Barebone System

amc11890

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and the fact taht the true 3800+ is a dual core...and this isnt :)

True 3800+?  The 3800+ Venice was out before the 3800+ X2, so it would be, in fact, the true 3800+.

The 3800+ Venice is an alright chip, but you could easily get the 3000+ or 3200+ to 2.4GHz very easily.  I run my 3000+ Venice at 2.66GHz 24/7 without problems.

However, if you do plan on overclocking, I'd suggest the Opteron 144 as it has a 1MB cache.  If you can get it to 2.8GHz, you have an FX-57 for $170.

True 3800+?  The 3800+ Venice was out before the 3800+ X2, so it would be, in fact, the true 3800+.

The 3800+ Venice is an alright chip, but you could easily get the 3000+ or 3200+ to 2.4GHz very easily.  I run my 3000+ Venice at 2.66GHz 24/7 without problems.

However, if you do plan on overclocking, I'd suggest the Opteron 144 as it has a 1MB cache.  If you can get it to 2.8GHz, you have an FX-57 for $170.

yeah i was reading some reviews and someones managed to get it up to 2.8ghz.  I will definately consider that over the amd 64 3800.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103533

You think they're actually going to have the more expensive revision in their cheapo barebones?

what's the difference between those two...i can't see any

nevermind it's a difference in voltage 1.35 vs 1.35/1.4

I have a ASRock K7S41 with a Sempron 2400+ 1.67Ghz OCed to 2.0 and it runs great. And yes they are easy to overclock. I wish mine had all the options as the one I gave you a link to. Did you read the second link to OCWorkbench. You can really work that board. Here is the link again.

http://www.ocworkbench.com/2005/asrock/reviews/939Dual-SATA2/g1.htm

yeah i was reading some reviews and someones managed to get it up to 2.8GHz.  I will definately consider that over the amd 64 3800.

so many factors come in when you start overclocking.....you need good ram, good motherboard, good power supply - on top of that, you have different production weeks for processors = different steppings - there is absolutely no guarantee you will be able to o/c as good as the next person

so many factors come in when you start overclocking.....you need good ram, good motherboard, good power supply - on top of that, you have different production weeks for processors = different steppings - there is absolutely no guarantee you will be able to o/c as good as the next person

You don't need good RAM, that's where the divider comes in, if you can't afford it.

Yeah i fully understand that. 

I'd have to suggest against s940 CPUs, :P.

You don't need good RAM, that's where the divider comes in, if you can't afford it.

I'd have to suggest against s940 CPUs, :P.

whats the point of overclocking your processor if you are going to run your ram on the worst divider possible - you might create a bottleneck in your system by doing this - so yes, to have a good o/c you do need good ram - if you cant afford it, then you are stuck with whatever you have - thats besides the point

whats the point of overclocking your processor if you are going to run your ram on the worst divider possible - you might create a bottleneck in your system by doing this - so yes, to have a good o/c you do need good ram - if you cant afford it, then you are stuck with whatever you have - thats besides the point

So in my case, it would be pointless to overclock my CPU 850MHz if I had to use a divider in order to do so?  That makes a lot of sense.

I do use a divider, anyways, with my RAM at 243MHz.

If you buy cheap RAM and overclock your CPU and still keep it around 200MHz, you're doing great.

so the entire theory about having your cpu running with your ram in 1:1 is useless you say ?

It's not a theory, and I never said it was useless.  1:1 is the goal of most overclockers, however, it's not necessary for a good overclock.  Running a divider is not a bad thing, especially if you have RAM that can't go much above 200MHz.

You have no idea what you're talking about.  Nothing I have said is wrong, you just don't think you can have a good OC without overclocking your RAM, and you can.  If you don't have good RAM, there's no reason to not OC your CPU just because of your RAM.  It's like saying, if money was not a problem, that there's no reason to get a 3800+ Venice instead of a 3000+ Venice.  When in fact there is a 600MHz difference, yet both CPUs will run memory at 200MHz.

Use your brain.

well it doesnt really matter anyways becuase when you over clock your CPU eveything in your system gets over clocked becuse your front side bus goes up.

That's what a divider does, it makes your RAM start at a default speed of say, 166MHz instead of the normal 200MHz.  That way, when you put your FSB up, it's not overclocking your ram until you break 200MHz again.