Outlook Express Problems !!

tommie gorman

OK, I used to not get e-mail inbound. Contacted Hughes.net ISP who gotmy inbound e-mail working. Which I now cannot send out e-mail. When recontacting my ISP they replied it was a microsoft issue. I contacted my comp. tech support (e-machines) who said it was a restore point to the beginning issue(that I would lose all files). I asked about it being a microsoft issue, and they said it would not hurt.

Microsoft Help and Support:

Windows XP and Windows XP SP1: Edit the registry and install Internet Explorer 6

Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.When you try to reinstall the same version of Internet Explorer, you may receive the following error message:

Setup has detected a newer version of Internet Explorer already installed on this system.

Setup cannot continue.

To avoid this error message and reinstall the same version of Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, follow these steps: 1. While you are logged on as an administrator, click Start, and then click Run.

2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.

3. Locate the appropriate registry subkey, right-click the IsInstalled (REG_DWORD) value, and then click Modify.

To reinstall only the Internet Explorer 6 browser component on Windows XP, use the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftActive SetupInstalled Components{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}

To reinstall only Outlook Express 6 on Windows XP, use the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftActive SetupInstalled Components{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}

4. Change the value data from 1 to 0, and then click OK.

5. Quit Registry Editor, and then install Internet Explorer 6. 

6. To reinstall Windows XP updates, visit the following Microsoft Windows Update Web site:

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/)

The red area being a little scary. I thought I would ask for help. Or would you just reformat from C. D.'s ? Not my first choice of course!

It's really not complicated or dangerous if you follow the instructions carefully... they just have that so they don't get sued if someone starts messing around and kills their system.

first backup your stuff. then to a restore and if it works then your good. if it still doesn't work format and start over.

one thing you might want to try before you do any of that is a alliterative email client like thunderbird.

If I had to do a back to the beginning restore point, I would porbably just do a reformat. only takes 3-4 hrs. and runs clean again.

Would I have to start all over with my e-mail setup if I redid the Outlook express? (call my ISP and new e-mail address)?

If so I guess I am looking at a reformat!  :(

Would I have to start all over with my e-mail setup if I redid the Outlook express? (call my ISP and new e-mail address)?

you would just have to re enter your email account info.

have you tried a 3rd party email client yet? i would do that before you do anything