how u rockd ur independence day????

karthic

Hey anyone ,I know my post on the colonization of the new country was not completely accurate, and the Dutch/German nations were involved ,

at school in the UK , American history was not taught , I  can name the Kings of Spain , etc. I only learned a few years back what a minuetman was , apart from a rocket ,LOL

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi roco

thanks for the information on america i thought to this day that noone never colonised america

your wellcome Karthic , But my explanation is from British sources , so may not be fully accurate , ( see my previous post )

Regards Roco  UK

p.S

to colonize = to settle in

to conquer = to win by force

I used all my shells and other good stuff last 4th of July so all i had was bottle rockets and firecrackers but i made a nice firework by combining both. The quick-wicks do suck

Hi ShankeD  :icon_thumright:, wellcome to the forum

A maiden fan,  got any black Sabbath/ deep purple, my entire collection went walk about after a house move ,  :ooh:

Regards Roco UK

and another thing did america got its independence from the british???

no no no no no no no!!!!!!!!    america was never invaded by anyone (i ve read it in my history text books man)

The original 13 colonies were under English rule. Actually america was invaded by us.

July fourth is Independence Day in the United States, a day when Americans commemorate the signing, in 1776, of the Declaration of Independence, a document that formally severed political ties with Britain, then America's colonial ruler.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

"It's not as if we were waiting for July 4, 1776 to act as an independent country. For the previous year and a quarter or so, there had been an active civil war against the British overlord going on," he says. " July 4, 1776 is the moment when there is the official statement that there is no turning back; we're not going to hope any more for a reconciliation."

In a sense, the Declaration of Independence, represented "a kind of a wishful thinking that 'if we say it is so, it will be so!'" Sloan says. "It was an investment by those who signed it to actually make good on the promise of independence and to let the rest of the world know 'we're extremely serious about this.'"

"Liberty and freedom have been rallying cries throughout our history, whether it's 'a new birth of freedom' of Lincoln in the Civil War, or 'The Four Freedoms' of Roosevelt in World War II," Foner says. "It's no accident, that President Bush gave the name 'Operation Iraqi Freedom' to the war in Iraq because somehow associating a military venture with the ideal of freedom is a time-honored way of mobilizing popular support for that effort."

Herbert Sloan notes that unlike many nations, the United States does not link its origins to a military victory. In 1776, when independence was declared, the British surrender was more than six years off.

He says that founding father "John Adams is famous for saying it wasn't the military part that mattered but it was 'the change,' as he put it, 'in the hearts and minds of Americans before 1775. That was the real revolution.'"

While July 4th has been American freedom's symbolic anniversary since its founding, the U.S. Congress did not make Independence Day a federal holiday until 1870.

Despite the solemn principles embodied in the Declaration of Independence, McDonald believes its commemoration should be joyful. "I think it's somewhat appropriate that Americans gather together with family and friends and other members of the community and shoot off fireworks and have backyard barbeques." Professor McDonald suggests that that is what being a free person may really be all about - celebrating life -- and giving thanks to all those who've contributed to our freedom.

July 4th is critical to your success and happiness.  However, I am afraid many people just don

did anybody told u to write answer for the question?? fallow earth

such a long answer i am reminded of my school days again!  lol!!!!!!

anyway the pics attached are really good man!!!!!! where did u got those paintings?????

I guess it was a little long.

I guess I get a little carried about patriotism.

I think it was indepedence day pics in google.

Pics:

http://www.americaslibrary.gov/cgi-bin/page.cgi/aa/presidents/adams/jefferson_1

http://home.att.net/~nyancients/

http://www.campaignleadership.com/blogger/2005_07_01_archive.html

:cool:

Did fallow earth post in here?

oh sorry tommie

i saw a previous post of fallow earth and with that MIND i posted his name instead of yours

its my fault, all those credits of long answers and those really beautiful paintings are yours man!!!!!!!!!

really sorry tom !!!!!!

it was actually a perfect answer...to the question that was at hand which was basically...what's independence day all about?...what are the origins of the ceremony?

So, who said the assignment had to be self written.

I did pull it from several different writings. It was my conglomeration.

That was not the only link, but a good start.  I had to choose the writing, and mix it up so as to make sense and sound good. Old sayings are seldom self made, they are passed on.

And you liked it.  :evil6:

Yes, good answer

Glad to be of service Roco.  :lol:

I wonder what Stank_Ho's answer would have been, if self written?  :evil6:

Thanks T.G. you info is allways much appreciated by me at least :D  ,

I think we will have to add a disclaimer to our Sig's, LOL

Roco  UK

Glad to be of service Roco.  :lol:

I wonder what Stank_Ho's answer would have been, if self written?  :evil6:

I wouldn't have bothered in the first place. And yes, you should at least quote where you're copying and pasting from. That would be the right thing to do anyway. Give the right person credit for your spam. :evil6:

well tommie...i don't care where u got it...a little here a little there a little outta ur head...it was still great reading...and i'm sure a learning experience for many...

i had no idea that american history could be mistaught in other countries...and if they are misguiding they're kids about us...are we misguiding our kids about them?? wow this could be quite a can of worms...propaganda i believe is what this used to be called