200 Mbps Broadband over Power Line HD networking gear- anyone using this ?..

thegeek

i wish all of you that want to try bpl luck. and i'm sure you never liked your cordless phones, cellphones, baby monitors, wireless networking, garage door opener remotes, remote key fobs, EMS radio, radio, TV all that much anyway.

the only thing BPL speeds up is your descent back into the stone age...

I hate cordless phones (the wife always has the battery run down anyway).

I don't use my cell phone at home anyway.

My kids are too old for a baby monitor anyway.

No wireless network.

I seriously it will interfere with my garage door opener, and my wife needs the exercise anyway.

The battery in my remote key fob is dead anyway.

What is EMS radio?

And I am not sure if it will mess my TV antenna very much anyway.

And what is wrong with the stone age anyway? Back when a woman listened!  :evil6:

tommie, ems radio: emergency medical services radio. along with sherriff, police, fire and whatever and whover else uses official radio freqs.

oh, wait, the bpl marketing dingbats say they have anti-interference-technology. wow! they have figured out how not to send a high freq signal over an unshielded carrier without turning it into an antenna? no. they just try to leave out all those parts of the freq spectrum that would bring the law down on 'em for jamming the hell out of air traffic control and police radios. the result? the already full frequency spectrum means that they have to 'skip' a lot of frequencies on their system. you might say "and?". well, all those freqs they can't use cut down their max speed....

as for the inhouse stuff: how is having a claimed 200 mbps connection in the houses power lines going to affect your internet connection speeds? mine didn't get faster when i changed my inhouse wireless from 11 to 54 mbps... maybe post a tweaking guide? should i replace my 100 mbps wired net with a gigabit net to achieve greater cable internet speeds?

This truly plug-and-play technology, if proven safe, has the blessings of federal regulators looking to bolster broadband competition, lower consumer prices and bridge the digital divide in rural areas.

Because virtually every building has a power plug, it "could simply blow the doors off the provision of broadband," Federal Communications Commission chairman Michael Powell said last month.

For competition's sake, "absolutely, we would applaud it," says Edmond Thomas, chief of the FCC's Office of Engineering and Technology.

"We're going to have an absolute stampede to move on this. This is a natural," said Alan Shark, president of the Power Line Communications Association, which includes Internet providers such as Earthlink as well as utility companies. "It'll change the way we do business on the Internet."

Digital power lines are believed to be able to carry data at roughly the same speeds as cable or DSL lines. And because electricity is more prevalent in homes than cable or even telephone lines, a vast new communications infrastructure could be born overnight -- notably in rural areas, where broadband access has lagged.

Still, there's no shortage of skepticism.

And in steps resopalrabotnic!

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,57605,00.html

Boy I can't wait. St.Louis first as always.

This truly plug-and-play technology, if proven safe, has the blessings of federal regulators looking to bolster broadband competition, lower consumer prices and bridge the digital divide in rural areas.

at least the fcc won't have to be on their toes too much to see what the effects on the radio spectrum are. the exploding spectrum analyzers should tip them off.