Q: Will there be a price increase for HSI?

A: Not at this time.

Q: Will all Comcast subscribers get the upgrade?

A: Yes, everyone will get it. Some will get it sooner then others based on a roll-out schedule.

Q: When can I expect the upgrade?

A: The upgrades will begin in early 2005. There are a few test areas that already have the upgrade.

Q: What are the test areas?

A: Knoxville TN, Naples, FL and Washington D.C areas.

Q: Can I call Comcast to find out when I will be upgraded?

A: No, the reps do not have or are not allowed to release the upgrade schedule at this time. (I'm getting ready to call anyway)

Q: Will I have to purchase/lease a new modem?

A: No, this speed upgrade will not require a new modem.

Q: Does Comcast have to upgrade my area to QAM 256 before the speed upgrades.

A: No, but it would be beneficial to Comcast to do so.

Q: Will the new speed upgrade be automatic or will I have to reboot my modem?

A: In most cases you will need to reboot your modem.

Q: Are there any other new speed tiers?

A: Yes, Comcast has added a 6/1.5 tier for "true" business customers.

Q: What happened to Pro?

A: The Pro package is slowly being phased out in all areas. Current Pro customers should get the upgrade, but they would save a lot of money by switching to the gold tier.

There have been several reports from people that have the new speeds already. Comcast plans to be finished between Q1 - Q2.

I wonder if anyone can get the business account..

So far I've heard:

It is a business tier, part of what is going to be referred to as the "Hospitality" tier. I'm not sure if it's going to be available to any body other then hospitality customers at this time. There are two tiers (Hospitality One and Hospitality High Speed).

-by Hospitality i'm referring to places such as hotels, lodges, etc.

Please post any information you have about this. Everyone that contacts tech support won't get positive answers, but those that do, please share.

In another words

Comcast next week is expected to announce plans to raise its broadband Internet speeds for all customers by at least a third later this year, according to sources familiar with the plans.

The nation's largest cable company and broadband provider will raise its current speed of up to 3mbps (megabits per second) downstream and 256kbps (kilobits per second) upstream to 4mbps and 384kbps, respectively, at no additional cost. Comcast will also offer its more expensive 4mbps customers a 50 percent increase to 6mbps downstream and 768kbps upstream, the sources said.

which is the best deal for me? i mean fastest?

High-Speed Internet

With Comcast High-Speed Internet you get up to 7 e-mail accounts, Web space to create a home page or store files online and Comcast.net connects you to whatever suits your interest. Plus you can check e-mail from any computer! It's fast and it's cable-powered so there's no dialing up and no waiting.

High-Speed Internet Monthly Price

Current Comcast Customers Special! $1.00

High-Speed Internet for Non-Comcast Cable Customers $56.95

High-Speed Internet for Current Comcast Cable Customers $42.95

Special Offer for Current Comcast Customers Free

Special Offer for Non-Comcast Cable Customers Free

which is the best deal for me? i mean fastest?

High-Speed Internet

With Comcast High-Speed Internet you get up to 7 e-mail accounts, Web space to create a home page or store files online and Comcast.net connects you to whatever suits your interest. Plus you can check e-mail from any computer! It's fast and it's cable-powered so there's no dialing up and no waiting.

High-Speed Internet Monthly Price

Current Comcast Customers Special! $1.00

High-Speed Internet for Non-Comcast Cable Customers $56.95

High-Speed Internet for Current Comcast Cable Customers $42.95

Special Offer for Current Comcast Customers Free

Special Offer for Non-Comcast Cable Customers Free

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by fastest. Anyway, what they mean is, if you sucscribe to Comcast TV AND internet  you get a $15.00 multi product discount. The speed is the same if you have cable tv or not.

from:  http://forums.comcast.net/thread.jspa?threadID=31805&start=15&tstart=0

"Michael Re: Upgrade Is Planned Jan 16, 2005 1:54 PM

Reply   Report Abuse

"So, no "official" word on upgrades?"

The official word is that we have started rolling out the upgrades and hope to have the majority of areas completed by the end of Q1 2005. I have not seen any roll out schedules for specific areas."

"Michael Re: Upgrade Is Planned Jan 16, 2005 1:55 PM

Reply   Report Abuse

"Unfortunately, the 6Mbps speed is misreported in this article. The Speed Tier will be 5Mbps down / 768 kbps up."

"You sure about that?"

Yes."

Yeah, the thread you are referring too ("Upgrade Is Planned"), over at the Comcast help forums, I'm the starter of that thread. I just posted that information over there to enlighten Michael on the fact that the new speeds are officially 6000/768.

I have to go off of what Rene told me in the live chat we had, due to the fact that she pulled the information up right then and there. That's what's in the system.

Hey Ca3le, if the link ain't cool, please delete it. [move]([glow=green,2,300]Nothin' can fuck with tesymy.net anyway [/glow] :D)[/move]

For those of you who haven't seen the list, here it is.

This is according to Big_D over at Comcast speed upgrades thread - Part 5 (BroadbandReports.com)

Here is the list of cities/areas that are expected to be upgraded on January 26th. Please keep in mind that this list is subject to change at any time.

Baltimore

Albuquerque

Chesapeake Bay

Chesterfield

Dallas

Delmar

Pittsburgh (including Elyria and Tri-State)

Richmond

Boston

Connecticut

North New Jersey

South New Jersey

PA Metro and West

Detroit

Indianappolis

Kansas City

Fort Wayne

Flint

Augusta

Charleston

Chattanooga

Dallas (GA)

East Tennessee

Hattiesburg

Huntsville

Jacksonville

Lake County

Little Rock

Medridian

Miami

Mobile

Nashville

Paducah

Panama City

Savannah

Tallahassee

Tuscaloosa

Sarasota

Portland

As well as the existing trial markets:

Washington DC

Knoxville

Naples

If your City was not listed above then there is no scheduled release time available in your area. All upgrades are expected to be completed by March 31st.

<SNIP>

This is according to Big_D over at Comcast speed upgrades thread - Part 5 (BroadbandReports.com)

Here is the list of cities/areas that are expected to be upgraded on January 26th. Please keep in mind that this list is subject to change at any time.

Baltimore

Albuquerque

Chesapeake Bay

Chesterfield

Dallas

Delmar

Pittsburgh (including Elyria and Tri-State)

Richmond

Boston

Connecticut

North New Jersey

South New Jersey

PA Metro and West

Detroit

Indianappolis

Kansas City

Fort Wayne

Flint

Augusta

Charleston

Chattanooga

Dallas (GA)

East Tennessee

Hattiesburg

Huntsville

Jacksonville

Lake County

Little Rock

Medridian

Miami

Mobile

Nashville

Paducah

Panama City

Savannah

Tallahassee

Tuscaloosa

Sarasota

Portland

As well as the existing trial markets:

Washington DC

Knoxville

Naples

If your City was not listed above then there is no scheduled release time available in your area. All upgrades are expected to be completed by March 31st.

Cool, Boston is on there. I'm wondering though if it means the whole area since the state of Connecticuit is listed, but just "Boston" and not all of MA. 

I'll keep you posted.

Before you complain to Comcast about not getting your upgraded speed on time, read this first (from the Comcast Help Forums):

We do have dates, however, there are several valid reasons why we choose not to post them in advance. The biggest reason is that these dates tend to slip and this ultimately leads to a barrage of upset customers demanding to know what happened to their upgrades. It is always unfortunate when an employee chooses to share a confidential internal document that was not intended for the general public. In more cases than not, although the intention was a good one, the negative repercussions over-shadow the positives. If nothing else, look at how many people are hammering our Live Chat representatives, trying to get information that has already been confirmed dozens of times. This is certainly not to anyone's benefit.[/quote]

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

well im happy with the Upgrade back in January when i first heard abotu the Upgrade, i called Comcast and Upgraded to the Gold Package at first my speed was at 3.0 Megs Over the Coruse of 2 Monthes my Speed has Doubled which is sweet as hell, here r my results from Testmy.net.

Test Taken on Jan. 27th 2004

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 3909 Kbps about 3.9 Mbps (tested with 2992 KB)

Download Speed is:: 477 KB/s

Tested From:: http://www.testmy.net/

Bottom Line:: 70 times faster than 56K you can download 1MB in 2.15 second(s)

(Comcast.net)

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 5517 Kbps about 5.5 Mbps (tested with 12160 KB)

Download Speed is:: 673 KB/s

Tested From:: http://www.testmy.net/

Test Time:: Tue Mar 8 06:31:10 CST 2005

Bottom Line:: 99X faster than 56K 1MB download in 1.52 sec

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 76.6 % faster than the average for host (Comcast.net)