static IP n dynamic IP

karthic

hi

i want to know the difference between static Ip n a dynamic IP

i ve  a the former  one n while trying to cheat downloading/uploading sites(eg., rapidshare, megaupload) thro softwares, i was told dat i cannot do so coz i ve a static IP!!!!!

thats it wat makes the difference between the two??????????????

static IP never changes.. most of the time it is giving on buisness plans.. and when DSL first came out, for the most part, a static ip was issued..

Dynamic on the other hand changes on a schedule..  the ISPs do this for a few reasons... static IP can lead to users trying to host webservers on consumer grade connections, which in most cases violates TOS... also with an "always on" connection it can lead to other secuirty problems.. 

static IP never changes.. most of the time it is giving on buisness plans.. and when DSL first came out, for the most part, a static ip was issued..

Dynamic on the other hand changes on a schedule..  the ISPs do this for a few reasons... static IP can lead to users trying to host webservers on consumer grade connections, which in most cases violates TOS... also with an "always on" connection it can lead to other secuirty problems.. 

thatts good info thx.

static is not helpful these day for piracy leechers

A bad explanation. I have a static IP address because I specifically requested one, and may soon be expanding to having my own routed block of 8 static IPs.

I specifically object to your views on webservers. I have run a webserver highly successfully for the last 6 months, and it doesn't violate my ISPs terms because they allow it and do not block any ports like a lot of Nazi ISPs that just want to make more money by forcing customers to buy webhosting from them.

Your views are archaic, go learn some grammar too.

:roll:

Actually it sums it up good.  Yes, there are exceptions and special circumstances, but those don't apply to most people.

As far as webservers go, almost every consumer ISP here in the US doesn't allow webservers without a special plan.

And if you want to insult people, you can go elsewhere.  Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

A bad explanation. I have a static IP address because I specifically requested one, and may soon be expanding to having my own routed block of 8 static IPs.

I specifically object to your views on webservers. I have run a webserver highly successfully for the last 6 months, and it doesn't violate my ISPs terms because they allow it and do not block any ports like a lot of Nazi ISPs that just want to make more money by forcing customers to buy webhosting from them.

Your views are archaic, go learn some grammar too.

Hi ms526

take it easy, life is to short to get worked up on just a few comments from Swimmer

Swimmer doesn't run an ISP and what he was saying is what happens 90% of the time out there not what he would want for the world to be like maybe.

Most ISP's that sell business and residential packages dont want you to use ur residential package to host webserver or gaming servers stuff like that.

BTW ms526 are you hosting this webserver in your house connection

and just in case you wanna share a bit more with us, is your house connection connected to a commercial ISP or are you hoked up to a University Network?

:roll:

Actually it sums it up good.  Yes, there are exceptions and special circumstances, but those don't apply to most people.

As far as webservers go, almost every consumer ISP here in the US doesn't allow webservers without a special plan.

And if you want to insult people, you can go elsewhere.  Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

php our new user ms526 is not in the usa

but even here in great britain most ISP dont allow you to host webservers or any kind of server services like gamming servers or voip services in a residential connection.

Ok, I apologise for being a little short here, it's just I feel there is a tremendous amount of ignorance regarding DSL and web hosting and it irritates me.

I just realised I may have caused some confusion. My first reply was posted from my school's network who have a leased line to an academic network in the UK. My home connection is the 87.*.*.* address, while my school's is the 212.*.*.* one.

I guess my connection is considered "business", as I can also send e-mail from my SMTP server to pretty much all of the major e-mail providers without it being marked as SPAM or having to smarthost off of their mail servers like when I had a dynamic IP.

My bad.

so ms526

what is your Internet Package

what connection do u get ?

It's 8m/448k down/up

Would like to increase the upload for obvious reasons, but over here in the UK it's about the best you can get unless you want to pay a lot of money.

To give you an idea of what it's like, the next package upwards on my ISP gives 832k upstream and the same downstream as mine. This costs