T-3.00 Hours and counting for Discovery launch

dn0

i can't believe they are actually gonna light the fuse on that thing with all the concerns over the remaining foam insulation. i wonder how the crew feels about it?

from what i herd on TV the crew is fine with it. no matter what you do space travel is always going to be dangerous.

risky and dangerous, yes. but needlessly carefree along the lines of what nasa is perpetrating, no. i am surprised that it took until 2k3 to have one burn on reentry with all the foam bits that kept falling off the thing. and the fact that the engineers were surprised atthe force with whitch the foam hit the wing in tests is sad, sad, sad.

risky and dangerous, yes. but needlessly carefree along the lines of what nasa is perpetrating, no. i am surprised that it took until 2k3 to have one burn on reentry with all the foam bits that kept falling off the thing. and the fact that the engineers were surprised atthe force with whitch the foam hit the wing in tests is sad, sad, sad.

hell i would be surprised as well, physics always taught us that something that light can't hit with that much force.

hell i would be surprised as well, physics always taught us that something that light can't hit with that much force.

oh? funny. physics alwaysa taught me that lacking mass i need to increase velocity to get the needed force. hence the piece of low mass foam was given a high velocity to let it impact the wing with sufficient force to cause damage.

they said they want to go ahead with it but now they are concerned about the weather. (i just got back and re tuned into the live feed from the link.

they are checking everything but they are probly gonna hold at the T-9 minutes time.  :D hope they can launch without problems. especially the weather concern 

well....they are going to try again t'morrow... they said that they will not launch today.  :(

they will try tomorrow at 3:26pm eastern time ...for me thats 2:36 central time. hope they can get it tmorrow

Better to be safe.

It's got to be tough to suit up, get all psyched up and then be told to stand down.

I think they really love their jobs, and it is probably no big deal to them.

I will re-tune into this thread tomorrow - see you all there.

PS - I'm glad I stumbled on to the NASA TV link, it's neat to see it all live.

NASA also has a TV channel, I dont know if its on Comcast but I know its on DirecTV.

I don't know what channel that is (I have Adelphia), but the coverage from Saturday July 1st., 2006 was shown in its entirety on CSPAN-1.

TheHalf

tommie, lol, yake a look at a map. just southeast of the dominican republic you will see this little banana republic. a bit too far away.

i was reading an article where antiterror folks mentioned how vulnerable oil tank farms and natural gas tank farms are to fire from a .50 cal rifle.

what if somebody watching the launch from his RV waited for the right time (just when they ignite the solid rocket boosters at liftoff) to fire a few rounds from his RV wondow into a booster? that would take the thing out. how far is that public viewing area from the pad? a mile away would be an easy shot at such a large target with a decent scope.